Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL courses -worth it or not?

• 18-02-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I know there are numerous threads on the merits of some and the lack of for others but seeing as I'm planning to go to Japan to teach is it worth my while doing a tefl course like i-to-i?

I see some people say they are worthless and lots of job sites say a tefl course isn't a requirement so would I be doing it just for myself to get a feel for the teaching aspect without actually improving prospects of employment?

Also if i was to do one is there much difference between doing a fully online course and a combined course apart from the obvious? I mean in terms of whether or not a school looks more favourably on it?

Thanks a mil.

Must say I have a degree and masters and also teach asylum seekers volunterily if it makes any odds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I know there are numerous threads on the merits of some and the lack of for others but seeing as I'm planning to go to Japan to teach is it worth my while doing a tefl course like i-to-i?

I see some people say they are worthless and lots of job sites say a tefl course isn't a requirement so would I be doing it just for myself to get a feel for the teaching aspect without actually improving prospects of employment?

Also if i was to do one is there much difference between doing a fully online course and a combined course apart from the obvious? I mean in terms of whether or not a school looks more favourably on it?

Thanks a mil.

Must say I have a degree and masters and also teach asylum seekers volunterily if it makes any odds.

i-to-i is a waste of time and money. Do a one month course or don't bother at all. Make your own online certificate in photoshop. It is much better to pay the extra to do a CELT or a CELTA or a Trinity TESOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

Do you have a job to go to in Japan ? Are you going as part of the JET scheme ?
    If not do research as to what qualifications you'd be expected to have, not just for work but also for visas. Google Dave's ESL cafe and ask there.

My honest opinion tho' ? If you expect someone to pay you for doing a job then you should be qualified to do that job. As said by a previous poster CELTA or CELT are the ones to go for.

Advertisement