Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Respawn Entertainments "COD KILLER"

• 18-02-2012 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

As everyone has probably already heard, the creators of Call of Duty were fired from Activision for "conspiring against the company" depending on who you listen to. Nevertheless the original IW, Jason West and Vince Zampella turned FPS into what they are today - COD4 was the standard and has yet to be beaten.

After signing up with EA now, they have set up their own study called Respawn and will release their "COD KILLER" next March. Forget about Activisions IW - it's a shell, a name with none of the contents. The real IW have crossed over and if there is anyone that knows how to beat COD, it has to be the very creators of it, right? It will be interesting to see what they come up with - we can catch a glimpse of what COD might have been had the relationship not gone sour.

All there is to go on at this early stage is a released blurred pic. It looks like a factory in the distance (some are saying dinosaurs), and some kind of building to the left - any input?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdaKsHrNS4nXBCoBIGHrYJkcAI1qEP2LOMYk8vK9p8VZAP12HxC46oNmkA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

A few more Pics, the Mo cap pic more or less confirms theres guns anyway :P

193272.jpg

193273.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Best news iv heard for some time

All hail respawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

This game is gonna be far more overhyped than it should be and won't be a cod killer for that very reason. It might be better than recent call of duty games but since it won't live up to the pedestal it's being put on people will call it crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why hype something when you've seen 3 pictures which show **** all?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

This game is gonna be far more overhyped than it should be

... as are most games these days.
    won't be a cod killer

Stating the obvious. It will take years and game upon game in quick succession for anything to kill off CoD. No one game will kill off CoD in one. For myself having played CoD since 2004, one part of CoD has been killed off for me and that's from the IW side of things. Some people will be gullible enough to continue to put up with their BS though. Reason BF will never be a successful as CoD is due to the fact 1. it's a completely different style of FPS, where tactics and teamwork are most certainly needed, lone wolfs will get torn apart besides the odd match here and there. Something which the majority of CoD audience cannot grasp. 2. It's released in a cycle of what? Every 2.. 3 years???

Not aimed at you mindazzler whatsoever, but just for clarity sake. Before having people turn their nose up at my comment re: BF, etc. I know the perception of me here from some. Get over yourself :) It is factual what I stated with regards to tactics and teamwork.

Yeah I mostly play BF3 nowadays, and despise MW3. But that's not to say I don't enjoy CoD. I love CoD for the fact that I can win matches on my own quite regularly, and the fast paced nature of it all. Smoothness of play too, though the FPS on BF honestly doesn't annoy me to the point of which some people here whined about. CoD2 and 4 (BOPS to a lesser extent and MW2 with Boardsies) were some of the most fun times I have had in online gaming, and if I could rewind the clock, it would be late 2007 when CoD4 came out.... when people actually played for fun, not their MOAB's/nukes/K/D ratio/spawn trapping and so on.
    It might be better than recent call of duty games but since it won't live up to the pedestal it's being put on people will call it crap.

036.jpg

:confused:

You'd be very naive in thinking anything else in fairness, there will always be people that will call it.. or any game crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

COD is already in decline - not bashing it (I play it more than BF3 nowadays because the only time I have time to get online is when friends are over and we play split screen). However, it's important to ALWAYS have something to look forward to and I really believe Zapella and West will produce something eye-opening.

Why?

Because they are the very one's that created this monster, this machine. Treyarch came in when the engine was already built and Activision have now just been working off updated IW engines all these years. Everything you see comes from West/Zampella - the only reason ppl are bored is because these Bowling and Vandahaar dudes are rehashing it for money every single year.

Respawn Entertainments game will be what MW3 should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I donno, CoD has never been the "best" mp shooter about, its certainly the most console friendly tho, CoD and halo have dominated the console market this entire generation. So while i'd hope they make something that's as good as CoD, just so theres a little variety in the console shooter department, im not expecting them to create a masterpiece(They've only really made CoD games, the last of which was a cluster****).

There are quite a few decent shooters being released this year tho, hopefully some of them are decent on PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Stating the obvious. It will take years and game upon game in quick succession for anything to kill off CoD. No one game will kill off CoD in one.

You'd be very naive in thinking anything else in fairness, there will always be people that will call it.. or any game crap.

