Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in Trim

Options
  • 18-02-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Has anyone heard anymore about when and if Aldi is actually coming to Trim, been so many rumours for the past year or more now?

Also heard a rumour about Tesco coming to, to be built on the site of the old swimming pool?? That would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I dont think Aldi are coming to Trim, in fact I have heard nothing more about it in recent months. I signed a petition that Trim Celtic had relating to Aldi but I signed really as a support to Trim celtic. I wouldnt like to see anymore out of town shops as the shops in Trim are suffering enough as it is.

Dont get me wrong I really like Aldi - I just dont think Trim is big enough to support an Aldi and a Lidl. I would like to see a decent mid sized supermarket like we had in Smyths / Centra in Market Street. There is a great Aldi in Navan and its a nice treat sometimes to go there or go for one of their specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dixiefly wrote: »
    I dont think Aldi are coming to Trim, in fact I have heard nothing more about it in recent months. I signed a petition that Trim Celtic had relating to Aldi but I signed really as a support to Trim celtic. I wouldnt like to see anymore out of town shops as the shops in Trim are suffering enough as it is.

Dont get me wrong I really like Aldi - I just dont think Trim is big enough to support an Aldi and a Lidl. I would like to see a decent mid sized supermarket like we had in Smyths / Centra in Market Street. There is a great Aldi in Navan and its a nice treat sometimes to go there or go for one of their specials.

I don't think it will have a negative impact on shops in Trim apart from perhaps Supervalu (who seem to be managing fine) and Lidl. If other stores in the town were to have been adversely affected it would have happened when Lidl came to town. It may have the opposite effect in that shoppers may be attracted to the town.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

There's a thread here about it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73135475

Planning permission application is still open:
    http://www.meath.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=TA110532&LASiteID=0

The latest status is that further information is required by the planners, with the comment "Agreed to extend the period for submission of Further Information until 04/05/12", seems to be taking a while.

Personally, I'd love to see it happen. Aldi is much better than Lidl for food shopping. We've started using the new Clonee branch on the way home from work as we pass right by it instead of driving out to Navan.

As for Trim shopping - aside from a good choice of chemists, barbers/hairdressers, opticians, hardware stores, a couple of gift shops and (now) a decent bakery, I think the shopping in Trim is pretty poor to be honest. Coupled with the new parking regime, I don't see much hope for a lot of the local shops, which is a shame. Trim Town Council have a cheek to charge for parking in that filthy "car park" near the council offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

I agree, and the carpark by the Childrens playground is down right dangerous, you could loose yourself in one of those!

I would be delighted to see Aldi coming to Trim, (Tesco to), and like someone said I also believe it would draw more people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

