Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crime reporting in local press

• 19-02-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭

I often wonder what the purpose of these are especially with the printing of names and addresses. While of course it is good to name and shame, I always feel sorry for the neighbour whose place halves in value for living near said law breaker. Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I often wonder what the purpose of these are especially with the printing of names and addresses. While of course it is good to name and shame, I always feel sorry for the neighbour whose place halves in value for living near said law breaker. Opinions?

How does the value halve if your neighbours name appears in the media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only good thing is the local budgie cage liner is the court reports! :p

The papers love it cos the reports take up plenty of space and are, as I suggest, popular kitchen table reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If they bought the "place" as a home, then the value is separate from the amount that they agreed to pay for it.

Anyway, once the court case being reported on is complete, they won't have a scumbag next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If a crime is committed it seems fair that the place is known and the names made public when known. Otherwise you might as well live in old East Germany. Knowledge is power and one can made a judgement about the kind of people who tend to live in certain locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I often wonder why they report what the defendant was wearing.

"Mr. Murphy, appearing in a black suit, white shirt and tie, entered a plea of not guilty...."

Why! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ive never googled my housing estate but after just searching now, the first thing that pops up is a stabbing. After that we have IRA membership, a house being broke into that led to the resident being stabbed, neighbours biting each other after a loud house party and a scumbag that kicked a girl in the face and breaking her nose to steal her phone.

Really my housing estate of just over 200 houses is a very quiet place, nice to bring up children, 4 schools and shops within 5 minutes walking distance, easy access to public transport and in general a decent place to live. If you googled the estate, it suggests "hell hole". If i were buying a house in an area, i would try and find as much about the area as possibly. If did an internet search on my estate i wouldnt go near the place. I certainly wouldnt be paying much for a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Your house would not half in value just because your neighbour was in court, It would depend on the crime of course.
    I would take a guess that this has happened to you op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

SeaFields wrote: »

"Mr. Murphy, appearing in a black suit, white shirt and tie, entered a plea of not guilty...."

Just in case he gets off:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It is possible that any neighbours living near a notorious criminal could enjoy several financial spin-offs (interviews, guest appearances, researchers, writers etc etc).

Just ask anyone who knows Peter Sutcliffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You are right OP lets destroy the press

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

How does the value halve if your neighbours name appears in the media

Certainly I suspect, in some cases it might not help.

I' myself live next door to a convicted 3 time armed robber who's house gets regular raided by the Gardi as they try to find his latest stash of weapons.
    If someone wanted to live in the area and they knew of the location of this criminal, what would I have have to do to further ensure that my house might sell?
    (if it was up for sale, its not.)
    Drop the price to a lower level I suspect than whats normally expected for the structure it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

John Doe1 wrote: »
    You are right OP lets destroy the press

They are doing a good job of it themselves....... the dinosaurs.
    signed..
    Magda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Ive often felt that full addresses of the protagonists (guilty, innocent and witnesses alike) in court cases are thrown around far too freely both in court and the media alike. There should really be a default presumption against doing so unless it is really necessary for justice to be served.

I know of a instance where a newspaper report on a case against a suspected drug dealer which was thrown out on a technicality contained the defendents full address but with a misprint regarding the house number. As a result a householder was plauged for several weeks with all manner of dubious characters knocking on the door at all hours.

On the other hand for what Its worth Ive heard it claimed that most of the neighbours of the late Martin Cahill never had any problems with either him or his family and that the burgulary rate in the area was remarkably low while he was alive although one must remember that half the stories told about the guy were pure bullshyte anyway.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Anyway, once the court case being reported on is complete, they won't have a scumbag next door.

Are we not being a tad optimistic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 padz24

i only found out this is my neighbour on facebook:eek: thank god for media warning us bout these people:)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Baould-obrein/186325421438495

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Googled my estate too

Only found one case, a settled traveller suing a local hotel after they cancelled her christening party.

Communicated with the hotel through a solicitor and hired a barrister

Who hires a barrister for a simple district court case? :confused:

This lady was more lawyered up then Bertie and Michael Lowry

Waste of money, judge didn't award any compo
    Must have cost several hundred for the solicitor and barrister

I'm intrigued now, it's not a big estate and I don't know this person at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Ive never googled my housing estate but after just searching now, the first thing that pops up is a stabbing. After that we have IRA membership, a house being broke into that led to the resident being stabbed, neighbours biting each other after a loud house party and a scumbag that kicked a girl in the face and breaking her nose to steal her phone.

Really my housing estate of just over 200 houses is a very quiet place, nice to bring up children, 4 schools and shops within 5 minutes walking distance, easy access to public transport and in general a decent place to live. If you googled the estate, it suggests "hell hole". If i were buying a house in an area, i would try and find as much about the area as possibly. If did an internet search on my estate i wouldnt go near the place. I certainly wouldnt be paying much for a house.
    Well if you had Google it before you bought in such s hell hole you might have bought in a more affluent area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just read that my estate once had a drug lord resident but that source was a randomner on the interweb :)

Honestly, if there are numerous people charged in the courts are from a certain district its wise to avoid said area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I'd always google the name of the estate before buying or renting in the area. Gives you a good idea of the sort of people who live there.

I'd consider it essential if for example you are a student moving to Dublin for the first time and not so familiar with good/bad areas. A good tip is to google the road or estate name and also the word "defendant" or "court".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

mikom wrote: »
    They are doing a good job of it themselves....... the dinosaurs.
    signed..
    Magda

magda ??

i always thought you where a dude !

:(... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Unless Larry Murphy is your neighbour I wouldnt think so. Even back in the Celtic Tiger years greed was at such a level Murphy living in the neighbourhood wouldnt have knocked more than 10k off the house.

Potential buyers will only be off put if they see a burnt out car in the lawn next door while the homeowner sits there in his underpants drinking while his kids bounce on the remains of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

SeaFields wrote: »

It's often a subtle way to describe the defendant's character, possible class, respect of court, contrition etc. without coming directly out and saying it. What you wear, especially in an environment like a courtroom, can say a lot about you.

Advertisement