I disagree that it will take years, I think it will just take a really good launch title on the next-gen consoles. One really good title with no COD to match it at the time and COD will start a real decline in sales.

Crap was a bad word to use in the context of what I was saying, it would be more accurate to say West and Zampella's game will just be widely ignored. It will be bigger than homefront but not by much I think.

Most COD players just don't know about the whole IW split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

While it's unfortunate so many of you hate the game it's really not affecting my enjoyment of it. The sales figures for the past three games indicate there's no sign of it dying out just yet. :D

• Advertisement

I disagree that it will take years, I think it will just take a really good launch title on the next-gen consoles. One really good title with no COD to match it at the time and COD will start a real decline in sales.

Crap was a bad word to use in the context of what I was saying, it would be more accurate to say West and Zampella's game will just be widely ignored. It will be bigger than homefront but not by much I think.

Most COD players just don't know about the whole IW split.
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    While it's unfortunate so many of you hate the game it's really not affecting my enjoyment of it. The sales figures for the past three games indicate there's no sign of it dying out just yet. :D

Power to ya gimli, honestly, if you love the game kudos to you or anyone for that. Give it a couple of years and then you'll learn to embrace the hate(one for wrasslin fans that) though :D :pac:

@ mindazzler The part in bold is the core of my point. I honestly for the life of me don't see sales figures dwindling anytime soon. Sure if IW released MW4 as a MW3 reskin ie: new maps, guns and not fixing it's problems. I'm sure the majority people would still love it (MW4) at least initially. The game is being dumbed down to a very large extent and makes it that bit more accessible to the masses who are casual fans I'd consider anyway, and IW from what I can see couldn't give two flying ****s about the hardcore fans and will lie to them if need be - **** you last stand!!!, to sell the game.

People are becoming more and more incapable of making definitive opinion for themselves, and a lot of people are scared of branching outside of CoD in the main. They are unwilling to play something new. Heck I was the same for a little bit regarding FPS games. But I bit the bullet, bought BF3, play with lads from outside of this place(which was extremely rare say a year ago, nowt against them obviously) and am thoroughly enjoying my gaming again for the most part. Going off tangent a little as I do at times I know. So yeah from that POV, you're right, to a certain degree Respawn Entertainment's game will be ignored... The majority of CoD fans won't give a damn who West and Zamp are, nor their role in creating CoD.

Maybe an FPS game will come rushing out of the gates for next gen consoles . Who knows? But it'll take time to build up a fan base, a long time before toppling CoD. I'd imagine for argument sake the 720 will be released 3rd if not not 4th quarter of whatever year. CoD will roll around not long after if not side by side on launch date thus crushing momentum for many launch title games in general besides maybe FIFA, and one or two others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Totally agree Ade

Activision are clearly pandering to the masses and while this really is alienating the hardcore gamers / original fans of the series it's simply not going to change while the sales figures go through the roof.

There's a lot of criticism for example that it's been dumbed down and made too easy for gamers with less skill. This is a fair point but the reality is if I was going 3-15 in every TDM fkrs like me wouldn't play it. Oh god I'm partly the reason y'all hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

I have a feeling this generation will be the last of cod anyway. Activison has a habit of destroying great franchises once they realise they can make some real easy money. They butchered Tony Hawk and tried to make Guitar Hero an annual thing which killed it. By the time the next generation of consoles rolls around I hope it gets knocked down a few pegs just so people will play some other games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Thomasheen wrote: »
    I have a feeling this generation will be the last of cod anyway. Activison has a habit of destroying great franchises once they realise they can make some real easy money. They butchered Tony Hawk and tried to make Guitar Hero an annual thing which killed it. By the time the next generation of consoles rolls around I hope it gets knocked down a few pegs just so people will play some other games

I have a sneaky feeling you could be right. The problem with CoD is that they WILL have to change things up a bit with next gen tech. It'll have to be a much nicer looking game than it is now and thus it'll probably require a new or at least heavily upgraded engine. If it still looks like it does now then it'll be left behind, i've no doubt there'll be a few shooters taking it to the next level within the first year or so after the consoles are released...

I personally would have little faith on the current IW creating a new engine that has that same CoD feel to it. we'll see... but if its going to be knocked off its perch, it'll probably be around the start of the next generation of games.

Don't remind me about the destruction of the Tony Hawk series :(

Advertisement