Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God Bless America

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

lol that looks mental

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Looks excellent!

Falling Down 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Well something has just knocked TDKR off the top of the list of films I am most looking forward to this year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Brilliant! Film stands for everything I believe in! American Idol massacre haha

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Tallon wrote: »
    This film looks like so much fun :)

Reminds me of 'Super' from that trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bobcat Goldwaith (aka one of the annoying guys from Police Academy) has been making surprisingly subversive, biting comedies recently so this has potential. World's Greatest Dad was a pitch black hoot. A tricky balance getting this sort of material right, but if the satire's strong they could pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I can't wait... :D

Redband must be getting very soft.

BTW; Why does...and this is very important..my
    local cinema advertises a G trailer from an R rated film from the
    MPAA... when they should be advertising the IFCO certificate?

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You mean it had the MPAA warning in front of it? I've seen this quite a lot. Most cinemas have digital projection now so it's easy to just slap a trailer downloaded from Apple in front of a film. I guess it happens when they don't get a proper digital copy of the trailer from the distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

You mean it had the MPAA warning in front of it? I've seen this quite a lot. Most cinemas have digital projection now so it's easy to just slap a trailer downloaded from Apple in front of a film. I guess it happens when they don't get a proper digital copy of the trailer from the distributor.

A good point.

i saw WARHORSE yesterday in Gorey and was impressed
    by the projection and then i thought why's there no end
    of reel snags...

digital.

it looked great BUT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Goldthwait just continues to impress...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Reminds me of Super with the psychotic female sidekick alright. World's Greatest Dad was fantastic and this looks even better, definitely one of my most anticipated films for the year.

Saw the first 45 minutes of this awhile back and really liked it. While not as pitch black as Worlds Greatest Dad it was a witty, original and fun film which I really cannot wait to see the rest of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just saw a trailer for this movie, anyone know when it is coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

according to the trailer not out until May, and that's a US release. will it get a wide release? I'm not sure it will actually, which is a shame because it looks like bloody good fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wow, it's living the dream :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That looks amazing, ill be keeping an eye out for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I don't know. It looks all right.

It appears to be sort of trite and banal really.

Lots of dispassionate unbiased blind shooting, coz that's funny and adequately depicts the protagonists feelings of misanthropy and anger and the theme of the movie that modern life is boring, unfulfilling and superficial, that appears to have been realised during a mid-life crisis and an inoperable brain tumour :rolleyes: (Jesus :( the originality). And that appears to be the premise and general plot. Looks sort of half baked, shallow and depthless.

Worth the price of a ticket to see him shoot up the show of American Idol or whatever the movies equivalent is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just saw this tonight as it's floating around the web. Great movie and you can't help applaud him. Not as good as Super though, which it has a lot of similarities to, but still really good. I think it's the fact that he is killing people that I (and a lot of other people) would like to kill in real life but most likely never will. I found the young sidekick girl to be a bit annoying at times, not as good as Juno in Super.

Think I'll go watch Super again, that was just brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

The trailer in the op has been removed so here it is, it looks fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just saw this tonight as it's floating around the web. Great movie and you can't help applaud him. Not as good as Super though, which it has a lot of similarities to, but still really good. I think it's the fact that he is killing people that I (and a lot of other people) would like to kill in real life but most likely never will. I found the young sidekick girl to be a bit annoying at times, not as good as Juno in Super.

Think I'll go watch Super again, that was just brilliant.

**** you frank :D

just saw it there, i liked it, i haven't seen super yet, so might give that a go some time soon, and worlds greatest dad is being talked about a bit also, so ill add it to the list:)

also wouldn't have put 19 on yer one in the film,

Is there any word on a release date yet?

don ramo wrote: »
    **** you frank :D

just saw it there, i liked it, i haven't seen super yet, so might give that a go some time soon, and worlds greatest dad is being talked about a bit also, so ill add it to the list:)

also wouldn't have put 19 on yer one in the film,

You have to check out Super its a bit twisted but quality all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Just finished watching it. It is very good.

A bit of humour, and a bit of a serious topic too!

Well worth a watch anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this film gets a mental high five

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not out in the US for a bit yet. And probably won't come to most god fearing theaters.

