Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering getting hens - advice needed

• 19-02-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking of buying a couple of hens and just looking for advice on what breed would be best for a beginner.
    Its literally just because the egg consumption in my house is so high (prob go through about 6-10 eggs a day here!) and i also know my dad would love to keep em too :)

Was looking at something like this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/petaccessories/2828730

or this

http://www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/chicken-coop-and-feeders/1047593

- would one of these be suitable? the room we're have for the hens would be about 5(ish) ft x 4(ish) ft. although the run looks a bit small, i would be fine with letting them out during the day for about an hour when there's people at home (which there is most of the day) but i do live in an urban area so there are cats about.

I presume after a waterer, feeder and bedding there's nothing else i'd need to get. and what happens in the winter - are they still ok or would u have to buy a heater or something?

and lastly what breed would suit beginners? and where would i buy them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I have 5 ex battery hens which are still quiet delicate and only one is laying:).You will also need to worm them regulary(15 euro for a bottle)which will do lots of hens.Lice and mite powder,antibaterial powder for nicks and cuts.I have mine on poultry tonic and avc conditioner whch are only 1.99 and will last a while.Egg layer pellets were 19 euro for a 20kg bag.If you go through 6-10 eggs per day :)then you will need at least 6 hens:)which I think the house would be a bit small for them.You could build your own?We have just finished our new run(thank god).They will prob lay less in the winter months.As for breed?cant help ye there hehehe,Im still a beginer:).Best of luck when you get them they are great.Mine were nearly bald and were so thin and scared,never saw outside of a cage till they came here:(now they come running to me,one jumps on my shoulder,id sit for hours watching them.They were all sunbathing thismorning and were purring like cats:)..oh and maxi zoo do a big bale of straw for 9.99:)and they like to have a sand bath:) x

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭timshel.

Aw the poor lil mites, lucky they have you so!
    thats another reason i want to get them, so i know theyre not from hens that are kept in terrible conditions.

I measured the space for the coop and it turns out its about 8.5ft x 5.5ft so ive more room than i was thinking.
    I also just saw a 2nd hand coop for about €100 that measures roughly that size so hopefully if i get that i can keep more birds.

Advertisement