Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bed

• 19-02-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    I'm looking for some advice for buying a decent bed for my pooch Cato. He is after getting too big and awkward for the couch, he sits for about 10 mins, can't get comfortable then gets off again in a huff :o. He had a bed when he was younger, but pulled out all the stuffing :rolleyes:, I think (hope) he's over that phase now, so i'm looking to get him a nice comfy bed.

Ideally like to get him something I can get a bit of mileage out of. I've been looking on Zooplus at the orthopedic beds, but i'm not really sure what's the best for him?

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

Outlay is a little expensive but we have only replaced the first one we bought after four years - http://www.kudospetproducts.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

After 3 boxers ive learned that the large plastic beds are best:)Ye can buy fleece blankets really cheap aswell,and they dry really quick:)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got a fairly big pillow style dog bed in Michael Guiney's in limerick for 6.99 the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

my 1 year old boxer would shred it in 2 minutes hahaha,ive often come down to a kitchen that looks like it was snowing hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Léan wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm looking for some advice for buying a decent bed for my pooch Cato. He is after getting too big and awkward for the couch, he sits for about 10 mins, can't get comfortable then gets off again in a huff :o. He had a bed when he was younger, but pulled out all the stuffing :rolleyes:, I think (hope) he's over that phase now, so i'm looking to get him a nice comfy bed.

Ideally like to get him something I can get a bit of mileage out of. I've been looking on Zooplus at the orthopedic beds, but i'm not really sure what's the best for him?

Any advice appreciated :)

I had the opposite problem I couldn't get my dogs off the couch! I went to petstop and the girl was very helpful and recommended a mattress type bed so the dogs could stretch out. Only problem it was 100 euro and I needed three! I took down the name of it and found it on zooplus much cheaper.
    [EMAIL="http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/mattress_dog_beds/129431"]http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/mattress_dog_beds/129431[/EMAIL]
    All parts of the bed are washable. I fold over a single duvet with a cover on it, and put a blanket on top and dogs love it! They are very hard wearing, my dads' dog has one aswell and she is a demon for tearing up stuff but hasn't managed to do any damage to her mattress but has done a job on her duvet! We have them two years and they still look perfect and dogs love them! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Large plastic beds with lots of soft stuff (old pillows, towels or blankets or cheapy fleece blankets work brilliantly) in it works the best. Vet Bedding on top of all is even better. TBH, vet bedding on its own would work fine too (I tend to use old pillows wrapped in a case or blanket and a strip of vet bedding on top. They can dig in it and spend hours snoring on it!

Everything can be chucked into the washing machine to clean and the plastic bed can be wiped clean - super handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My dog's favourites. A big one of these - all three can curl up together.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/square/191297

A couple of these for the garden, car, house etc

http://www.fatboybeanbags.ie/dog-large-black.html

Both beds are strong & the covers are waterproof. They just need a sponge down to keep them clean.

Expensive but they will probably outlast the dog !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

If you are looking for a bed that your dog can sleep on maybe overnight or when you are not around, then I think your best bet is a plastic bed with vet bedding. Not the most comfortable but more econimical if your dog rips every bed.

If you want a bed that your dog can lie on in the living room while you are watching TV say, then I got a couple of these from Bronte Glen. (They deliver anywhere in Ireland & it only costs €5 for delivery.)

Water Proof Dog Bed, Commerical Grade Waterproof Dog Bed in Blue

http://www.bronteglen.ie/bronteglenDetail.asp?cat=2&subCat=24&prod=122&name=TROJAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Another option is to build a bed into a convenient alcove. Mine is made of plywood, a lidl camp bed, two heat pads & an old cover from a bean bag. Because it is boxed in on three sides it keeps the draught out & the dog hair in. The base is raised above floor level so that their other beds store underneath.

The dogs love it.

19022012439.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Until your sure your dog isnt going to attempt to rip apart their bed, possibly get acouple of old /cheap duvet's, shove them inside an old duvet cover and vola! a lovely comfy bed, my girl loves hers, and its easy to wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it's just for in the house, say beside the couch or whatever then what about just a sheet of vet bed straight on the floor. You can get it with a non slip backing and you can get extra thick vet bed as well. You can actually put it directly on to a concrete surface so putting it on the floor in the house is no biggy. It comes in various colours so will just look like a fluffy mat on the floor and dogs aren't as likely to chew on it, they just find it too comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭olie77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

our wolfhound gets old quilts and the pugs get pillows :P
    come to think of it we might get them a bed frame while we're at it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Until your sure your dog isnt going to attempt to rip apart their bed, possibly get acouple of old /cheap duvet's, shove them inside an old duvet cover and vola! a lovely comfy bed, my girl loves hers, and its easy to wash.

This was my answer. You can just keep washing the covers. My old rottie lies by the fire on hers and loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

*SIGH*

I can't get anything nice for my two - they destroy everything I give them to sleep on, then rest afterwards on the couch. :rolleyes:

Advertisement