Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Vitali Klitschko was to meet David Haye in 6 months time, who'd win?

• 19-02-2012 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Vitali would be over 41, I think he showed his age last night against Chisora.

I think this fight would be the polar opposite of Wladimir VS Haye, the fight would be a brawl. Haye has tremendous knockout power when he has the chance to wield it. That is why I favour Haye slightly over Vitali ATM.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tremendous KO power? Maybe at CW. Haye has not shown this at HW, and Vit takes a great shot. How does anyone see anything from pot shotter Haye that would think he can win? The guy throws a couple of punches per round. Is giving away far too much in height and reach, and, I would bet even a 41 year old Vit would be fitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Another win for Vitali, took some serious shots from Chisora and had no issue with them, Haye hasno't got the power as Chisora nor can he take a punch like him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Haye is quick and fairly powerful (not as strong as many make out) , but he's far too cautious and afraid of getting hit... same result as he had with Wlad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Gintonious wrote: »
    Another win for Vitali, took some serious shots from Chisora and had no issue with them, Haye hasno't got the power as Chisora nor can he take a punch like him either.

IMO Haye has more power.

I too would argue that for single shot power Haye may hit harder than Chisora. Problem is that Haye cannot throw all that much, and Vitali has a solid chin. A pot shotter will not be competitive vs. Vitali.

• Advertisement

Haye ............ but he's far too cautious and afraid of getting hit... same result as he had with Wlad

Indeed, probably worse to watch too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

RoverJames wrote: »
    Indeed, probably worse to watch too :(

+1

Vit stays behind his jab. Haye does not have the courage to get on the inside.

Different brother, same margin of victory. Haye would need some warm up fights to make this fight semi credible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭runboyrun

I'd say Haye is definitely much more explosive and powerful than Chisora but I don't think his style would be to put Vitali on the back foot like Chisora did.

Vitali is a different fighter coming forward and stalking, he's much more effective.

It's the old saying styles make fights

Does anyone think Vitali would be more aggressive than Wladimir?

Or at least not as cautious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

has anyone heard if the rumours of Vitali having a damaged left hand true? he didn't seem to use it much last night..

I'd still take Vitali to beat Haye, he could easily outpoint and outbox him without engaging if he wanted to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Does anyone think Vitali would be much more aggressive than Wladimir?

Wlad is super cautious ever since he got blown away by Sanders, he never takes risks. He's probably a better boxer than Vitali but Vitali has the power and comes forward more

Dotsey wrote: »
    Does anyone think Vitali would be much more aggressive than Wladimir?

Wlad is super cautious ever since he got blown away by Sanders, he never takes risks. He's probably a better boxer than Vitali but Vitali has the power and comes forward more

That's what I'm saying, if Vitali comes forward more and takes more chances he could be more suspectible to getting caught by a hayemaker from Haye.

This is why I think the fight would be a lot different to Haye Vs Wladimir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I think Haye could win, don't think he would though. I'd give him 30 % chance of winning. Vitali is probably at about 60-70% of his peak self. He looked so lethargic and and clumsy.

Dotsey wrote: »

Wlad has real power too. Probably as hard a single shot hitter, if not harder than Viali. But, as you say, less reluctant to unload and commit!

I think Haye could win, don't think he would though. I'd give him 30 % chance of winning. Vitali is probably at about 60-70% of his peak self. He looked so lethargic and and clumsy.

That's part of why I made this topic. IMO if Haye met the Vitali that fought last night he would have troubled him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

walshb wrote: »
    Tremendous KO power? Maybe at CW. Haye has not shown this at HW, and Vit takes a great shot. How does anyone see anything from pot shotter Haye that would think he can win? The guy throws a couple of punches per round. Is giving away far too much in height and reach, and, I would bet even a 41 year old Vit would be fitter.

That sums it up really. Vit would'nt have to be anyway near full power to beat Haye.

I think Haye could win, don't think he would though............

I think that's a very decent point, I think Haye is so conservative at HW that he himself doesn't know how good or bad he is/was, even against Harrison he was so so careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well considering Chisora took a flush punch from Haye and wasn't knocked out, Vitali, who has an even better chin, should not be troubled by Haye's exaggerated power.
    If Haye is as powerful a puncher as some people say, we should be seeing him knock out heavyweights in the manner Mike Tyson used to- whereby fighters were often out before they hit the canvas.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ioc

on last nights evidence haye would dismantle vitali!..he's too slow and doesnt have the same power as once was..hes still a great champion but he should retire now..its vlad that should keep there legacy goin...haye to beat chisora and a second match up with vlad i reckon would be very different!

ioc wrote: »
    on last nights evidence haye would dismantle vitali!..he's too slow and doesnt have the same power as once was..hes still a great champion but he should retire now..its vlad that should keep there legacy goin...haye to beat chisora and a second match up with vlad i reckon would be very different!

