Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elementary [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

don ramo wrote: »
    well prepare to come to a dead stop tonight, cause 16 was the last episode aired :o:o

Until Thursday.......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

well prepare to come to a dead stop tonight, cause 16 was the last episode aired :o:o

Haha Yeah. Looking for another to fill the gap. Heard Borgen is good... so I'm gonna head onto that next :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Another good episode this week . Couple of actors out of The Wire in this episode Pryzbylewski & Bubbles .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Opinions are like anii, everyone has one

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Natalie Dormer cast as
    Irene Adler

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Natalie Dormer cast as
    Irene Adler

I think the season is building to soMething big......... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How has the show progressed from the pilot? I want to like this, I love pretty much everything Holmes related, but I didn't take to the pilot at all. I think part of the problem is that I can never get into procedural shows, I always lose interest if there isn't a major arc to the season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

How has the show progressed from the pilot? I want to like this, I love pretty much everything Holmes related, but I didn't take to the pilot at all. I think part of the problem is that I can never get into procedural shows, I always lose interest if there isn't a major arc to the season.
    It has improved quite a bit on the pilot, but it's still very much a procedural show and it's very much in the same vein as the pilot.

There was a hint at a wider arc, but there hasn't been a whole lot on it as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you're into Holmes, you might be more into mystery. This show has very little clever writing or good headscratching puzzles. It's more like Murder She Wrote where they're kind of making it up as they go along with a quirky guy. That said, it's not a bad watch if you just want to relax and switch on some tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

jesus ****ing christ another 3 week break, not back till the 25th:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

jesus ****ing christ another 3 week break, not back till the 25th:mad::mad::mad:

I'm guessing you went looking this morning like I did? Wanted something good to watch for lunch.
    What's up with all the breaks for this show? I don't remember having so many consecutive breaks on a show before.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you went looking this morning like I did? Wanted something good to watch for lunch.
    What's up with all the breaks for this show? I don't remember having so many consecutive breaks on a show before.

I take it you don't watch Criminal Minds then. Last season was beyond a joke with a two weeks breaks between episodes being the norm.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    yeah i always enjoy my elementary/person of interest fix friday evenings, and its always the case you dont have without the other, cause their on the same channel and air back to back:(:(

Last weeks episode was pretty good, albeit proceadural.....I did like their take on Ms. Hudson, interesting character twist.....and, yay Clyde!

Spoilers/synopsis for 1x21
    Moriarty + other Sherlock characters

http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/04/elementary-episode-121-landmark-story.html

^^ I think from 1x20 those who tuned out *need* to tune in, this is the real meat of what Sherlock is about! :)

^^ I think from 1x20 those who tuned out *need* to tune in, this is the real meat of what Sherlock is about! :)
    i think you mean Elementary ;)

Catching up on recent episodes and just watched number 16. The show really is something special, the mystery of the week wasn't up to much but it allowed the relationship between Holmes and Watson to develop a little more. Miller and Liu have so much chemistry that even the simplest of moments stand out. I don't think there are two other actors out there who are just so natural and likeable when onscreen together.

Getting to know a little more about Bell was good, though I was disappointed when it turned out that his brother was not a Breakout King.

Hiatus finally over....deffo watching the last 4, spoilers suggest the best episodes yet.

Episode 20 is really good. One of the best yet. So many twists and turns leaving me just as puzzled as Sherlock and Watson were as to who was responsible.
    Great scene between Watson and Sherlock just after midway through too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I heard a rumour a few days ago that
    Arnold Vosloo
    was cast as Moriarty. Could be a good choice if true - he definitely has a playful side, but can have intensity when required.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    I heard a rumour a few days ago that
    Arnold Vosloo
    was cast as Moriarty. Could be a good choice if true - he definitely has a playful side, but can have intensity when required.

Sadly it's not true. He's a great actor and one whose presence can save a bad film. His role in the finale is going to be much like Vinne Jones's earlier in the season, a villain who will initially be mistaken for Moriarity but who is in fact just another pawn.

Shame, Darko. Hopefully we actually see Moriarty in the finale.

Sadly it's not true. He's a great actor and one whose presence can save a bad film. His role in the finale is going to be much like Vinne Jones's earlier in the season, a villain who will initially be mistaken for Moriarity but who is in fact just another pawn.