Tallon wrote: »
    Just finished watching it. It is very good.

A bit of humour, and a bit of a serious topic too!

Well worth a watch anyway

How have you watched this already? :confused:

Share the Love Tal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

It can be found in perfect quality in the usual places!

Playboy wrote: »

And the same people who download and watch it will complain when the film flops yet crap like Jack and Jill makes millions. Much as I'd love to steal a copy of God Bless America I'd much prefer to wait awhile and pay for the privilege of seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playboy wrote: »

*puts on mod hat*

Yes. The cinema.

Less of the download talk, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Much as I'd love to steal a copy of God Bless America I'd much prefer to wait awhile and pay for the privilege of seeing it.

Save yourself the bother, its atrocious.

Watched it last night. Its ok, a few laughs but it was way too preachy and repetitive.

They went through their "people we'd like to kill" about 3 times and they didn't really change it much. Nothing really new in this and I reckon they could have lopped off about 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's an ok movie with a few decent laughs, though too absurd in parts that kept putting me off it.
    I was convinced he'd wake up back at his couch at the end. The fact that after all the killings they were able to travel across America in a big ol' yellow Camaro without any hassle from police and just shoot people in public spaces was daft.

Falling Down is a better, less preachy movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The trailer gives away every single kill, if you haven't watched the trailer yet, DONT

If you have watched the trailer, dont bother watching the movie, you've already seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

looks like people are starting to watch this*,

*thread descends into film bashing,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

And the same people who download and watch it will complain when the film flops yet crap like Jack and Jill makes millions. Much as I'd love to steal a copy of God Bless America I'd much prefer to wait awhile and pay for the privilege of seeing it.

This film if my memory serves me right is made by Darko Productions? Coincidental? :D

Watched this a few weeks back and loved it, so glad that I waited for the Blu-Ray as it's a film that I'm happy I supported. Going to be interesting how the film is received in the coming weeks considering events int eh US over the past week, the cinema shooting in God Bless America is sure have those look for an excuse to be offended up in arms. It would not surprise me if God Bless America was taken off sale for the considerable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will definitely try to see this when it comes out.

Will definitely try to see this when it comes out.

It's out on DVD over here and is well worth picking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Thanks will pick up a copy at some stage so.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched it recently too. I really enjoyed it for the most part, the only downside was some of the satire/social commentary was very very heavy handed at times but when it gets it right its great.

I instantly though of this movie when i heard about the shootings but I can't see it causing much of a fuss now since its already been released (although the youtube comments are awash with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07koWDo7-P0), I'm sure it would have been held back for god knows how long otherwise or even had the scene (one of the best in the film) removed.

I see Gangster Squad is having whole shoot out set in a cinema removed, even going so far as to re-shoot the sequence. Hate to hear measures like that being taken.

Just finished watching and it left me really cold. It opens with a bold, bloody shock that suggests this film is going to really challenge the viewer, but after that its trajectory is obvious and the film lacks either compelling momentum or any sort of surprise. There's a few semi-decent scenes here (the shot where Frank recognises the spoiled Super Sweet 16th attitude in his own daughter is fantastic visually and narratively), but I just couldn't keep engaged with it. I completely agree with the basic observations about the stupefying of modern culture, but the film is preachy and one-note beyond belief in this regard. Oh, another conversation along the lines of 'Hey! Know who / what sucks?' :( And then they have a lengthy conversation about the genius of Alice Cooper of all people? Seriously If it's meant to be a joke, it didn't hit the mark.

The intention of crafting a dark satire of modern culture is an admirable one, and a genuinely shocking opening suggests it might manage just that. But this is a shallow, repetitive and somewhat irritating attempt. It's that the film suggests it might really, truly engage with the ideas and themes it proposes that ultimately frustrates. In the end, all we have is a series of preachy, blunt conversations about easy targets in pop culture, an uneven buddy comedy and a series of predictable massacres. I found myself wishing for more drama rather than just characters driving from one hotel / crime scene to the next without consequences or pursuit. Lazily scripted throughout.

This isn't an awful film. It's just dull and lazy. After the much more interesting and surprising World's Greatest Dad, this is disappointingly meek. Oh well.

Advertisement