Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Law question.

• 19-02-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am not sure if I posted this question on the right Forum. However I am still looking for a definitive answer to my question.

"What is the law on this, since I do not watch any Irish Channel. I only use my TV for console gaming and Netflix am I still obliged to purchase TV licnece?"

I dont mind just do not know the law on this.

Much appreciated if you can send me to the right direction.

King Regards
    Keith

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Yes, any device capable of receiving a TV signal requires a TV licence. However if you just used a monitor for your PS3/Xbox then you would not need one, for the moment at least.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Keitho_san

Oh I see, I havent watch proper TV channels in about a year. But I do have a TV that is capale of receiving TV signal via TV antenna.

Ok thanks for the info.

If there is a link to the rules of this, i would appreicate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There are ways to disable your TV's ability, e.g. something like breaking the tuner or taking out the connection or blocking it up. It was discussed in some other threads, you might just need to rip the socket out at the back. But I think they law is changing (about bloody time) and every household will need a broadcasting licence (if it has not changed already)

My 42" plasma is a commercial model intended for the likes of airport displays, so it has no tuner so is treated just like a PC monitor -regardless of size. I can buy a separate tuner.

My DVD recorder has a tv tuner and connect to the plasma so I still need a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

rubadub wrote: »
    There are ways to disable your TV's ability, e.g. something like breaking the tuner or taking out the connection or blocking it up. It was discussed in some other threads, you might just need to rip the socket out at the back. But I think they law is changing (about bloody time) and every household will need a broadcasting licence (if it has not changed already)

My 42" plasma is a commercial model intended for the likes of airport displays, so it has no tuner so is treated just like a PC monitor -regardless of size. I can buy a separate tuner.

My DVD recorder has a tv tuner and connect to the plasma so I still need a licence.

Why is about bloody time? Feck RTE young people today wish not to have RTE let RTE DIE!!!!!!!
    I and i say mostly Irish people today would agree likewise..kill RTE let the over payed monster DIE a miserable but quick death.

If RTE felt it deserved its payment now's the time have it subscriber service via cam card !!!! But the will not avail of this

The Internet is now king. Death to RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

sher55 wrote: »
    Why is about bloody time? Feck RTE young people today wish not to have RTE let RTE DIE!!!!!!!
    I and i say mostly Irish people today would agree likewise..kill RTE let the over payed monster DIE a miserable but quick death.

If RTE felt it deserved its payment now's the time have it subscriber service via cam card !!!! But the will not avail of this

Woah there horsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

2916_Crazy_farmer.jpg

YEEEEE HAAAWWWWW!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If RTE felt it deserved its payment now's the time have it subscriber service via cam card
    I agree 100%, I have made that exact suggestion in many threads and know RTE live in utter fear at the thought of it.

I am completely against the licence...
    Why is about bloody time?
    If they insist on having one it is about time they got rid of the ridiculous system in place, where people can easily evade this 'tax' and in effect steal from me who has to pay their share.

Imagine people with sky subscriptions just having to hide behind the couch when it came to payment time, while the honest people see their subscriptions being raised all the time, its laughable.

Advertisement