Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurence for a car

Options
  • 19-02-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

is it true you dont need insurance for a car in australia??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

car has to be rego'd that gives you third party insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

so if i buy a car over there u dont need insurance a friend off mine was tell me but dont know its true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You do need to pay rego you Dont need to have other private insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

To drive a car in Australia it must have Rego, which is your car tax, 3rd party insurance, and certificate of road worthiness all in one.

It costs around $1,000 per year, when your buying a car some cars will have Rego for 3 months(ie the rego stays with the car and can be factored into the sale price).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

wat rego

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You need rego or CTP (compulsory third party) which only covers personal injury of the third person not damages to the car.
    You must buy 3rd party damage separately, but is optional

If the car is more than 5 years you need a car inspection report too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Bought a car about 3 weeks ago and was under the impression the 3rd Party Insurance you get with Rego was 3rd party fire & theft ... was put straight by a guy in work so I sorted out 3rd party property,fire & theft pretty cheap. I think I'm paying $20 a month for mine which is fine ... pretty simple to sort it out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

kevin-46 wrote: »
    wat rego

Rego is like Road tax, you cant get your car Registered (Road taxed) unless you get the CTP (also called a greenslip) hussey mentioned.

In NSW Rego is a fixed price worked out by the weight of the car ie.

Astra $272
    Commodore $321
    Land Cruiser Prado $459

CTP price depends on your vehicle and details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 skyboy87

just wondering if i buy a car with 4 months rego but dosnt have a rwc can i drive it for the four months without getting the car inspected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

skyboy87 wrote: »
    just wondering if i buy a car with 4 months rego but dosnt have a rwc can i drive it for the four months without getting the car inspected?
    Yep, if it needs one then it will already have a RWC valid until end of rego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

skyboy87 wrote: »
    hussey wrote: »
    Yep, if it needs one then it will already have a RWC valid until end of rego.

Do you not need a new RWC for transfer of ownership of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Do you not need a new RWC for transfer of ownership of the car?
    Depends on the state,
    NSW - No
    Queensland - Yes, I think
    Not sure about the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Depends on the state,
    NSW - No
    Not sure about the rest

Cheers, was confused because Victoria requires one for transfer of ownership but not for renewal of rego.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 skyboy87

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Depends on the state,
    NSW - No
    Not sure about the rest

ill be in queensland so if you do need a rwc for change of ownership does that mean i cant buy a car unless it has a rwc even if its being sold with rego?

Advertisement