Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in Trim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Was viewing the scanned documents alright but hadn't spotted the Schedule of Conditions.

I loved the Tesco one. I'm sure they were very concerned about maintaining the integrity of the streetscape :rolleyes:

Looks like the decision has been appealed to An Board Pleanala.

Edit:
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/245996.htm

Now due to be decided in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I didn't know it was rejected!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

chewed wrote: »
    I didn't know it was rejected!

It was accepted but this is being appealed!

greendom wrote: »
    It was accepted but this is being appealed!

Yep. Council granted permission having considered the application, objections and any other inputs.

Once permission is granted, there is a window to appeal to An Board Pleanala which was taken.

• Advertisement

Trying to get an idea of what Mr Murtagh's objection is. His initial submission can be found here:

http://idocswebdpss.meathcoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=2024871&format=jpeg

For one thing he thinks Trim is well enough serviced by the Lidl and Supervalu that another discount retailer is not warranted. He's addressed in Maynooth so I wonder if he has tried parking in either on a Saturday.

He also says that the proposed 106 parking spaces don't meet the requirement of 126. I'd assume that's more than Supervalu currently has but less than Lidl.

I might agree with his concerns of flooding and the actual location on the banks of the Boyne with regards visual impact. The lesser of two evils perhaps when the alternative is a derelict site.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

He also is (was) involved in a company called Soup Stop Limited:
    http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Soup-Stop-Limited-515922

I suspect his concerns might not be for the welfare of Trim and its fine citizens, but maybe I'm just an old cynic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

. The lesser of two evils perhaps when the alternative is a derelict site.

I know it's an artists best impression and supposed to look great, but I thought the drawing looked really well, it would be a great new focal point in the town. The modern design suits well too with the big opw spaceship in the background. If they did something with the potholed carpark where the recycling banks are, that could be a really nice new area. I'd say it would do good things for footfall on mill street and high Street too, I've always felt there was a big disconnection between the retail areas on each side of the river, this was a good step to help fix that.

Really frustrating to hear this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Fairly detailed submission by Mr. Murtagh, a few quid behind him if he's hiring engineers to do reports. As mentioned above, hard to take it at face value with no hidden agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Folks it's fairly obvious Mr Supervalue is behind this.

I only just noticed the Inland Fisheries were invited to the appeal hearing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

As I've mentioned before on other threads, I'm all on for an Aldi in Trim, but still not sure about this particular location! I often use the bottle bank in the car (Crater) park. The traffic coming from the town toward the bridge is often very heavy and it can take a while for me to be able to turn onto Jonathon Swift Street, coming from opposite direction. With a supermarket here, I can see traffic backing up very quickly, just to try and get out onto Emmet St. Also, the OPW and new playground has increased traffic in this area in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

chewed wrote: »
    As I've mentioned before on other threads, I'm all on for an Aldi in Trim, but still not sure about this particular location! I often use the bottle bank in the car (Crater) park. The traffic coming from the town toward the bridge is often very heavy and it can take a while for me to be able to turn onto Jonathon Swift Street, coming from opposite direction. With a supermarket here, I can see traffic backing up very quickly, just to try and get out onto Emmet St. Also, the OPW and new playground has increased traffic in this area in recent times.

Will there be any road enhancements to cope with the increased traffic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Anyone know what the latest is on this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

dixiefly wrote: »
    Anyone know what the latest is on this?

An Bord Pleanála have a date of no later than May 11th for the decision, so a bit longer to wait.

By this day next week we should know better what's going on with Jon Snow.

Oh and the small matter of the Bord Pleanala decision on Aldi.

Just a little bump for the thread. A week to go people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

What happened at the end? Anyone has found out yet?

Galego wrote: »
    What happened at the end? Anyone has found out yet?

Looks like they've missed their deadline. I've watched a couple of items with an Bord Pleanala before and this is the first time I've seen it happen. They've come back early before alright.
    Trim Aldi decision imminent

A decision on plans for an Aldi supermarket in Trim is expected this week with An Bord Pleanala due to rule on the planning appeal on Wednesday 11th May.
    On 2nd December last, Meath County Council granted planning permission to Aldi Stores (Ireland) Ltd, subject to 21 conditions, for the construction of a single storey discount foodstore, including an off-licence section, on a 0.79 hectare site at Watergate Street and Jonathan Swift Street, Trim.
    Permission included the erection of signage and 106 car parking spaces.
    However, the council’s granting of planning permission was appealed by Darragh Murtagh, with an address in Maynooth. on 7th January last.

The date for a decision on this appeal is this Wednesday, 11th May.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/05/10/4119472-/

• Advertisement

Whole thing is a bit of a farce really. Objections made by people purely to delay the inevitable, I'm sure those people who objected have zero interest in the number of proposed car park spaces or whatever else they based their objections on. Suspect the real reasons for their objections was the effect on their own business.

I have absolutely no doubt this will eventually go ahead. It's clear that a huge majority of people in Trim want it, it would be ridiculous if it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Looks like they've missed their deadline. I've watched a couple of items with an Bord Pleanala before and this is the first time I've seen it happen. They've come back early before alright.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/05/10/4119472-/

Any word? Does anyone know if a decision was made?

Really hope it gets through - will bring a lot to the town centre I feel.

Trying to get an idea of what Mr Murtagh's objection is. His initial submission can be found here:

http://idocswebdpss.meathcoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=2024871&format=jpeg

Just checked this link again:
    Decision: Case has been decided, details will not be available before 16-May-2016

And the wait goes on, just a little longer.

does anyone know what the actual objection was on - can't see from the meathcoco website - or am I missing it?

Follow this link

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/TA150598/0

Then click view scanned files. All the submissions are in there.

Follow this link

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/TA150598/0

Then click view scanned files. All the submissions are in there.

Yeah - i had a look through there but couldn't see any scanned docs with the objection letter.

Also I see the list of other objectors - Kavanagh - Fair enough - they live right beside it but Tesco?? Nearest tesco is in Navan - What's their objection ffs!!?

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    Also I see the list of other objectors - Kavanagh - Fair enough - they live right beside it but Tesco?? Nearest tesco is in Navan - What's their objection ffs!!?

It's the last link in the pop-out. Called:
    type - submissions
    subject - submission

There are three submissions in there and you have to navigate to Mr.Murtagh's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

How can someone living in Maynooth contend that Trim is already adequately served with retail outlets? Just wondering...

In 15 pages I couldn't find any declaration of self interest.

• Advertisement

I love the Tesco and murtagh objection - it doesn't fit in with the design of the town basically.

The courthouse - eyesore beside the Castle
    Trim Castle Hotel - beside the castle
    OPW HQ - doesn't exactly blend in!

Like Tesco are worried about how our Town looks!!!

Advertisement