have a read of this guys

Minutes
    Meeting: 03/04/2012 Trim Castle Hotel 6.30pm
    Chair: Joe Patterson.
    Attended by: 􀁨􀆌􀆐􀆵􀅯􀄂􀀃􀁄􀄐􀀘􀅽􀅶􀅶􀄞􀅯􀅯􀍕􀀃􀀄􀅶􀅶􀀃􀁄􀄂􀆌􀅝􀄞􀀃􀁋􀍛􀀘􀅽􀅶􀅶􀄞􀅯􀅯􀍕􀀃􀀺􀄂􀅶􀀃􀁴􀄂􀇇􀍕􀀃􀁄􀅝􀄐􀅚􀄂􀄞􀅯􀀃􀀑􀆵􀆚􀆚􀄞􀆌􀅯􀇇􀍕􀀃􀁄􀅝􀄐􀅬􀀃􀀘􀅽􀅚􀄞􀆌􀆚􀇇,
    John Canning, John Kiely, Conor Dalgarno, Cathal Doyle, Kevin Doyle, Patrick Keane, Ken Mahon,
    􀁚􀅽􀄏􀄞􀆌􀆚􀀃􀁗􀅝􀄐􀅬􀄂􀆌􀄚􀍕􀀃􀁗􀄂􀆚􀀃􀁋􀍛􀀑􀇇􀆌􀅶􀄞􀍕􀀃􀁄􀄂􀆌􀅐􀄂􀆌􀄞􀆚􀀃􀁞􀅚􀄂􀅶􀅯􀄞􀇇􀍕􀀃􀀺􀄂􀅵􀄞􀆐􀀃􀁄􀄂􀅚􀅽􀅶􀍕􀀃􀀒􀅚􀆌􀅝􀆐􀆚􀅽􀀃􀁄􀆵􀅯􀅯􀅝􀅐􀄂􀅶􀍕􀀃􀀘􀄞􀄐􀅯􀄂􀅶􀀃􀀒􀅯􀄂􀄏􀄏􀇇􀍕􀀃
    Eugene Kiely, Aine Kiely.
    Update from Local Heroes committee: The committee are setting a date for a public meeting and
    are printing posters to advertise this. Trim Castle Hotel is to be the venue.
    Update wastage committee: Nothing to report.
    A draft of Trim Town Council Business Incentive Rates Grant Scheme was received and will be
    available on the Nag Web site for all to view.
    Commercial Rates: Joe gave a report of a meeting with Ray Butler on Monday 2nd April. Ray has
    spoke with Minister Howlin in relation to Commercial Rates and proposed that they set up an
    evaluation offices for each county to work with rates issues for individuals.
    Joe is meeting with Ben Gilroy who seems to know the constitution inside out and Ben is currently
    working with individuals who are fighting unconstitutional challenges. Joe has suggested that a
    small number of people from the group join him for this meeting, with a view to asking Ben to
    speak at out next TAT meeting.
    ALDI planning application: Joe asked the meeting if they had an objection to Aldis planning
    application for a site on the Longwood Road which would inevitably take more business out of the
    Town Centre. It was unanimously agreed that we should place a formal objection. Mick Doherty
    suggested that the council should be asked to object to this. We are going to ask Paul
    Moore/Kevin Martin to lodge an objection on behalf of TAT.
    Joe asked Ray Butler what the Social Welfare entitlement is for the self employed. Ray Butler is to
    get some information on this.
    􀀄􀅶􀅶􀀃􀁄􀄂􀆌􀅝􀄞􀀃􀁋􀍛􀀘􀅽􀅶􀅶􀄞􀅯􀅯􀀃􀆌􀄂􀅝􀆐􀄞􀄚􀀃􀆚􀅚􀄞􀀃􀅝􀆐􀆐􀆵􀄞􀀃􀅽􀄨􀀃􀁞􀅽􀄐􀅝􀄂􀅯􀀃􀇁􀄞􀅯􀄨􀄂􀆌􀄞􀀃􀆐􀅝􀄐􀅬􀀃􀄏􀄞􀅶􀄞􀄨􀅝􀆚􀀃􀄏􀄞􀅝􀅶􀅐􀀃􀇁􀅝􀆚􀅚􀄚􀆌􀄂􀇁􀅶􀍕􀀃􀄂􀅶􀄚􀀃􀆚􀅚􀄞􀀃
    employer will be obliged to pay employees for sick leave. Joe said that we need to stand up to the
    government on these issues.
    John Canning said that the next issue that we need to concentrate on is free parking on Saturday.
    The national group IEAR are meeting in the next two weeks and Joe will report back on the
    outcome of this meeting.
    Joe has agreed to request from Trim Town Council a breakdown of their expenses and the figures
    for paid parking.
    The meeting closed at 8pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

ffs!!!! will I taking business completely out of Trim to go to Aldi in Navan!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

alanajane wrote: »
    ffs!!!! will I taking business completely out of Trim to go to Aldi in Navan!!

We already shop in either the Clonee or Navan Aldi, depending on where's handy at the time. Typical Irish approach to an opportunity... object, object, object. What local businesses will it take from, other than Supervalu and Lidl? Trim is a big enough town to need one more supermarket, and I don't think an Aldi would have much of an effect on any other local Trim shops that Supervalu and Lidl have not already had on them.

The council's ridiculous parking policies are more damaging to shops in Trim than any Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Bringing Aldi to the town could attract more shoppers or at the very least keep shoppers in Trim rather than having to leave town to shop. Once you have to go to Navan to shop in Aldi, then you may as well stay there for the rest of your shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bocoda

if i remember they were objecting to Lidl coming to Trim in the first place.. there was a group set up to bring it to Trim and they got there way wen people that were objecting to it were seen shopping in Lidl in mullingar!! :confused:

Vinn, the minutes you posted, are they from the Trim Area Traders group?

I find it odd that they are objecting to this. I wonder would some of them actually like to see an Aldi go in there, but feel under pressure from other members of that group?

Trying to figure out what businesses are owned by the individuals at the meeting. Here's what I have come up with - this is just from quick Google searches so may not be accurate:

Joe Patterson - Grange Patio and Decking Centre
    John Canning - Menswear
    John Kiely - Kiely's Bar
    Conor Dalgarno - Web design
    Cathal Doyle - Grange Patio and Decking Centre
    Kevin Doyle - ARK Stainless Steel
    Patrick Keane - Accountant
    Ken Mahon - Ampere Electrical
    Eugene Kiely - Kiely's Butchers
    Aine Kiely - can't find a related business

Aside from the butchers, I can't see any other business in that list that would be negatively affected, so I wonder how the objection to Aldi is unanimous. :confused: Surely an Aldi in Trim would actually create trade for some of those businesses, directly and indirectly?

I think a group like the TAT is in general a good idea and I agree with their campaigns on town parking and on business rates. We do need businesses to work together to keep Trim a vibrant town, and keep it a worthwhile place to shop in. I do think they are off the mark on the Aldi thing though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

PauloMN wrote: »
    Surely an Aldi in Trim would actually create trade for some of those businesses, directly and indirectly?

