Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork loin..cooking time?

Options
  • 19-02-2012 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Cooking a pork loin tomorrow and just wondering if anyone could advise on how long to cook it for and at what temperature

It's 900g (2lb i think) and doesn't have a bone.

I've been googling cooking times but finding it all a bit confusing so any advice wd be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hey Alton. One of my favourite cuts of meat. Not a particular fan of the guy but, in fairness, he has some great recipes. Love this one....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/pot-roasted-pork-in-white-wine-with-garlic-fennel-and-rosemary-recipe/index.html

Bon appetit !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hugh Wattleybottom Smyth ! says
    20 Mins @ 230, then 45 mins @ 160 (25min per 500g)

Nigellasucksherfinger says
    15 mins @ 200 then 54 mins @ 180 (30 mins per 500g)

I've found Hugh's timings to leave joints a touch underdone.
    If I had that piece of pork I'd probably give it 15mins @ 230 then 50 mins @ 180 then leave it to rest for 20 mins covered in foil and a couple of towels (take the crackling off first and scoff it while waiting to carve).

I urge you not to overcook it "just in case". Loin is a very lean cut and prone to being like cardboard if overcooked. Pork needs to be cooked through, not overcooked. I don't mind a hint of pink in the centre of pork (but that's me!:eek:).
    If you find it a bit pink, just carve it, put it on a plate with some juices, cover it with foil and put it back in the warm oven for 5 or 10 minutes - problem solved. If you overcook it, there's no coming back.
    I reckon the time I suggested will have it cooked through with no pink but still moist (a lot depends on your oven).

Edit: just came across this nifty little calculator. Comes up with similar timings as above. I wouldn't cover the joint with foil when roasting, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 alton

Guys this is fantastic, thanks a mil for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Well OP, what did you end up doing with the piece of piggy?

Advertisement