Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreadful comment from Ruairi Quinn

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nadser wrote: »
    Just because someone has a different opinion to you, does not make them a troll.

Considering some of the responses on this and the other thread with the esteemed Mr. Humphries' theories regarding children with autism, I'm quite happy to hold different opinions.

Posters who have never posted here before and drop in to spout controversial opinions, never to be seen again, are trollish enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

spurious wrote: »
    The trolls have had their fun.
    It doesn't lessen the fact that what Minister Quinn said was a huge gaffe on his (or his speech maker's) part.

I hope there are not too many 'slow learners' in the Dáil, they needn't expect any extra help in this country where everyone is perfect.

Ironic isn't it? In a post complaining about a Minister using an inappropriate word in the dail, a moderator calls some other posters trolls!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭flatbackfour

Godge wrote: »
    Ironic isn't it? In a post complaining about a Minister using an inappropriate word in the dail, a moderator calls some other posters trolls!

I fail to see the irony. A troll is a commonly used term for someone "purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards. When done in a moderated internet community, this can result in banning".

The word is in common use and describes a type of behaviour on message boards.

So when someone makes a comment like ""They need to stop going spasticsearchwiddit.png" in relation to a discussion about the minister using inappropriate language such as "slow learners" I think its fair to asume the poster in question is engaging in trolling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ironic? Who knows?

I prefer 'Unfettered power'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I fail to see the irony. A troll is a commonly used term for someone "purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards. When done in a moderated internet community, this can result in banning".

The word is in common use and describes a type of behaviour on message boards.

So when someone makes a comment like ""They need to stop going spasticsearchwiddit.png" in relation to a discussion about the minister using inappropriate language such as "slow learners" I think its fair to asume the poster in question is engaging in trolling.
    spurious wrote: »
    Ironic? Who knows?

I prefer 'Unfettered power'.

:D:DAs someone who is not a mod, maybe we should get back on topic rather than calling people trolls in threads. Isn't there a "Report Post" function fot that?:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Ruairi Quinn's comment was totally out of order. I'm really not surprised that other people are jumping in to state the opposite however. Education is a topic where anyone will pontificate on what's right or wrong with the education system without ever having worked a day in the education sector.

I must pontificate the next time I go see a doctor/bank manager/dentist/plumber/bricklayer/nurse/solicitor etc. I'm sure it won't get their backs up at all, and I'll be in line for some great service from them:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Feeona wrote: »
    Ruairi Quinn's comment was totally out of order. I'm really not surprised that other people are jumping in to state the opposite however. Education is a topic where anyone will pontificate on what's right or wrong with the education system without ever having worked a day in the education sector.

I must pontificate the next time I go see a doctor/bank manager/dentist/plumber/bricklayer/nurse/solicitor etc. I'm sure it won't get their backs up at all, and I'll be in line for some great service from them:pac:

Very good Feeona, don't forget to mention that they're overpaid, lazy, and that anyone could do their job if they wanted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

E.T. wrote: »
    Very good Feeona, don't forget to mention that they're overpaid, lazy, and that anyone could do their job if they wanted!

:pac:

On second thoughts though, I might leave antagonising the dentist off the list!

Advertisement