Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in Trim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    I love the Tesco and murtagh objection - it doesn't fit in with the design of the town basically.

The courthouse - eyesore beside the Castle
    Trim Castle Hotel - beside the castle
    OPW HQ - doesn't exactly blend in!

Like Tesco are worried about how our Town looks!!!

I agree on the 1st 2, but I actually quite like the OPW.

I presume Tesco are worried because they have future plans to set up in Trim....along with every other inch of the island!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Trim Castle Hotel has been a fabulous addition to the town. Immesurably better than the pot-holed car park it replaced. Absolutely no issue with its location either, blends in very well imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

greendom wrote: »
    Trim Castle Hotel has been a fabulous addition to the town. Immesurably better than the pot-holed car park it replaced. Absolutely no issue with its location either, blends in very well imo.

+1000000

No issue imo with any of the buildings listed, I quite like the contrast of modern and ancient actually - think it highlights the castle actually! There are far uglier sites in Trim that could do with addressing (the Aldi site being a case in point). A tidy, well finished and well kept store which is of use to the people of the town is exactly what is needed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Don't get me wrong with the Hotel - I love it (my sister got married there and we have lots of family stuff in it) but what I was trying to say is that it's a modern building beside a very important historical castle and it got through planning.

I can't see how the appeals can be upheld and hopefully aldi will start building asap.

And the OPW building I like also but just putting across modern building designs that have passed planning in Trim.

• Advertisement

Good news for Trim!

From the Meath Chronicle this morning...
    An Bord Pleanala has made its decision on plans for an Aldi supermarket in Trim.

An appeal against Meath County Council's granting of planning permission for the store was lodged in January.

Today it was announced that Bord Pleanala has granted planning permission for the development with revised conditions.
    The supermarket is to be built on a site at Watergate Street and Jonathan Swift Street on a 0.79 hectares site.

The plans provide for a single storey discount foodstore with an off-licence section, signage and 106 parking spaces.
    - See more at: http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/05/13/4119730-decision-on-trim-aldi-store-/#sthash.B3PnIsm0.1HhibNAM.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

\o/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Glad it got through in the end. Hope the residents of Maynooth are ok with it. :rolleyes:

A town the size of Trim and its catchment area need a decent choice of supermarkets, and with soon-to-be three supermarkets, we'll finally have that.

Plus it will be nice to finally see that corner tidied up.

I wonder what the "revised conditions" were in the end? As I've said before, my only concern would be traffic congestion around the area!

chewed wrote: »
    I wonder what the "revised conditions" were in the end? As I've said before, my only concern would be traffic congestion around the area!

Leave some space for Tesco perhaps :D (who objected initially)

They obviously still have their eye on the town too.

• Advertisement

Brilliant news - Looking forward to it.

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    Brilliant news - Looking forward to it.

I'd say it'll fly up now. Once these guys get the go-ahead, they don't hang about.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I'd say it'll fly up now. Once these guys get the go-ahead, they don't hang about.

Yep. It'll be Christmas shopping in Aldi this year :cool:

Just to follow up Paulo. Hanging about they ain't.
    Store Managers & Assistant Managers, Meath

Payment:
    41k - 80k salary

Terms:
    Permanent | Full Time
    Last updated:
    15-05-2016

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1533261

Where exactly is the new Applegreen going?

Edit: Nvm, found the map!

It's already there too.

Back on Aldi. They typically make the purchase of the land 8 weeks after granting of planning apparently so don't expect to see any works for the next month and a bit.

I read somewhere also that he site was acquired for € 585,000.

Has anyone heard any updates on the Aldi planning application in Trim?

Has anyone heard any updates on the Aldi planning application in Trim?

Just a case of turning the sod I would have thought.

Checked their site and they've a store opening in Swords in October and one in Skibbereen. I wonder who they'll get to open that :pac:

No mention of Trim yet, but I'm sure I saw job adverts a while back for their Trim store.

Well we're certain it won't be before Christmas now. Booo. Could be worse though. Look at poor Dunshaughlin.

Anyway, the new Aldi in Trim gets a mention in the article below.

http://www.thejournal.ie/aldi-400-new-jobs-3122312-Dec2016/

Early 2017 it is.

Work has started on the site.

Apparently the build time will be a little longer than a typical Aldi construction. Might end up being later in the year when it's completed.

To be completed in Nov 2017 according to Noel French's Facebook post. Quite a long time, I guess their contractors are busy these days!

I remember reading about some toxic waste that need to be cleared from the site first, maybe that's part of the hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Yes its opening November!! They have already started recruiting for the new store!!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Here's a photo of the new Aldi, I took the photo last Saturday from the car park across the road from the playground.

36610338415_7a885649b1_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Panrich

Anyone hear any update on when exactly this store is opening?

Panrich wrote:
    Anyone hear any update on when exactly this store is opening?

I thought it was supposed to be November. It looks to be nearly completed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Panrich

I thought it was supposed to be November. It looks to be nearly completed

Yes. I thought with it looking so close that we'd have heard a date.

second week in November its opening.

upinthesky wrote: »
    second week in November its opening.

C'mon c'mon

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Here's a few photos of the new Aldi, taken last Saturday, No opening date posted yet and really can't see it opening for the second week of November, but possibly by the 27th November. :D

24370993628_388984c73f_b.jpg

Below photos taken from Watergate Bridge

38242498761_c19c5361b1_b.jpg

37531401904_b99fa359b3_b.jpg

Looking forward to this being open, but as I mentioned before on this thread, I'm still concerned about the traffic coming to/from the supermarket onto Watergate St. I can see a lot of congestion here. Will this be the only access road?

As well as the Supermarket, there is a public car park, OPW, playground and bottle bank, all sharing the 1 road with Aldi!

• Advertisement

Opening the 16th at 9am

Advertisement