No doubt this will be there ticket to stretch the Moriarty thing out over six feckin seasons......:rolleyes:

No doubt this will be there ticket to stretch the Moriarty thing out over six feckin seasons......:rolleyes:

It's a necessary evil to use him/the threat of him quite sparingly. We need to see Holmes deal with is inner turmoil before we can properly expect him to be able to stand up against Moriarty and I'd be incredibly disappointed of Moriarty was shown and defeated too early on. Having him work behind the curtain and use decoys is the way to use him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

** SPOILERS FOR BBC'S SHERLOCK - DO NOT READ UNLESS UP TO DATE! **
    I wonder will they have this Sherlock fake his own death, or how can they even begin to deal with it.

MOD EDIT: Baldy Conscience, please refrain from spoiling other shows in this thread. If you're referring to another show other than those indicated, warning and spoilers tag should be used.

That was excellent, *finally* getting into the meaty stuff and the heart of what this show SHOULD be about!

Its episodes like this that show me how great it can be, the potential...alas week after week it is ruined by run-of-the-mill proceadural crappy case of the week :rolleyes:

The problem is its on CBS, its a network show - a sheep in cable's clothing, watered down for a low brow American's take on Sherlock Holmes....i mean, Watson as a woman ffs!

Yet again we see signs of shippy relationship tropes that are the staple of these types of shows a-la Castle and Bones....the will they wont they :rolleyes:

Back to the ep. - great tv!, inventive murders + the Moriarty arc kicking off...but i'll BET yer man on the phone at the end was yet another patsy, i doubt the actor for the role has even been cast yet.

The cat and mouse stuff was downright engaging and gripping, the three episode arc to the end with Irene Adler should be ace. *this* was the show i wanted to see all along.

The deductive style is too ordinary and dross compared to the BBC's Sherlock, Jonny Lee Miller is more then capable of pulling off a Cumberbach, but US network honcho's fear stupid American's would be too dumb to follow it....so we're served up this half arsed dross for 3/4 of the season.

Bottom line....it belongs on cable.

:eek: **can-not-wait**

Btw... loved when Jonny 31 told Sherlock was a manchild, 100% accurate....he's a blubber and spoilt child throwing out his rattle in alot of eps. - you cant take this incarnation of holmes seriously!!

Jonny Lee Miller is more then capable of pulling off a Cumberbach
    why the **** would he want to, hes johnny lee miller and cumberbach is cumberbach, similar material their playing off but in different ways, it would be pointless making it on cable when you have the BBC version, what can american cable do to the show that the BBC cant, you also have previous versions of TV shows, and films, were probably gonna get another RDJ film to round off the trilogy also,

the show will play out exactly like castle but with a smarter, less stable lead, we probably wont get to see moriarty this season, it might be held back till season 2s mid season break, as long as they keep the conversations sharp witty and insulting in only a way youd expect sherlock to be, the show will remain good, you can almost see it already that by season 4 or 5 the writer will get lazy, probably by mid season 3 if not sooner sherlock will have a relapse, its predictable, but it doesnt mean its not a good show that could be great,

The deductive style is too ordinary and dross compared to the BBC's Sherlock, Jonny Lee Miller is more then capable of pulling off a Cumberbach, but US network honcho's fear stupid American's would be too dumb to follow it....so we're served up this half arsed dross for 3/4 of the season.

Bottom line....it belongs on cable.

That is such complete and utter nonsense. Why in Gods name would Miller or anyone involved in the show want him to ape the style of another actor who has played the role. Elementary works extremely well and the lack of Holmes making great leaps of logic is an asset. Much as I liked the English version, many of Holmes deductions made no sense and came across as the writers desperately trying to look smarter than they were.

As for it belonging on cable, again complete and utter crap. You, like many others make the assumption that sex and violence is what makes a show adult when in fact the most adult shows are the ones that don't need to show any skin or people having their faces caved in. I love the laid back feel of Elementary, each week we are served up an interesting mystery and watch it unfold alongside two of the most likeable people on TV. I'd hate to see the show retooled so as to focus on sex and violence.

As for your stupid Americans remark, well considered that most of TV's smartest shows come from America it's clear that you're just insulting people for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

ANyone else think Lucy Liu is a bit flat when it comes to acting? I like the show, and like that they chose to go down a different route with the Holmes story with a female Watson, but she doesn't, to me at least, seem like a person capable of deduction. Things started bright with Liu at the start, but I'm finding it tough to warm to her.

