Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space ( late to the party ) !

Options
  • 19-02-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So anyway, i picked up Dead space 1 and 2 for 10 quid on one of the steam sales.

just finished dead space 1 and i can say only one thing: WOOOOOOOOW! :eek:
    Story was really good. ( i watched all pre release 4 part cartoons and that full cartoon dead space, so i am sort of sucker for that universe :o )
    i knew its a great game, but my grapes were newer big enough to complete it. :o great game. i will deffo come back to in on hard mode someday! ( god bless steam! )

is there more then military suit after first completion? i might play on imposible mode as medium mode was way to easy n pc to be honest. i had like 20-30 medkits in my bank. :(

set steam to download dead space 2! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's a fantastic series all right. The second movie was a bit of a let down, but I liked the first one. Also the comic was fun.

I even had Extraction (when I owned a Wii).

The second takes a bit of a deviation from the feel of the first (being more action-based...but there are still a few good shock moments).

Although saying that there are a lot of times your face will do this -> :eek:

I've currently loaned the two to a mate and am anxiously waiting for them back as I feel the survival-horror itch.

Sure never late to a party, I'm only trying to get my way through Assassins Creed!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Dead Space 2 was my GOTY 2011.

A piece of advice. Learn to use the Seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i was watching some show and they said that dead space did not do great as franchise... i thought it did really not bad!

i personally own dead space 1 on xbox and pc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

chin_grin wrote: »
    Sure never late to a party, I'm only trying to get my way through Assassins Creed!

Don't spend too long on Assassin's Creed. Jump into the sequel as soon as you can.

I've had Dead Space sitting on my shelf for nearly two years now, almost untouched. I played the first chapter I think but I don't like the feeling of tension all the time. I know that is what they were aiming for but I didn't feel it enjoyable to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The first somewhat miraculously got past the fact that it was shamelessly derivative of everything from Alien to Resident Evil 4. It was the strength of the mechanics, UI design and atmosphere that really made it stand out despite it's shameless pinching from every sci-fi source imaginable :pac:

But Dead Space 2 remains a huge disappointment for me. In trying to make everything bigger and more action-orientated it loses that sense of dread and desperation of the first. Even the streamlining of the zero g sections actually lost lots of character when the purposeful clunkiness of the first was removed. And eventually it just descended into a highly predictable, repetitive corridor shooter. It's still a solid and enjoyable game (with rock solid mechanics) but Dead Space 3 needs to be a serious evolution IMO to stand out.

• Advertisement

The first somewhat miraculously got past the fact that it was shamelessly derivative of everything from Alien to Resident Evil 4. It was the strength of the mechanics, UI design and atmosphere that really made it stand out despite it's shameless pinching from every sci-fi source imaginable :pac:

But Dead Space 2 remains a huge disappointment for me. In trying to make everything bigger and more action-orientated it loses that sense of dread and desperation of the first. Even the streamlining of the zero g sections actually lost lots of character when the purposeful clunkiness of the first was removed. And eventually it just descended into a highly predictable, repetitive corridor shooter. It's still a solid and enjoyable game (with rock solid mechanics) but Dead Space 3 needs to be a serious evolution IMO to stand out.

well i already told my goodbyes to dead space 3. developers said that they will go the resident evil way, becouse it is popular. so i guess "ZE MORA AKTIONE!!!", will kill the last horror survival game we got :(

well i downloaded dead space 2 and so far very mixed emotions :(

i have no sence of fear in this one... and i am playing on " survivalist " mode. got more health packs then i can fill in my hole. i started with a full arsenal of weapons too...

question: do you get all rig suits and all weapons in the start of the game for free?!?!?! :eek: WTF?! so money is good only for ammo and there wont be any new suits to look forward? :( i loved to upgrade my suit and check how badass i get.

controls are way more sharper then in dead space 1. it looks like they were doing game with having in mind that someone will use mouse and keyboard :rolleyes:, i know those idiots still use it...

i checked some videos online and people get only 1 suit from that first shop... why on earth i get all weapons ands suits for free? :( i dont want them! i want challange! is it some sort of bug?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Playing through Dead Space at the mo, it's brilliant, so atmospheric, played with the lights off and headphones on. Will definetly pick up Dead Space 2, played the demo of it for the ps3 but it didnt impress me but i'll definetly give it another shot in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

well i already told my goodbyes to dead space 3. developers said that they will go the resident evil way, becouse it is popular. so i guess "ZE MORA AKTIONE!!!", will kill the last horror survival game we got :(
    Huh? Dead Space is more like Resident Evil 4 than any of the previous games in the series. :confused:

gizmo wrote: »
    Huh? Dead Space is more like Resident Evil 4 than any of the previous games in the series. :confused:

Well dead space 1 was all about atmosphere, and in today's standards it is not linear like re5.

It's not like re 1 2 3, but it is not as bad as 5.

