Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless please help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

smccarrick wrote: »
    ok - so the lease cannot be broken- however, the tenants might voluntarily vacate the lease if they were made aware of your predicament.
    Maybe a bit forward, bout would the tenants be more prone to moving out if they know that the landlord may not have money to fix things, should anything break down (heating, electrical stuff, plumbing, etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I thought that one of the reasons why a land lord can legally terminate a lease is if he plans on moving back into the property himself. Do I have that wrong? Granted, he will not have any rental income coming in to pay the mortgage, but I say worry about providing a roof over your head first, worry about the banks second.

OP should qualify for Job Seekers Allowance. It is means tested. If he has rental income coming in, it is possible that he may fail the means test. Even thought the rental income goes to bank and not into his pocket, technically it is still income that he is earning. If he is living in his house again & not earning any income from it, that eliminates that problem.

Best of luck to you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

The lease can not be broken. However the 2 options I knew I had available to myself , before I posted this thread was.

1. Move in to the house, when lease is up.In approx another 8 mths And live there till I Get removed by the banks.
    2.Use the rent to feed , maintain and wash myself until I get back on my feet.While living in my van.

If anybody has any other suggestions, outside the ones mentioned (which I appreciate).

I would be gratful to hear them.
    Here's my suggestion; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77163626&postcount=21

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I thought that one of the reasons why a land lord can legally terminate a lease is if he plans on moving back into the property himself. Do I have that wrong? Granted, he will not have any rental income coming in to pay the mortgage, but I say worry about providing a roof over your head first, worry about the banks second.

OP should qualify for Job Seekers Allowance. It is means tested. If he has rental income coming in, it is possible that he may fail the means test. Even thought the rental income goes to bank and not into his pocket, technically it is still income that he is earning. If he is living in his house again & not earning any income from it, that eliminates that problem.

Best of luck to you OP.

Its one of the reasons for terminating a part 4 tenancy- not a lease. A lease is a legally binding document between two (or more) parties, in this case the OP and his tenants. If he has a clause in the lease similar to the reasons for terminating a Part 4 lease- well and good- otherwise he waits until the elapse of the lease (or enquires whether the tenants are willing to vacate the lease- which is the course of action I'd advocate he takes immediately).

Note- I'm guessing that the deposit is long gone- so there would be a 4 week window where the OP has no income whatsoever.

The OP *needs* to present himself to his local Community Welfare Officer immediately- sleeping rough in the back of his van isn't on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You should talk to your tenants too. The rental market is very easy to find things in and they might move if you asked nicely. I mean, not everyone is a total mercenary!

Read the lease agreement carefully too. You can often terminate the lease if you need to move in!

Do you have any family or friends you could stay with until you've sorted your situation out?

Definitely get onto the CWO and call into Social Welfare. They're there to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Hope you are doing ok OP..

Hopefully you got to talk to CWO today or at least have an appointment asap.

Take Care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

toexpress wrote: »
    Odds are the OP wasn't paying credits, a lot of self employed people don't which can exclude them from job seekers. That said anyone can go and see their local CWO and they will get a community welfare payment. They can also apply for rent supplement and get sorted through those means.

OP it's way to cold to be sleeping in the back of a van, your friend cant be much of a friend if money was such an issue that you are now in this circumstance. Call on a friend, call the nearest SVP but do not sleep in the van for goodness sakes. It's to get colder as well so get it sorted.

Also, pick your friends a bit better, just some advice for the future

You can't elect to not pay prsi
    Self employed prsi just dosent insure yOu against unemPloyment

It's just as much as employed prsi it just dosent count the same ( mainly because employee prsi is mainly paid by the employer with a small bit being paid by the employee)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tigger wrote: »
    It's just as much as employed prsi it just dosent count the same ( mainly because employee prsi is mainly paid by the employer with a small bit being paid by the employee)

Its payable as a different PRSI class. You can elect to pay full PRSI- however very few people do. When you say its paid mainly by the employer- thats true- it can be up to 70% paid by the employer (as a generalisation) however the total PRSI (and I'm only talking about PRSI- no other deductions) is less than health insurance for a family (which ironically is a least partially what it was supposed to be covering- before they chopped most of the benefits associated with PRSI- now its just another tax).

Anyhow- we're getting diverted from the topic at hand- namely how can we help the OP- what useful advice can we give him- and indeed- has he followed the advice?

OP- I would also seriously suggest you start a thread in the State Benefits forum link here.

Kind regards,

Shane

Advertisement