And, what evidence from Haye are you going to use to back this up? His win over Monte Barrett? Ruiz? Harrisson? Or, his performance vs. Wlad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Sure lets say Vitali didnt fully show up and had a bit of an off night, he still easily handled Chisora. I think he would beat Haye handily enough, but of course Haye has a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Easy win for Vitali, haye probably would not hit him in the fight.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

cowzerp wrote: »
    Easy win for Vitali, haye probably would not hit him in the fight.

+1. Vitali was inconvenienced (best word) by Chisora's hustle and bustle approach. For a 40 year old man thats understandable. The engine has to be slowing. But Haye is the exact opposite in the ring. Cagey, runs away from bigger men. He'd lose 12-0 on the scorecards if it went the distance and do you know what i doubt that would bother him. He's just fighting to line his pockets. I sincerely hope he doesn't make another penny from boxing. I'd boycott any future fight of his anyway.

... I admired Haye's performance against that really huge chap (whose name escapes me now), I thought his tactics were understandable and he threw a decent punch or two. His fights since have been absolutely awful and I couldn't imagine him providing any entertainment to spectators. Last night's episode was a tad bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Haye would need to alter his style completely to be in with a chance. He will never have the physical strength to put Vitali on the back foot like Chisora did. He would need to keep his movement but just let his hands go alot more than usual....forget potshoting as Vitali has a cast iron chin. He would need to get combinations going and get in and out.

If hes too worried about his own chin like against Wlad then he doesnt have a prayer. Im not blaming Haye for this because if your giving away so much height and weight there is a good chance you'll get Ko'd.

Overall way too many question marks and I think Vitali wins by UD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

It would be almost an exact replica of the Wlad V Haye fight, only Haye would probably come up with some other excuse after the fight. He'd run for 12 rounds, throwing one or two solid punches a round. Vitali would outpoint him but not knock Haye out. Another paycheck for both fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Haye has NO chance here. He has been out of the ring which actually makes it less likely that his chances of beating Wlad. I would be very suprised if he wasn't KO'd in this match up. Crazy thread, should be closed actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Very easy win for Vitali.

Dunno where the Haye hype gets its credibility, he was a very good CW, excellent knock out power at that weight, but thats it. He is not a heavy weight, he wouldnt trouble even a 41 year old Vitali.

I hope he doesnt get the fight because he doesnt deserve it, but if the money is right on Vitali's side I'm sure he will get it. Haye is excellent at self promotion, the guy has a reputation for having slayed a giant in Valuev, who was a big lump tbh, and if anyone watching that fight really thought Haye actually did enough to win the belt from him I think they are slightly bonkers.

It was close, maybe he edged the fight, but winning a world title takes more than that to me. To win a belt requires more then to get a decision in a fight. It wasnt even a unanimous decision ffs!

Again, Haye wouldnt stand a chance against Vitali, he doesnt have the size or the aggression, thought it was funny that Chisoras trainer had him on the back foot in that little punch up at the press conference! Vitali would win it easily, if he really wanted to he could knock him out, but I'd imagine he would be happy to just jab the **** out of him for as long as possible.

Vitalis stats may be slightly skewed due to the quality in the heavyweight division, but for me he does rank up there with the best heavyweights of all time. He has the best knock out percentage of any heavyweight in history, never been knocked down in a professional bout, never lost a decision, only two losses due to injury, (shoulder, when at the time of the fight being stopped he was well ahead on all three scorecards and cut to eye, when again, he was ahead on all three judges scorecards)

Cant stress this enough, nothing, absolutely nothing points to a Haye victory. But for two injuries he would still be undefeated imo, nobody in the boxing world to touch him at the moment or till he retires more then likely. He will probably become Ukrainian president after he retires!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

kryogen wrote: »
    Very easy win for Vitali.

Dunno where the Haye hype gets its credibility, he was a very good CW, excellent knock out power at that weight, but thats it. He is not a heavy weight, he wouldnt trouble even a 41 year old Vitali.

