Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paypal to announce about new 1000 jobs?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

gurramok wrote: »
    Those Paypal jobs announced in February are in the news today, surprise surprise at the results, all predictable. My point made.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/paypal-forced-to-import-500-workers-and-warns-of-language-skills-crisis-3171118.html
    That article isn't telling us anything new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

djpbarry wrote: »
    That article isn't telling us anything new?

A bit rich of Paypal moaning about not finding enough skilled foreign language candidates here. They already have a big multilingual call centre in Dublin for years as if they didn't know the problem when they announced the jobs in February.

What was Ireland marketed as again to attract foreign investment for years? Well educated English speaking workforce, no need for the second bit now!!

A bit rich of Paypal moaning about not finding enough skilled foreign language candidates here.
    Where would you suggest Paypal locate their operation instead? Is it not a good thing that jobs are being created, regardless of whether the people who staff those jobs are "imported" or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Well if they need Nordic speaking peoples, perhaps Nordic countries would be a start.

And your correct, all jobs help the economy and the GDP bottom line.

However It does nothing for the unemployed of Ireland having someone from PayPal crow about us not speaking enough Norweigan!

Where would you suggest Paypal locate their operation instead? Is it not a good thing that jobs are being created, regardless of whether the people who staff those jobs are "imported" or not?

They'd have the same problem in any English speaking country(including India). Not so much on the continent as they are good at languages other than their own as English is an international language to be spoken, thats their motivation for learning it. Creating these jobs is a good thing, problem is that they are over-hyped as they will do next to nothing for the Irish unemployment rate.

Paypal are locating here for tax purposes. The problem with Ireland is that we rely too much on multilingual call centres unlike the UK. If Paypal located in London, there would be no problem whatsoever about importing foreign workers as call centres form a tiny part of their economy.

If the IDA did more to incentivise industry to cater for the English speaking workforce instead of over-reliance on multilingual call centres(where the vast majority of the current Irish workforce is not qualified for their jobs due to language barrier) to help reduce the Irish unemployment rate, this lingual jobs issue wouldn't be much of a problem.

Well if they need Nordic speaking peoples, perhaps Nordic countries would be a start.
    And if they need a whole range of different languages?
    Creating these jobs is a good thing, problem is that they are over-hyped as they will do next to nothing for the Irish unemployment rate.
    Suppose none of the 1,000 of the jobs created at Paypal required foreign language skills. Given the nature of Paypal’s business and the general skills/experience of unemployed people in Ireland, do you think it any less likely that a large number of those jobs would be filled by overseas applicants?
    Paypal are locating here for tax purposes.
    I’m sure it’s a factor, but I doubt it’s the only one. I mean, if all these companies are setting up operations in Ireland purely for tax purposes, then why hasn’t everyone else moved to Ireland too?
    The problem with Ireland is that we rely too much on multilingual call centres unlike the UK.
    I don’t know about Ireland, but a very large number of people in the UK work in call centres, especially in Northern Britain – I think the official figure is over 1 million people.
    If the IDA did more to incentivise industry to cater for the English speaking workforce...
    Well, that would be about half of Europe, wouldn’t it?
    ...instead of over-reliance on multilingual call centres(where the vast majority of the current Irish workforce is not qualified for their jobs due to language barrier) to help reduce the Irish unemployment rate, this lingual jobs issue wouldn't be much of a problem.
    Hang on a second – you think any job in Ireland that requires a second language is only going to be in a call centre? I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Dude, the “lingual jobs issue” isn’t something that can be just swept under the carpet – it’s not going to go away.

Suppose none of the 1,000 of the jobs created at Paypal required foreign language skills. Given the nature of Paypal’s business and the general skills/experience of unemployed people in Ireland, do you think it any less likely that a large number of those jobs would be filled by overseas applicants?

I'd say home based people would be queuing for the jobs if the language barrier wasn't there. For example if the operation of the centre was just for Paypal's customers in the US/UK, they will queue.
    I’m sure it’s a factor, but I doubt it’s the only one. I mean, if all these companies are setting up operations in Ireland purely for tax purposes, then why hasn’t everyone else moved to Ireland too?

Alot have, most seem to be American basing their HQ here though.
    I don’t know about Ireland, but a very large number of people in the UK work in call centres, especially in Northern Britain – I think the official figure is over 1 million people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12691704
    3.5% of the workforce. Do they all require foreign languages? I wouldn't say so, some obviously would. Alot of the UK based ones service the UK(60m market) as well as the smaller Irish market, less emphasis on the requirement of having a foreign language.
    Well, that would be about half of Europe, wouldn’t it?

So our English speaking workforce is no longer an advantage in your eyes then?
    Hang on a second – you think any job in Ireland that requires a second language is only going to be in a call centre? I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Other than trying to grab a teaching job(embargo there), alot would be yes unless I missed specific occupations that require a second foreign language?
    Dude, the “lingual jobs issue” isn’t something that can be just swept under the carpet – it’s not going to go away.

Of course not, its what the IDA has attracted here with no home based skills for it. The emphasis needs to change, more teaching of foreign languages in schools(too late for the present workforce) to more emphasis on attracting industry for the present English language workforce. Until the present dynamics of the workforce change, only after then can we praise having multilingual jobs!

Advertisement