Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad - purchase or not???

• 19-02-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was the owner of a beloved MacBook until it was stolen in our house last week :( now I need an alternative that is affordable but let's me do everything I want. Unfortunately I do not have the funds for a new MacBook and I don't want to go down the scone hand route.

I'm considering an iPad as I have a toshiba from work which can do all my work commitments.

I'd need the iPad for basic Internet and word processing. Not being able to open adobe isn't the end of the world. However I'm a downloading addict so would need bigger memory. Does anyone know does torrentz and the transmission app and vlc work on iPad? Online lectures would need to be viewed too from chartered accountants not sure what format they are in.

Does iTunes exist on iPad? And the normal apple pages app?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Pages yes, iTunes yes, torrents no. It sounds to me like you need a laptop, not a tablet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Pages yes, iTunes yes, torrents no. It sounds to me like you need a laptop, not a tablet.
    Agreed.

Too much stuff for you won't work on an iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

The only thing on this list that you really can't do is Torrents. Not sure of the video formats but there are some great video app already which handle most formats for you).

VLC was available then got pulled (due to some developer complaining about his code being released), but the was a release of VLC 2.0 today which indicated and IOS VLC will be coming soon (I believe they rewrote most of the code for Mac and IOS (as well as Android). In the mean time, I would use Flexplayer if you have access to the videos to drag/drop onto the iPad or something like AirVideo (if you did have say a work PC on your network) to stream stuff to your iPad.

I even use a partial solution for torrenting on the iPad (without jailbreaking), if you have a computer to act as a Transmission daemon on your home network with the transmissions Web UI running, is reasonable easy to use. Basically IOS Safari can browse all your favourite torrent sites, when you find stuff you want to download, run a special bookmarklet in safari which redirects the torrent download requests to your transmission daemon. Nice thing about this is I don't even have to be at home to get my iPad to download whatever I want on my home network. I know its not a standalone torrent downloading solution but I thought you might be interested.

Advertisement