Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprinter Sacre

Options
  • 18-02-2012 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I think the most exciting novice chaser since Azertyioup deserves his own thread. His novice achievements have arguably put him on the verge of superstar status already. Only yesterday he posted a RPR of 171, on the bridle, out of novice company, on his third chase start.

Plenty of nay sayers on here for weeks who have suggested he is all hype but greatness awaits with this horse and that will be confirmed when he wins the Arkle.

70543418.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

If i owned him i'd be so tempted to go for the Champion Chase. He destroyed a fair yard stick in French Opera yesterday.

I know he was getting weight but it was still so impressive. I know some people will stay stick to novice chasing as long as you can but with the horse in this form i think you have to go for the big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I disagree.

I'm a fan of keeping novices to novice races at the Festival. He is only six, there is plenty of time for him to tackle the Champion Chase yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Could he get the Gold Cup distance in a few years I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭JimDeChamp

He made them look like handicappers yesterday.. To me he's streets ahead of the other novices out their. If I owned him I'd let him take his place in the arkle, I wouldn't get carried away with myself and run him in the champion, but in saying that I stil don't think theirs anything to beat him in the champion...!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭JimDeChamp

Yesterday he looked like 2mile 4 wouldnt be a problem, so I don't see why in time he wouldn't be a gold cup horse...!

• Advertisement

My reasoning behind the Champion Chase is that you never know what will happen with a horse. He could get injured or not be in form come 12 months for the champion.

Ordinarily i'd stick novices to novices but after yesterday it has to be a thought in the owners/trainers mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Horse hardly deserves his own thread. Would have been a much better idea to start an Arkle thread imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

Goldcupfav wrote: »
    Would have been a much better idea to start an Arkle thread imo.

Start one so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

HigginsJ wrote: »
    If i owned him i'd be so tempted to go for the Champion Chase.

Two words: Gloria Victis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Taking on Sizing Europe and co on only his 4th chase run is a dangerous thing. They will be going a lot faster down that hill than he has ever been before and many a novice has ended up on the deck.

More experience needed before he steps up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

class. just class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Looks like the Arkle winner no doubt but you never know in racing & has tough opposition in Al Ferof on the day both turn up fit & well.

No point going for Champion Chase IMO he would not beat Sizing Europe this season with the form SE has showed us this year!

The festival cannot start quick enough....going to be possibly three short priced & possible odds on favs starting the 1st day Hurricane Fly, Sprinter Sacre & Quevega!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Two words: Gloria Victis

Captain Christy, Make a stand, Hors la loi and im sure a hatfull others I cant remember off the top of my head, and incidently Gloria Victis's demise had absolutley nothing to do with being a novice, he was injured prior to the fall according to McCoy and would have suffered the same fate regardless.

Goldcupfav wrote: »
    Horse hardly deserves his own thread. Would have been a much better idea to start an Arkle thread imo.

Disagree, he is the most exciting Novice I have seen and I dont say that lightly, I cant find fault tbh, he seems to have it all slight question mark of whether he will come up hill after last year, but tbh he might not need to come off the bridle, I have never been so happy about a 5/2 docket this far in advance!

Disagree, he is the most exciting Novice I have seen and I dont say that lightly, I cant find fault tbh, he seems to have it all slight question mark of whether he will come up hill after last year, but tbh he might not need to come off the bridle, I have never been so happy about a 5/2 docket this far in advance!

You weren't so happy the other day when you were talking up Peddler's Cross to the high heavens saying he has a very realistic chance to turn the form at Cheltenham and he could justify favouritism for the Arkle.

Huntey wrote: »
    You weren't so happy the other day when you were talking up Peddler's Cross to the high heavens saying he has a very realistic chance to turn the form at Cheltenham and he could justify favouritism for the Arkle.

Again you fail at basic reading skills I repeatedly stated it was my opinion that Sprinter Sacre would win but that it wasnt beyond the realms of possibility that Peddlers Cross could be backed on the day, its rather simple I wish you could keep up ;)

Again you fail at basic reading skills I repeatedly stated it was my opinion that Sprinter Sacre would win but that it wasnt beyond the realms of possibility that Peddlers Cross could be backed on the day, its rather simple I wish you could keep up ;)

Simple is an apt term. Most people saw your comments so no point disguising anything at this stage.

I have no time for idiocy though so I'll be leaving it there.

Simple is an apt term. Most people saw your comments so no point disguising anything at this stage.

Yes most people saw my comments and were, unlike yourself, able to comprehend them. I am not disguising anyhting you are the one who brought it up???

If you have no time for idiocy, I suggest you dont spend too much time in your own company ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Yes most people saw my comments and were, unlike yourself, able to comprehend them. I am not disguising anyhting you are the one who brought it up???

If you have no time for idiocy, I suggest you dont spend too much time in your own company ;)

Huntey..you love a good argument :-)

Peddlers I think will run better than his lat day out and to be honest I was thinking along the same lines before the weekend. It's hard to see sprinter sacre been beaten after the weekend..also after seeing Nicky h's interview on ATR yesterday it says it all..he used the word "scary" to highlight how good he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

French opera was 6 lengths away giving sprinter sacre 5 pounds on his seasonal debut.
    Just putting it out there and I know he could have won as he liked was impressive to watch anyway.
    I think Peddlers will give him a race at cheltenham anyway as I rate him better than sprinter sacres rivals from the last day.
    Hes justified favouritism now that's for sure

• Advertisement

Confirmed he wont be going for the CC. Pity

http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2012/0219/alferof_sprintersacre.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sensible decision although it would have made the CC a hell of a lot more interesting.

Looks special and will absolutely mangle them in the Arkle providing he gets round safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

mdwexford wrote: »
    Sensible decision although it would have made the CC a hell of a lot more interesting.

Looks special and will absolutely mangle them in the Arkle providing he gets round safely.
    Agree with you Wexford. That's the accum bet sorted. Are you going this year? If so I'll have a pint with you on Tue or Wendsday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

And would have put nearly every ante post bet I have in danger. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

newuser89 wrote: »
    French opera was 6 lengths away giving sprinter sacre 5 pounds on his seasonal debut.
    Just putting it out there and I know he could have won as he liked

Exactly, So it doesn't matter how far away French opera was at the end. BG took a pull on him if my eyes didn't decieve me less than a furlong out.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Agree with you Wexford. That's the accum bet sorted. Are you going this year? If so I'll have a pint with you on Tue or Wendsday.

Afraid not, wish I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Interesting that Timeform still rate Al Ferof higher than Sprinter Sacre

Lol that Al Ferof run is hugely overrated.
    He never looked like winning, will be in handicaps next season.

SS is the Champion Chaser elect.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

Scaring them off before they even line up.

Long live the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

Lol that Al Ferof run is hugely overrated.
    He never looked like winning, will be in handicaps next season.

SS is the Champion Chaser elect.

Loving the hype about this horse. It's funny how people discount Al ferofs chances when he put in a good run against anything better then SS has run against.

Didn't back him last year but loved how he bombed up the hill.

I can see ruby going for this a long way out.

Should be a great race

Advertisement