Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprinter Sacre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Re Sprinter Sacre today, I agree with RL. I hope Cue Card & Flemenstar run to marks in the mid to high 170s in order to see can SS blast us with a rating that might never be conquered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Strangely all the calls that Grandouet was over rated on what he'd actually achieved on the track before the champion hurdle and again before the Aintree hurdle, won by the muppet horse, have yet to be bumped.

Just be glad that Grandouet was well and truly hammered yesterday with absolutely no excuses. That will surely put some of the loudmouths back in their boxes for a while!

As for Sprinter Sacre - his moment of truth has arrived. By far the biggest test of his life beckons and I would certainly not be backing him at 1/3. A race to savour and if he wins by 10L+ then we can say without hesitation that he is one of the greatest steeplechasers of all time. I have decided not to have a bet but, if forced, would be a layer of SS - history has shown that there are far more potentially great horses than actually prove to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Just be glad that Grandouet was well and truly hammered yesterday with absolutely no excuses.

Even his most fervant detractors can acknowledge that there isn't "absolutely no excuses". In any case talk of Grandouet is way off topic so hopefully somebody can remove these posts.
    As for Sprinter Sacre - his moment of truth has arrived. By far the biggest test of his life beckons and I would certainly not be backing him at 1/3. A race to savour and if he wins by 10L+ then we can say without hesitation that he is one of the greatest steeplechasers of all time. I have decided not to have a bet but, if forced, would be a layer of SS - history has shown that there are far more potentially great horses than actually prove to be the case.

I'll force you, how much would you lay me at 1/3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lads this is a Sprinter Sacre thread, not the Grandouet digs thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Absolutely agree with this.

Apparent good things are beaten every day. Otherwise we would all be buying money from the bookies.

In the Melling, Cue Card ticks most if not all the trend boxes, has 2 massive speed ratings from Nick Mordin this year. I will be a backer of CC at 6/1 rather than a layer of SS at 1/3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Gold Cup 2014 anyone?

Probably won't be seen this season, I'd be surprised and disappointed if he was rushed back for Cheltenham. Can't say it's a bad thing, he had a tough campaign last year and in hindsight should never have been brought over to slog around Punchestown in the muck. If he wasn't seen on a track again it wouldn't bother me, he was invincible on his day and it would be a shame for him to have lost any of that aura. His legacy has been cemented in terms of how good he is over the trips he encountered. It is difficult to gauge him against horses like Flyingbolt and Arkle but he is undoubtedly the greatest horse of the modern era. A season break could do the world of good and when he more than likely reappears I hope his performance is indicative of the ability he has shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Does this kind of thing happen much, its all very odd. They are saying there were no problems with his heart during his gallop today.

I think they will run him in Cheltenham.

It looked to me that they were starting to get away from him the other day and Barry didn't want to give him a tough race. The conditions were horrible and he may just have been in need of a run, either way it wasn't ideal. I'd suspect he is just feeling the effects of a tough campaign, the fact he reappeared so late would suggest he has taken longer than usual to come back to himself. A season off to freshen him up would be the best option in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Does this kind of thing happen much, its all very odd. They are saying there were no problems with his heart during his gallop today.

I think they will run him in Cheltenham.
    Only in hendersons yard.. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Huntley wrote: »
    It looked to me that they were starting to get away from him the other day and Barry didn't want to give him a tough race. The conditions were horrible and he may just have been in need of a run, either way it wasn't ideal. I'd suspect he is just feeling the effects of a tough campaign, the fact he reappeared so late would suggest he has taken longer than usual to come back to himself. A season off to freshen him up would be the best option in my view.

So do you think they fabricated his heart condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's not unheard of for that type of condition to 'appear' and then heal itself. I've seen it happen in a few yards before. The problem is trying to figure out what caused the irregular heartbeat. It could have just been a mild illness which didn't display any symptoms before the race. Or it could be something more serious, like a severe virus, or a dicky heart. It could be something which will only show up when the horse is under pressure, rather than just out for a light hack on the gallop. The fact that they're monitoring him so closely when working shows that they're not sure what caused it, and that it will take time to figure out exactly how serious it is/could be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Regardless, had a right punt at 10/11 for march, NRNB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Regardless, had a right punt at 10/11 for march, NRNB

Where's the 10/11 NRNB?

Way shorter with Ladbrokes, PP & Bet365 who are the only firms I can see NRNB on Oddschecker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Apologies, NRFB with bv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Apologies, NRFB with bv

If he doesnt run you wont get your free bet stake back if your free bet wins. I think their offer is 100 any one event and only counts on your first selection in the event.

