Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix this?

• 18-02-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

This cabinet door has come away a bit - the screws simply pulled out of the cabinet wall.

Is there something I can put in to fix the loose wood? Some putty that'll harden but can be screwed into?

86b40_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Easiest fix would be to just unscrew the whole thing and move it up/down a few cm to screw it into a new location on the same pieces and fill in the holes with something if you're bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

looks like the hinges are rebated into the door - major surgery required to move.

If the cabinet position permits, use longer screws

btw Isopon car filler is good stuff.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Did the exact same job a little while ago. Make little wooden dowls with a knife/chisel, tap into existing holes. Cut off the excess flush with the door using a chisel. You're now back to solid panel.
    Small pilot hole for screws and its sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have other hinges but then I have to drill the holes for everything once again.
    I was hoping there was some putty, wood filler, whatnot that would bond inside the existing holes and could be screwed into.

1.618 thanks, that would work if I wasn't such a lazy person :o

Can I just fill with wood glue and let dry before screwing the screws in again?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you have any plastic plugs (the ones you use in walls)cut it down to fit and glue it in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What's on the other side of the cabinet? Is it exposed? You could put bolts right the way through.

The other option is to use a strip of flat metal, bolt hinge to this, then make new holes to screw into cabinet. I have done this a few times, works great.

The other method I've used is to get two pack appoxy resin and fill up the holes. When dry, the wood around it will be rock hard. Drill new holes in the apoxy and screw it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks all. I got some of this stuff and filled the holes with it and clamped the bracket and screws in
    http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-en_gb/454945/reviews.htm
    We'll see if it holds. Will leave the clamp 24h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea the epoxy resin i would of went for also. Possibility might be to chase out a small square or rectangular area and epoxy in a piece of wood, and screw into that.

Maybe what you`ve done will hold though.

Advertisement