I hope he doesnt get the fight because he doesnt deserve it, but if the money is right on Vitali's side I'm sure he will get it. Haye is excellent at self promotion, the guy has a reputation for having slayed a giant in Valuev, who was a big lump tbh, and if anyone watching that fight really thought Haye actually did enough to win the belt from him I think they are slightly bonkers.

It was close, maybe he edged the fight, but winning a world title takes more than that to me.
    To win a belt requires more then to get a decision in a fight. It wasnt even a unanimous decision ffs!

Again, Haye wouldnt stand a chance against Vitali, he doesnt have the size or the aggression, thought it was funny that Chisoras trainer had him on the back foot in that little punch up at the press conference! Vitali would win it easily, if he really wanted to he could knock him out, but I'd imagine he would be happy to just jab the **** out of him for as long as possible.

Vitalis stats may be slightly skewed due to the quality in the heavyweight division, but for me he does rank up there with the best heavyweights of all time. He has the best knock out percentage of any heavyweight in history, never been knocked down in a professional bout, never lost a decision, only two losses due to injury, (shoulder, when at the time of the fight being stopped he was well ahead on all three scorecards and cut to eye, when again, he was ahead on all three judges scorecards)

Cant stress this enough, nothing, absolutely nothing points to a Haye victory. But for two injuries he would still be undefeated imo, nobody in the boxing world to touch him at the moment or till he retires more then likely. He will probably become Ukrainian president after he retires!

I agree with your post except for the bit in bold. Haye absolutely deserved to win that fight, he won it by a mile and IMO the only reason it was a split decision was because of home town judging. What's the saying, You would have to knock the guy out just to get a draw?

Realistically he won that fight by a massive distance. Valuev was probably the worst champ in living memory, I mean he barely even landed a shot on Hayes arms for the whole 12 rounds. A 70 year old Holyfield only threw 12 punches for the whole fight against him yet he looked to have done enough to have won in many peoples eyes (judges excluded). Haye might not have done much but throw a few quick shots and then run away but he was infinitely better on the night.

• Advertisement

I take your point on board, and fully agree Valuev was a total duff champion which only goes to further enhance how poor a heavyweight Haye is! No credibility whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

prime vitali there is no chance of a haye win
    But watching that fight the other night vitali looked old to me and seemd to struggle at times against a novice, becaue of the pace
    I think vitali is vulernable now from age, does not matter who he fights
    could be next fight or in a few years time, he seems to be at that stage when as they say he gets old overnight and i would hate to seem him beat by some one like haye because of age who he would blow out of his way in his prime.

Don't think Haye would adopt the same approach as Chisora though, based on his past Vitali would be able to dictate the pace of the fight with his jab so he should be comfortable.

I dont think Vitali will hang around too much longer anyway, he has political ambitions in the Ukraine and in fairness to the guy, he doesnt have anything left to achieve in the sport.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I agree with your post except for the bit in bold. Haye absolutely deserved to win that fight, he won it by a mile and IMO the only reason it was a split decision was because of home town judging. What's the saying, You would have to knock the guy out just to get a draw?

Realistically he won that fight by a massive distance. Valuev was probably the worst champ in living memory, I mean he barely even landed a shot on Hayes arms for the whole 12 rounds. A 70 year old Holyfield only threw 12 punches for the whole fight against him yet he looked to have done enough to have won in many peoples eyes (judges excluded). Haye might not have done much but throw a few quick shots and then run away but he was infinitely better on the night.

I remember watching the Haye-Valuev fight. Haye to me did nothing special; eeked a win. I saw no dominance at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

This is simple.

- Haye smashes his pinky toe with a hammer in dressing room before fight.

- Vitali smashes his face with his hammer like jab for 12 rounds.

- Haye shows everyone his poor toe, runs home with a suitcase of our money, and starts preparing trash talk for Tyson Fury.

- I promise myself not to get sucked in and pay to see that fool fight again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

walshb wrote: »
    I remember watching the Haye-Valuev fight. Haye to me did nothing special; eeked a win. I saw no dominance at all.

True, so little happened in the fight that I didn't have a problem getting a bet against a mate in the 12th that felt Valuev won. For the majority of rounds neither did enough to win.
    Actually you'd think some of the abuse directed at the brothers for boring fights would go his way. The exciting Haye's last 3 fights have been Wlad, Harrison and Valuev, the Wlad fight was probably the most exciting of the 3 and that's saying something

• Advertisement
Advertisement