I thought I was being all clever 50ew Simonsig at 4/1 and now look, bastards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

****ing lightweight!

In December 1966, Arkle raced in the King George VI Chase at kempton park but struck the guard rail with a hoof when jumping the open ditch, which resulted in a fractured pedal bone; despite this injury, he completed the race and finished second.
    A real champion.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Update here on Sprinter Sacre:

http://www.irishracing.com/news?prid=74302&headline=-Big-step-forward-for-Sacre

He's done a little more cantering work and all went well, but a mile in January may not be enough to get to Cheltenham.

Probably won't be seen this season, I'd be surprised and disappointed if he was rushed back for Cheltenham. Can't say it's a bad thing, he had a tough campaign last year and in hindsight should never have been brought over to slog around Punchestown in the muck. If he wasn't seen on a track again it wouldn't bother me, he was invincible on his day and it would be a shame for him to have lost any of that aura. His legacy has been cemented in terms of how good he is over the trips he encountered. It is difficult to gauge him against horses like Flyingbolt and Arkle but he is undoubtedly the greatest horse of the modern era. A season break could do the world of good and when he more than likely reappears I hope his performance is indicative of the ability he has shown.

He was certainly lacking some of that unbeatable aura today. He didn't tank through his race like he used to and had to be cajoled in to his fences at times. He bled today unfortunately which would have affected him but I'm not convinced he will ever be the horse of old. He might still be good enough to win the Champion Chase but if they can't get him back to his unimpeachable best than he shouldn't see a track again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

He was certainly lacking some of that unbeatable aura today. He didn't tank through his race like he used to and had to be cajoled in to his fences at times. He bled today unfortunately which would have affected him but I'm not convinced he will ever be the horse of old. He might still be good enough to win the Champion Chase but if they can't get him back to his unimpeachable best than he shouldn't see a track again.

I hate all this talk of retiring a horse. Surely today's performance shows he's al-right again and you said it yourself, he might still win the Champion Chase. If horses are able to put in performances where they are coming second in Grade 2's, they are well entitled to race until they are 12 or 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

His jumping was poor, his first proper run back in over a year, as you mentioned he was being cajoled along. I wasn't aware he bled and surely that's another thing to the list to know we can expect more next time out. I thought there was positives to take from that but certainly that buzz is gone. Watching UDS jumping gives me the same feeling as sprinter sacre, absolutely bolting towards the fences and giving you a semi-heart attack at each fence he jumps!. HE's not the same as the horse than won the champion chase but he may well be the same horse that beat sizing europe at punchestown. Regardless he's good enough on that showing to run in March, whether he's back to what he was he has a good chance to win a weak enough champion chase. I always wondered if he was a bridle merchant similar to master minded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Do you not think he came alive when he was given more rein and got into a more forward position. I would be surprised if he was more than 80% fit today, I think the idea was just to get him around in one piece and see how they are fixed.

He would have to regress the guts of a stone to give the others a shout, De Grugy was low 170s and had a leg so he could well regress. Of the others Uxizandre and Dodging Bullets have scope for improvement into the 170s but how far it's hard to tell. I think Uxizandre is the better of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Has the bounce factor been discussed anywhere yet? Surely a big danger of it happening at Cheltenham. Id have thought they'd give him a run between now and then to make sure it wasn't a factor in the Champion Chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Arctic89 wrote: »
    Has the bounce factor been discussed anywhere yet? Surely a big danger of it happening at Cheltenham. Id have thought they'd give him a run between now and then to make sure it wasn't a factor in the Champion Chase.

Don't think Henderson has the nerve to run him again before festival. He'll have a good racecourse gallop in place I'd say

Arctic89 wrote: »

While the bounce happens I think more so if a horse is 100% fit on their reappearance.

He should go straight there, let him down and build him back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

the race is there for the taking if sdg come back in the same form

they'll all be playing for second imo
    my gut is that ss won't be winning this year

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Reminds me a lot of the big bucks come back. They don't come back, he will prob travel well but will empty coming up the hill and finish legless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Reminds me a lot of the big bucks come back. They don't come back, he will prob travel well but will empty coming up the hill and finish legless.

Coneygree was off the track for the guts off 2 years and he has come back a better animal. I think SS will annihilate them in March.

You mean the horse with the leg injury that returned to the track at the age of 11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

mailburner wrote: »
    the race is there for the taking if sdg come back in the same form

they'll all be playing for second imo
    my gut is that ss won't be winning this year

Same form? The same form it took to beat bridesmaids like Hidden Cyclone and Somersby will not be enough to win this years renewal in all likelihood, even Sprinter Sacre aside the likes of DB, CF and Al Ferof are classier than what showed up last year. He won as bad a QMCC as we'll see in a long time

Advertisement