Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience in Oz

Options
  • 19-02-2012 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

As many have already I am considering moving to australia at the end of the summer when my college course finishes( its in the area of business/it)

I was considering heading down under for get some experience and also travel at the same time.

I was wondering how easy it is to get a visa to do this, and also where would be a good starting point to try and see what work/internships are available. It would need to be a paid one...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Its very easy to get a working holiday visa which I assume your going for. There's plenty of info here on that sticky at the top of this forum on that.

Best bet for getting an idea of what work is available is to check these sites pretty regularly, say every few days/weeks

www.gumtree.com.au
    www.seek.com.au

also where abouts here are you thinking of heading to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Galwubliner

Its very easy to get a working holiday visa which I assume your going for. There's plenty of info here on that sticky at the top of this forum on that.

Best bet for getting an idea of what work is available is to check these sites pretty regularly, say every few days/weeks

www.gumtree.com.au
    www.seek.com.au

also where abouts here are you thinking of heading to?

Probably base myself in Sydney mainly because I know a lot of people around there but I would obviously go travelling on my own too!

Thanks by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Only thing i'd say is without work exprince n a PVisa don't expect it easy to get work in your choosen field of work. Companies are slow to taken on people on WHV .

Best chance is looking for temp 3 month contract work then WHV wont be going against u .

Put your name into Agencies n Sydney they can get u temp jobs sometimes quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

OP this will be pretty tough, to get a graduate job is pretty much out of the question, and to get work experience again is pushing it (in that field) I am not saying it cannot be done, I am just saying it will be very very tough.

If you just want to travel and have casual work, then that should be fine.

As pointed out, to get a WHV read the FAQ and fill out the online form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Galwubliner

hussey wrote: »
    OP this will be pretty tough, to get a graduate job is pretty much out of the question, and to get work experience again is pushing it (in that field) I am not saying it cannot be done, I am just saying it will be very very tough.

If you just want to travel and have casual work, then that should be fine.

As pointed out, to get a WHV read the FAQ and fill out the online form

Well it's a Masters in a well acredited course. I should be able to get employment here quite easily I just want to travel first so if I get a decent job I won't have to leave after a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Well it's a Masters in a well acredited course. I should be able to get employment here quite easily I just want to travel first so if I get a decent job I won't have to leave after a year!

It all depends on the subject you did, you might get work here in your field you might not. Can’t tell unless we know what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

What makes you think you can get employed so easily? Masters degrees don't seem to be any benefit according to DIAC anyway.
    Why doesn’t the new points test award extra points to an applicant who studies a
    Master program after completing their Bachelor Degree?

Applicants who complete a Master program after completing a Bachelors degree are not awarded extra points, as research indicates that the labour market outcomes of previous skilled migrants have not been improved by holding a Masters degree.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-testfaq.pdf

In Australia plenty of experience is always better than hard toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Loulou1000

Hi,

As many have already I am considering moving to australia at the end of the summer when my college course finishes( its in the area of business/it)

I was considering heading down under for get some experience and also travel at the same time.

I was wondering how easy it is to get a visa to do this, and also where would be a good starting point to try and see what work/internships are available. It would need to be a paid one...

Hi :)
    A good way of getting into your chosen field in Australia is to join linkedIn. Its a great way of making contacts before you go over. Connect with as many people as you can in companies and recruitment agencies that are relevant to you.
    If you put in the effort it will pay off and be optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Loulou1000 wrote: »
    Hi :)
    A good way of getting into your chosen field in Australia is to join linkedIn. Its a great way of making contacts before you go over. Connect with as many people as you can in companies and recruitment agencies that are relevant to you.
    If you put in the effort it will pay off and be optimistic!
    So just add randomers, then what?

Advertisement