Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor dog killed by car

• 19-02-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Just seen a little dog get run over out the front of my apartment :( I seen him running around the park and then out the gate and straight out onfront of a jeep. Very shaken still but the poor driver had his little grandchild in the front seat and the owner just crossed the road and rubbed the dog til he stopped breathing. I went down with a blanket so the owner could carry him home in it, feel bad that i couldn't do more. So so sad. RIP little doggy :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I feel sorry for the dog but I also feel for you because I have seen a stray dog killed like this & the memory has never faded. I could see that the accident was about to happen but I couldn't do anything to stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I could see excatly what was going to happen too discodog... Could see him running through the park for the gate and just had a feeling it was going to happen and then it did :( I just felt so useless going down with a blanket and there was nothing more i could do! Just thinking about the poor owner at home now without his dog running around. Very sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭mattser

Sad alright, but all the more reason to keep your dog on a lead.

I could see excatly what was going to happen too discodog... Could see him running through the park for the gate and just had a feeling it was going to happen and then it did :( I just felt so useless going down with a blanket and there was nothing more i could do! Just thinking about the poor owner at home now without his dog running around. Very sad. :(

I was in a similar situation & I ended up running towards the dog & yelling at the lorry. The guy just ran over the dog & kept going. I must of looked grey because the police arrived & asked if I needed an ambulance. This was in the middle of London so loads of bystanders. I would love to be positive & say that you will forget it but you won't - sorry.

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Sad alright, but all the more reason to keep your dog on a lead.

Yep it is! I don't think the owner had a lead for him at all which i noticed straight away... although he could have put it in his pocket. Not only did the poor dog die but the driver and his little grandson also have to deal with the trauma just because the dog wasn't on a lead. :mad:

Discodog wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation & I ended up running towards the dog & yelling at the lorry. The guy just ran over the dog & kept going. I must of looked grey because the police arrived & asked if I needed an ambulance. This was in the middle of London so loads of bystanders. I would love to be positive & say that you will forget it but you won't - sorry.

The funny thing (although not in a haha way obviously) is that i seen my best friends sister getting knocked down about 10/11 years ago and this has brought it all back to me. I am also a nurse and if it hadda been a person at least i could have helped whereas it being a dog i felt totally useless! Maybe that's why it has upset me so much. :confused:

Every single day I see people walking on the footpath next to a busy road with their dog off lead. It really spooks me especially if I am driving. It only takes a split second of distraction.

Every single day I see people walking on the footpath next to a busy road with their dog off lead. It really spooks me especially if I am driving. It only takes a split second of distraction.

It does. There is also the fact that it could cause such a serious accident. I know my own mam will nearly swerve off a road to miss a crow :rolleyes:, id hate to think what damage she could do to herself or others if a dog ran out in front of her car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Happened to my sister's dog. The front door was open for two seconds and he bolted out the door and across the road and unfortunately got hit by a small truck and killed (it's a very residential area too so it was unusual for a truck to be there at all).

Apparently the poor thing was wagging his tail as he passed because he was being comforted by my brother in law. The family were very upset.

:'''(

• Advertisement

The funny thing (although not in a haha way obviously) is that i seen my best friends sister getting knocked down about 10/11 years ago and this has brought it all back to me. I am also a nurse and if it hadda been a person at least i could have helped whereas it being a dog i felt totally useless! Maybe that's why it has upset me so much. :confused:

I too felt helpless but the dog was killed instantly. I am sure it is why I am now paranoid about my three being onlead if we are anywhere near a road.

Oh my god Chuck. :( The dog today just looked at his owner when he came over-i thought he was gonna get up but then he just died.

Discodog, in a way it was good because at least it has made you look after your little ones better when you are near a road. Sad way for anyone to learn that lesson though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

the poor dog :( hate reading about these stories.

Was out on a walk yesterday and seen some fella running with his huskey which completely disobeyed his every command. the huskey seen a gap in the hedge and ran out infront of the car, my heart was in my mouth luckly the car stopped in time. I gave the owner a few words of advice about the lead but he politely replied he could control his dog and didnt need a lead.

some people :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I saw an awful thing with three dogs running off lead at that huge multilane junction at Clare Hall / Tescis a while back. One was lying killed at the side if a lane, the second was running amuck with blood streaming from it; and three people had abandoned their cars mid traffic to try & catch the third or co
    Fort the other. It was total chaos & SO dangerous for the drivers coming around the junction ; it's such a complicated road. It really struck me how dangerous it us to walk dogs off lead near roads ; they might have been sprint after a cat or just playing but the images & the pools of lucid red blood will stay with me : (

At least you did something to help the poor owner. How awful for everyone.
    : (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CatherineMac

Just seen a little dog get run over out the front of my apartment :( I seen him running around the park and then out the gate and straight out onfront of a jeep. Very shaken still but the poor driver had his little grandchild in the front seat and the owner just crossed the road and rubbed the dog til he stopped breathing. I went down with a blanket so the owner could carry him home in it, feel bad that i couldn't do more. So so sad. RIP little doggy :(

Very upsetting for you. But please take some comfort in the fact that the owner of the little dog will always think kindly of you for your going down to bring that blanket.

One of our cats got knocked down outside the house some years ago and I happened to notice cars backing up as one car had stopped. At that stage I didn't know why, but as an owner of many cats over the years I had a nagging fear of what it might be.

My husband went down to the gate and a woman appeared with her own jumper and our beautiful ginger tom dead on top of it.

Yes, I was very upset but later I thought how kind of that woman, whose car had not been the one to hit our car ~ the car in front had and he too had stopped. But just the thought that she was so lovely as to use her own jumper to cradle our cat home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Ah that's a terrible thing to happen.

Hopefully people will read this and realise how important it is to keep the dog on lead, no matter how good a recall you have. Near roads, it's just not fair to the dog, owners, public and drivers. A truck can't swerve to avoid a dog if going at speed, I know if it was me in a tractor the poor dog would have to take one for the team as I just couldn't swerve or slam on the breaks, it'd cause a crash and harm or kill someone on our road.

My previous GSD escaped and went for the main road, he ran under the first car that came and did €2500 damage. Obviously we were devastated but I took solace in the fact that no one died as it's a really busy road and it was dark. A motorbike wouldn't have stood a chance. I couldn't live with myself if my dog, really me, caused an accident that maimed or killed a person.

So, leads at all times I think, unless you're in a properly fenced area. A pooch can't help chasing something when it's in their nature to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I hit a dog with my car once, he dashed out from a field through the open gate and clipped the side of my car. It happened so quickly, I got such a fright. I stopped and looked in my rear view mirror and saw him get up and walk off. His owner came and insisted on checking my car for damage (well he would have been liable afaik) while I kept asking if the dog was ok and he just said 'ah he'll be grand' so hopefully he was. It was an awful sound when I hit him but I really dont think I could have avoided him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I see a guy regularly walking down the dual carriageway between the motorway and Loughrea Town, walking his black lab off lead, seen him today actually, makes me feel so nervous when I see him I always slow down, ironically he was wearing a hi vis vest, so he's obviously concerned for his own safety!! One day I will have to stop and ask him what he thinks he's doing the fool.

Advertisement