Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donate Blood in UCD - Tuesday 21st to Friday 24th

Options
  • 18-02-2012 11:01pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Irish Blood Transfusion Service will be in UCD next week looking for donors, so please, if you have time, go donate blood - you can literally save a life between lectures.

Dates: Tuesday 21st February - Friday 24th February
    Time: 11.30am - 3.00pm
    Where: Astra Hall, Student Centre.

If you can't make it next week, you can donate blood at any time in either D'Olier Street (beside O'Connell bridge), or Old Dublin Road, Stillorgan (Stillorgan clinic is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, D'Olier Street is Monday-Friday).
    You don't need to know your blood type if it's your first time. If you've donated before, at least 90 days need to have elapsed since your last donation.

See www.giveblood.ie for details - you can take a quiz to see if you are eligible to give blood.

(I'm not affiliated with IBTS, it's just it's not always that well advertised in UCD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thanks for posting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I can't go those days... 11.30am - 3pm are not very conducive to lecture-times...

But I try my best to go every 90 days to D'Olier St.!!!
    The free sandwiches they have there for afterwards are greaaat.. and the bags of Tayto, biscuits and cups of cha/glass of coke.
    Going for pints of G afterwards is also a great tradition to get into... get the iron back, and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Anyone know what the craic is with exercising afterwards? How long would one hypothetically have to wait to play a match, jog, or go to the gym?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Anyone know what the craic is with exercising afterwards? How long would one hypothetically have to wait to play a match, jog, or go to the gym?

Usually next day is perfectly fine once you are feeling ok. In fact, you'd probably be ok the same day but if it's your first time better safe than sorry - gyms can be quite warm, etc. Don't do any heavy lifting too soon after giving blood with your arms either.

And drink plenty of water after donating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Usually next day is perfectly fine once you are feeling ok. In fact, you'd probably be ok the same day but if it's your first time better safe than sorry - gyms can be quite warm, etc. Don't do any heavy lifting too soon after giving blood with your arms either.

And drink plenty of water after donating!

Cool, cheers. I might see what the story is tomorrow so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Done! They had a pretty big turnout yesterday when I was there, between 1pm and 4pm. You need to give yourself at least two hours though, between registering, chatting with the nurse, doing the donation and chilling out afterwards.

One woman beside me in the queue must have eaten about ten biscuits when she was waiting, then afterwards I saw her stuffing Time Outs into her pockets. Clearly didn't do the shopping this week :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mickey Rosa

Yesterday was particulary busy will quieten down as the week goes on and you should get in and out in an hour.

Advertisement