Maybe that will change, but I definitely see a big difference in character from when the show started to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I wasn't expecting to warm to Lucy Liu but I really enjoy her as Watson. I know what you mean about noticing a change in her acting style though. However, she is playing a different role to the first half of the season. She was Holmes' glorified babysitter in the first half, and is now his protégé.

Not a lot of real time has passed since they first met, so she is still very new to the game. I enjoy her small successes, and it's nice to see Holmes take such an interest in her progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I have to say I'm really enjoying this show - it is much more than I expected it to be.

Nate

I like the sound of this!....season 2 premiere to shot on location in London!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cbs-elemenary-to-film-second-season-premiere-in-london/

She was to me the woman...excellent Sherlock refrence. Anyone notice Miller swore during one scene, they muted it.....this fu*cing taste it my mouth is horrid, he goes up stairs to brush his teeth. I guess Miller really got into that scene and went off script.

The...the end :eek: - omg!....so is she her?...twin sister?, doppleganger?....or someone who just looks like her?....to teach Sherlock a lesson?.

The woman seems to mirror the Sutter situation, manipulating Holmes....but if it is her :eek:

The...the end :eek: - omg!....so is she her?...twin sister?, doppleganger?....or someone who just looks like her?....to teach Sherlock a lesson?.

The woman seems to mirror the Sutter situation, manipulating Holmes....but if it is her :eek:

definitely her, anyone who knows anything about sherlock holmes knows its her, shes renowned for being very smart yet is easily manipulated also, or maybe more easily taken advantage of, she generally thinks shes smarter than she actually is,

• Advertisement

I loved the reaction by JLM when he saw her at the end of the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, giving the full quivering lip treatment!

he nearly collapsed! :(

He could have just cocked his head with a bemused look (the way Sherlock normally deals with a puzzle). His actual reaction dropped his facade for a few moments. Powerful TV and well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

in hindsight i guess as soon as they gender swapped 1 character its was elementary what would follow from that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

in hindsight i guess as soon as they gender swapped 1 character its was elementary what would follow from that

Sherlock has no need for hindsight. I don't think gender swapping Watson has anything to do with the Moriarity reveal.
    It is a great reveal, combining 2 characters as one, both having been total head****s to Holmes throughout the series. I'm sure it won't be the last we've seen of her.

This was a really great Watson episode. She has come into her own and now by the end of this season they seem to have a really balanced relationship.

I'm happy with the finale - no cliffhanger and we get a reveal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm genuinely blown away by the finale. I loved JLM's reaction too but to see him play the part at the end and catch her out was fantastic. Also something other shows could learn from was we actually got a reveal at the end, not sure cliffhanger ****e!

i doubt irene/moriarty will be held up for to long, i liked the reveal and all that but i still dont buy that shes moriarty, i think shes just another puppet like M was,

she played the part well, definitely had the confidence and intellect to do what was done but i just cant buy that irene as moriarty, its only season 1 of what is looking like at least a 7 season show, i foresee man twists to come,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

i doubt irene/moriarty will be held up for to long, i liked the reveal and all that but i still dont buy that shes moriarty, i think shes just another puppet like M was,

she played the part well, definitely had the confidence and intellect to do what was done but i just cant buy that irene as moriarty, its only season 1 of what is looking like at least a 7 season show, i foresee man twists to come,

I'd agree with that - if it does turn into a multi-season show theres nothing to stop the writers introducing a new "real" Moriarty further down the line. If it wrapped up now though I'd say well done.
    Irene / Moriarty will be back though -
    we haven't had a "Sherlock is dead"/Reichenbach Falls scene yet and thats compulsory for Holmes vs. Moriarty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Also think they wrapped up the character of Moriarty a little too cleanly.. I don't buy it!

Superb finale though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

we havn't seen mycroft yet have we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I was just thinking that myself :) Really enjoyed the finale.

Nate

he hasnt even been mentioned,

+1....i dont buy that Irene is M either, i'm sure Doherty had the finale wrote before the pickup for season 2, and with Sherlocj returning to London next season, to me it smells like Irene was a patsy.

Superb tv though, just watched it through twice....extremely well written and acted, gripping tv, beliveable and electric chemistry between irene and sherlock.

You could see how they fell for each other and fell in love, which ultimately destroyed both of them. The plan was genius in its execution....and how Sherlock used her love and Watson, a woman, solved her puzzle when sherlock couldn't :)

5/5

he hasnt even been mentioned,

Who is Moycroft...his brother?

• Advertisement
Advertisement