Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jack Russell killed my cat, can I trust him with my other dog now?

• 19-02-2012 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

can someone advise me please. I adopted two rescue dogs last summer.I already had cat in house but while Ben the jack Russell was curious bout her,theyd gotten to stage where would lie next to each other on couch. Last night I arrived home to find Ben had killed the poor cat.I've gotten over it and don't blame him,just myself for being naive enough to trust leaving them in same room unsupervised. Was just talkin to a friend who has freaked me out-said that Ben has possibly gotten taste for blood and I shouldn't let him alone wit my other dog in case. The jack Russell has always been dog aggressive and barely tolerated my collie.they have fights from day one and these still happen every now and again.he has been growling at her a lot more today so I'm afraid to go to work tomorrow.is there truth in this taste of blood thing.should I be worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

seefin wrote: »
    Ben has possibly gotten taste for blood

This is an old wives tale with NO truth to it what so ever.

As horrid as what happened your cat is, the question now is how has Ben been around dogs? Or how is he around your other dog?

If you are that worried, you could keep them in separate area's of the house while you go to work, until you can get a behavioralist in.

But, personally, I wouldn't see any reason to worry about leaving him with a dog, who he is always left with, based purely on the horrific incident with your cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

My neighbour had a Jackrussell they had it a number of years before it attacked my daughter up until that there had been no incidents. In the following year it attacked another smaller dog and another child before the owners had it put down, They were of the opinion that it got crosser as it got older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

My JR is just gone 3 and is getting very contrary. She used to be grand but over the last few months she keeps winding up my old rottie, who will just fob her off untill JR really provokes her into a fight. I hope it's a passing phase, she's going to vets for yearly booster tommorow so i'ii be checking for any pain etc. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

is there truth in this taste of blood thing.should I be worried?

I be worried if I had another cat. The taste for blood if any should be species specific. He probably just didn't like cats ( don't blame him;)). The cat probably swiped at his nose and he lost the head. Seen it happen. A dog can kill a cat with one bite. The fact he fights with your collie is probably unrelated. Get a muzzle if your still worried. Did he eat the cat or just kill it?

I'd put up a post in the hunting forum. the lads there will have more experience with terriers like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Killing one type of animal shows no predeliction for killing one of their own kind. My terriers kill rats when they can, but I never worry about them attacking each other, though they do have an occasional spat.

What would concern me is that you say that there is, and always has been, tension between this dog and your other dog. This is something that you need to address with a professional. If you say where you are someone will be ale to recommend a behaviourist in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Living in cork.have contacted a few behaviourists. Money is tight so hoping they can help sort for less than 100! Any recommendations welcome.
    Was speaking to animal welfare officer who said maybe should look at rehoming dog as he not socialized well and more suited to being only animal in house. Want to avoid as love him but must consider if training doesn't work out. Thanks for reassurance, couldn't cope wit anything happening one of them too on top of poor cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

is there truth in this taste of blood thing.should I be worried?

I be worried if I had another cat. The taste for blood if any should be species specific. He probably just didn't like cats ( don't blame him;)). The cat probably swiped at his nose and he lost the head. Seen it happen. A dog can kill a cat with one bite. The fact he fights with your collie is probably unrelated. Get a muzzle if your still worried. Did he eat the cat or just kill it?

I'd put up a post in the hunting forum. the lads there will have more experience with terriers like him.

good advice,will do -thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O ; how sad & how horrific for you to find. I'm very sorry about your pet cat.
    I don't know about the " blooding" ; but I would be very concerned. And it's called blooding for a reason..:(
    If this dog is killing your pet cat and being agressive & intolerant to your other pet I'm not sure your rescue situation is the best situation for it. Or you. Or possibly the other cats in the neighbourhood.
    I would be thinking that your original pet(s) the collie deserves better. And if the JR is reacting that way to it's environment after so much care & love being fostered on it & so much time spent getting used to the other dog/&cat, perhaps it's distressing & unfair to it too; long-term.

There is also a risk I would suggest to others.

If the rescue place has suggested a more suitable spot & can find one; I personally would be looking at this route.

Advertisement