If I would put in any way similar:

Dead space 1 = re4/old school
    Dead space 2 = re5

• Advertisement

Ah, I've not played Resident Evil 5. :)

Hmm, I'd be surprised if Dead Space 3 went more in the Resident Evil 5+ direction to be honest. Both the sales and reviews of the second game were lower than the first so I would have hoped they'd realise the need to return to what made the first so special for the third game.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GtotheD

I have to say, Dead Space was a complete epiphany for me in terms of recent survival-horror for me when it came out. I revelled in how nervous it made me entering new rooms and progressing through the game. Dead Space 2, definitely more RE5.
    IMO the game is still good- just it's bucking the trend these days, and while popular, it's going to lose its intended appeal. Still love the series though.

Reminds me of Dino Crisis 1 and 2, if anyone remembers those.
    Loved those games, especially 1.

Ah, I've not played Resident Evil 5. :)

Hmm, I'd be surprised if Dead Space 3 went more in the Resident Evil 5+ direction to be honest. Both the sales and reviews of the second game were lower than the first so I would have hoped they'd realise the need to return to what made the first so special for the third game.

Well that's what they said. I can't dig out the article, but that's what they said. It will be going resident evil 5 way with more action.

You can feel that a lot with dead space 1 and dead space 2. In dead space 1 you might get in to room, which will be totally empty, but you will poop your pants, where's dead space 2 feels like a corridor of pure shooting. I played both se way - always night time. Doors closed, lights off. 5.1 speakers. Dead space 1 made me jump **** loads of times, where's dead space 2 barely does it :(.

I will still go for it as I am a sucker for dead space lore, but I need to sort out that bug/cheat that gives me all weapons and suits from first shop.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Going against everyone else here but Dead Space never won me over. I found it to be a "things jump out of you" kind of game and it just never did anything for me. I prefer a more psychological horror game- for me FEAR 2 was class. But to each their own. I'm also the only one of my mates who didn't finish it, and the only one who did finish fear 2.

bubblefett wrote: »
    Going against everyone else here but Dead Space never won me over. I found it to be a "things jump out of you" kind of game and it just never did anything for me. I prefer a more psychological horror game- for me FEAR 2 was class. But to each their own. I'm also the only one of my mates who didn't finish it, and the only one who did finish fear 2.
    Did you play FEAR 1 as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This thread got me thinking, I loved Dead Space 1, fantastic atmosphere, but I never picked up DS 2. Bound to be going cheap, must keep a look out for it.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    This thread got me thinking, I loved Dead Space 1, fantastic atmosphere, but I never picked up DS 2. Bound to be going cheap, must keep a look out for it.

I got my dead space 1+2 for 10 eu on sale. There will be Easter sale soon anyway, so keep on look out.

+1 gizmo. Fear 1 was increadible and it was better then fear 2. It is strange to see someone like fear 2 as horror game. It's not bad game by any means, but when you see what gem fear 1 was, them. Fear 2 quite drops down :(

Did you play FEAR 1 as a matter of interest?

Yeap, along with fear files and fear 3

bubblefett wrote: »
    Yeap, along with fear files and fear 3
    Hmm, I'm quite surprised you chose to use FEAR 2 as an example of a psychological horror game rather than the original in that case. :o

right lads, i am really confused WTF is wrong with my game. i started from start again and when i got to the first shop i get all of the suits and all of the weapons for free... WTF?! i am playing on survivalist mode, why on earth its so easy mode?!

is it a bug or it has to be same way? i clearly sow on youtube that you should not get all the items from first shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

right lads, i am really confused WTF is wrong with my game. i started from start again and when i got to the first shop i get all of the suits and all of the weapons for free... WTF?! i am playing on survivalist mode, why on earth its so easy mode?!

is it a bug or it has to be same way? i clearly sow on youtube that you should not get all the items from first shop!

It's meant to be that way, all the DLC was released free as part of a patch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely dlc shouldn't give you all the suits and stuff for free at the start of the game

post on the steam forum for dead space SH. someone there will know

surely dlc shouldn't give you all the suits and stuff for free at the start of the game

post on the steam forum for dead space SH. someone there will know

It's all the DLC stuff.

http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Store

Varik wrote: »

That is bull**** :(. I don't see it anywhere to disable dlc! It ruins the game! Destroys any little of horror survival that was left!!! :(

That is bull**** :(. I don't see it anywhere to disable dlc! It ruins the game! Destroys any little of horror survival that was left!!! :(
    Have some willpower man! Just don't use it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you could always download a pirated copy of the game and dont install the dlc including patch :)

Thx for help lads. I still don't know what will I do about it, but pirated version sounds good...

I can't believe they can **** up game so badly :(

Thx for help lads. I still don't know what will I do about it, but pirated version sounds good...

I can't believe they can **** up game so badly :(

Just don't use those weapons.

Hmm, I'm quite surprised you chose to use FEAR 2 as an example of a psychological horror game rather than the original in that case. :o

No deep reason as to why I said it above the others other than the fact it's one of my favourite games and the best out of the series imo :)
    All class games though- I can see why people like 1 better, I just enjoyed 2 more

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Just don't use those weapons.

Well easy to say, but there are more trouble then just " not using ".

1. How do I know when those weapons will be unlocked in game, so I can pick it up?
    2. It makes me not to spend credits so I will have more credits then needed in game.

Advertisement