Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC blocking NBA streaming?

• 19-02-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

I signed up to the NBA league pass to be able to watch live basketball. The website etc. everything was working fine yesterday.

Today I can't get onto the website. Address is ilp.nba.com

It gives me the following error:
    HTTP Status 404 -

type Status report

description The requested resource () is not available.

Apache Tomcat/6.0.29p

I checked isup and other online checkers and they said the website is working fine.

I only joined UPC recently and my magnet service is still connected. So I switched my connection to that and tried it... and lo and behold, it's working fine. Unfortunately the speed on magnet isn't good enough to really watch a high quality stream.

I rang UPC and they say that they aren't blocking it and that it seems to be down from their end and that they also tried another network and it was down on that also.

I'm not sure I believe them. Would some of you guys please mind trying NBA tv and see if it works for you?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

im with upc in dublin
    http://ilp.nba.com loads fine for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Thanks.

I'll ring customer service again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

for what its worth the website works on vodafone mobile phone too.

Okay...

Called customer support again. Got a different person this time... he told me the following:

1) The website was working fine at his end.

2) There was no log of my previous call to the customer service rep. He didn't understand why they would tell me that the website wasn't working and especially that it wasn't accessible from another network.

He made me do countless things like reseting the router, clearing my cache, starting in safe mode etc. All to no avail.

Here is the problem as it stands:

ilp.nba.com gives me a 404 error on UPC. Every other website I want to access works fine.

When I ping there is no packet loss with a ping of 98ms. Doing a tracert and entering the IP directly gives me a blank page.

The problem is not limited to the laptop. When I try to access the same website via the Ipad I get the same error. However, when I switch my network to magnet, both the Ipad safari browser, the ipad app and my laptop work fine on the website.

The CS rep said he didn't know why there was a problem and that he will escalate and UPC will get back to me tomorrow.

My conclusion thus far:

I believe UPC are deliberately blocking access to the website. I believe the first CS rep I spoke to knew of this and lied to me. I was lucky to end up with an honest rep the second time around who acknowledged that the website was working fine. I plan on ringing UPC tomorrow at 9 to see what the story is.

But for the fact that my Magnet account is still active I wouldn't have been able to know conclusively that the problem is with UPC and definitely not at my end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Change your DNS servers.

• Advertisement

The UPC guy went through the DNS stuff with me and told me to leave all my settings to default. Currently all the settings are on automatic detection.

How do I change the DNS and to what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Try Google dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

You can change this in your router settings or in Windows Control Panel under networking.

All right, thanks. Will try it later. I'm watching the stream on Magnet at lower quality for the moment.

Okay the site seems to be working again. Not sure what the problem was but glad it's resolved anyway.

Still feel the entire episode seemed a bit dodgy to me but obviously no way to prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Memnoch wrote: »

Still feel the entire episode seemed a bit dodgy to me but obviously no way to prove it.

wsv248.jpg:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Never mind UPC ...I find someone paying a 170 quid to watch basketball a bit dodgy....no offence :D

Advertisement