Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time to Mow !

Options
  • 19-02-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭

So dig out that mower & give it a service:

Change the oil
    Clean & if necessary replace the air filter
    Lubricate the cables
    Clean/replace the spark plug
    Clean/replace the fuel filter

Sharpen the blades - it is amazing how much of a difference sharp blades make to the performance. Don't over sharpen them - you want a steep edge that won't easily blunt. Check the blade balance before refitting the blade by hanging it on a screwdriver through the centre hole. Always remove the spark plug cap before touching the blades & make sure you have tightened the blade bolts :eek:

Clean the grass bag/box so that air can flow through it.

Most mowers have their revs reduced often for noise reasons. It is usually easy to increase the maximum revs by 20%. This will make the mower cut better in the wet & cut faster. It can often be better for the engine as it brings the revs up into the maximum torque range.

After use always clean under the mower. One of those round washing up brushes is perfect.

So what have I forgotten - feel free to add to the list & ask if you are not sure how to do something :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Discodog wrote: »
    So dig out that mower & give it a service:

Change the oil
    Clean & if necessary replace the air filter
    Lubricate the cables
    Clean/replace the spark plug
    Clean/replace the fuel filter

Sharpen the blades - it is amazing how much of a difference sharp blades make to the performance. Don't over sharpen them - you want a steep edge that won't easily blunt. Check the blade balance before refitting the blade by hanging it on a screwdriver through the centre hole. Always remove the spark plug cap before touching the blades & make sure you have tightened the blade bolts :eek:

Clean the grass bag/box so that air can flow through it.

Most mowers have their revs reduced often for noise reasons. It is usually easy to increase the maximum revs by 20%. This will make the mower cut better in the wet & cut faster. It can often be better for the engine as it brings the revs up into the maximum torque range.

After use always clean under the mower. One of those round washing up brushes is perfect.

So what have I forgotten - feel free to add to the list & ask if you are not sure how to do something :D

How much should a service cost ?
    The Honda dealer said it's better to get it done by them but surely any lawnmower place that does services should be ok ?
    I'm not chancing doing it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Hey Discodog,how can i increase the revs on my Mower,its a Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

km79 wrote: »
    How much should a service cost ?
    The Honda dealer said it's better to get it done by them but surely any lawnmower place that does services should be ok ?
    I'm not chancing doing it myself

I don't know about price but it is a condition of the Honda extended warranty that it is service by a Honda dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hey Discodog,how can i increase the revs on my Mower,its a Rover.

Depends on what engine is fitted - it's probably a Briggs & Stratton. The first thing is to make sure that it really is on full throttle. You can easily adjust the throttle cable to the point just before the choke engages. Often there is a screw that adjusts the throttle.

Advertisement