Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employment Law - Employee/Union firms

• 19-02-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I'm currently nearing the end of a 4-year law degree and I'm considering my future career options. I decided not to apply for any traineeships as I was still undecided as to what I wanted to do long-term.

I'm very interested in employment and labour law and I think I would like to work in this area. It an area of law which I have a real passion for and interest in. However, while I have heard there is quite a lot of work in this area, I would not like to work for a commercial firm advising employers, where it seems most of the work and traineeships are.

I have seen in England that there are a number of employee/trade union firms, see here: http://www.legal500.com/c/london/human-resources/employment-employee-union-firms
    Does anyone know if firms such as those in the above link advising employees and/or trade unions also exist in Ireland and if so, is it difficult to obtain a traineeship with them?

I would also be very interested in working in a legal capacity within a trade union advising and representing workers in the Labour Court, EAT, etc. However, I don't know how one would go about this.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

There are a number of firms with large employment law practices - Hayes for example do alot of plaintiff work. The firms have alot of involvement in the employment law journals. Read the journals and see where the people writing articles are working.

Whilst I'm sure there are legal jobs within the Unions alot of their work down at the Labour Court is conducted by non lawyers.

Advertisement