Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an I.T. vs a university ireland

Options
  • 19-02-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there's a big difference in studying courses in ITs (Information Technology) vs. those in universities in Ireland.
    The points in general for the same course are higher in eg: UCD and TCD vs. DIT, why is this ?

And would someone with e.g. a business degree who studied in eg: UCD have a greater chance of obtaining a job than someone who obtained the degree in e.g: DIT ?

I'd appreciate some help as I would take your views into account when filling out my cao.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The points are higher because more people want to go to a particular place, be it an IT, a university, or a hole in the ditch.

Obviously, cities will attract more entries, so almost all city-based courses will have higher points than places like (no disrespect) Letterkenny, Carlow, or Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

And would someone with e.g. a business degree who studied in eg: UCD have a greater chance of obtaining a job than someone who obtained the degree in e.g: DIT ?

In short - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I don't think someone with a degree from a university has a big advantage over someone who has a similar degree from an IT. In fact a lot of employers look very favourably on some degrees from the ITs because they often have more of an industry focus and are more likely to have a work placement as part of the course. This can be a huge plus when looking for that first job after college.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Look for course reputation, not course provider.

Advertisement