It all depends on where it is located. If it's on the outskirts of the town, I can't see how this would create more trade. People would just drive out, shop and then go home.

chewed wrote: »
    It all depends on where it is located. If it's on the outskirts of the town, I can't see how this would create more trade. People would just drive out, shop and then go home.

Keeping people in Trim rather than going to Navan? Say if I need something in a hardware shop but we've to go to Navan to get to Aldi for groceries. I'll get whatever I want to get in Woodies or somewhere in Navan rather than making another trip out and going to Leonards in Trim for example. Happens all the time with us, I'll take the kids and nip up to Woodies or Homebase to get something I need while my wife gets the groceries in Aldi. I could get everything I need to get locally in Trim though.

Aldi would have to be on the outskirts purely for parking. The proposed site is the site between the Longwood and Summerhill Roads. Surely it's better to keep local Trim shoppers in and around Trim, rather than pushing them out to Navan etc.?

And that's aside from the jobs an Aldi would bring.

Keeping people in Trim rather than going to Navan? Say if I need something in a hardware shop but we've to go to Navan to get to Aldi for groceries. I'll get whatever I want to get in Woodies or somewhere in Navan rather than making another trip out and going to Leonards in Trim for example. Happens all the time with us, I'll take the kids and nip up to Woodies or Homebase to get something I need while my wife gets the groceries in Aldi. I could get everything I need to get locally in Trim though.

Aldi would have to be on the outskirts purely for parking. The proposed site is the site between the Longwood and Summerhill Roads. Surely it's better to keep local Trim shoppers in and around Trim, rather than pushing them out to Navan etc.?

And that's aside from the jobs an Aldi would bring.

I totally agree that it would be beneficial to Trim for employment, but I'm still not sure it's going to benefit the town financially. As you already mentioned, most people with hardware requirements end going to Woodie's or Homebase (mainly because of ease of parking). I often go to Lidl in Trim and Aldi in Navan (which I think is better), but I don't end up going into either town to do more shopping.

Point is though, if I wasn't already in Navan or elsewhere for Aldi, I'd happily get my other bits and pieces in Trim.

The parking is a problem though. Used to be free on Saturdays from 12pm onwards. I rarely shop in Trim now on a Saturday because of the parking. I think it was a huge mistake to charge for Saturday parking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

any word on this saga ?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

any word on this saga ?

Permission refused. :mad:

Nice one, that'll keep people shopping in Trim........... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Permission refused. :mad:

Nice one, that'll keep people shopping in Trim........... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

rumour has it that the swimming pool site has been agreed upon with tesco

vinn wrote: »

Heard that myself. Did you hear any timescales as to when? Trim needs another supermarket, it's certainly big enough, and a trip to the monopoly that is Supervalu just proves that.

Not another bloody Tesco! Taking over the country and the world! Can't stand that supermarket....screwing farmers and growers into the ground.

• Advertisement

it is not officially announced yet still under the table backhander and brown envelope stage yet
    but im sure it will be put out to the usual media fanfare pretty soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

chewed wrote: »
    Not another bloody Tesco! Taking over the country and the world! Can't stand that supermarket....screwing farmers and growers into the ground.

Really, I'd have thought they would be delighted with the outlet, sure they don't have to sell to them if they don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm no big fan of Tesco either, but I'd be happy to have an option other than Supervalu who seem to rip me off every single time I go there, and Lidl, which I honestly believe is the single worst store in Ireland.

(Not Lidl generally, just the one in Trim, I go to Lidl in Clonee or Navan instead of using Trims one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 benking

vinn wrote: »

I have heard this too, but its now nearly December and still no confirmation.. The site seems to be still listed on daft&lisney?

Also Me and my family and extended family ALL shop in Navan.. every thrusday or friday they head over to Tesco and Aldi. We only ever use Supervalue for small shops as its a nightmare to shop and park in.

Looks like Aldi is going ahead afterall:
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/04/11/4029540-aldi-store-on-way-to-trim/

Thumbs up from me. Both Lidl and especially Supervalu are very busy these days, a third store is definitely needed in Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I will be very happy to see Aldi in Trim.
    Should be plenty of parking at the site of the old swimming pool.

Permission granted today apparently. Happy about that, shame it takes an eternity to do anything in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Very good. I wonder what the 21 conditions are.

Very good. I wonder what the 21 conditions are.

Yeah, don't know, but I'd assume they are obliged to do works on the paths and roads etc. around the property. It'll definitely smarten up that corner which looks a bit of a mess at the moment. Glad something is going there, especially an Aldi.

Wonder will that absolute joke of a council "car park" be surfaced as part of this? The cheek of the council to charge for parking there, the surface of the moon would be better.

• Advertisement

Actually you can see all docs related to the application here (incl. the 21 conditions):
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/TA150598/0

Click on "View Scanned Files" - there's a pile of stuff there related to the application (including a note to Tesco who obviously were involved at some point). The 21 conditions doc is called "Schedule of Conditions" towards the bottom of the list. Looks all fairly standard stuff, although I must say I've never heard of "Japanese knotweed"!! :D

Advertisement