Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodlands Maynooth

Options
  • 19-02-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there,

Am thinking of buying in Maynooth and Woodlands looks like a nice estate.
    Just wondering what people think re possible train noise??? It seems the train track is just a bit back from the estate...

We would need access to N4 at bout 8am and 9am respectively.. how would traffic be at these times? We figure a bit better than the far side of the town???

Also Im guessing its more owner occupied than student accom, would I be right?

From reading old posts online it appears prices in Woodlands have traditionally been a bit higher than other estates..why is this?
    there are currently two 4 bed detached's on the market for €330k and €370k - both needing some work... but both still seem high to me in this climate...

We are a couple just having our first baby in the next week or so.. Im working in Mullingar and my husband works in Tallaght so it seems like a good compromise as a place to live all things considered.

Do people find the train service into Dublin efficient? The timetable looks pretty regular.

Also we would need a good creche.. any recommendations?

Sorry guys I know we are asking lots of questions, just trying to get a good feel for the place before pursuing anything,,,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

You should try posting under region in the Kildare forum you might get more pointers there as Kildare people will be knocking about over there.

Would you not look at Celbridge, it hasn't got the student population, that's what would put me off Maynooth to be honest, just the college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Maynooth line train service sucks to be honest. I live in D15 so would be getting on later but the trains are regularly delayed and even if they run on time as far as here, they regularly get delayed at either Drumcondra or Connolly. They are also not particularly frequent outside of rush hour and at rush hour they end up jammed like sardine tins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I've lived in Maynooth for the last 10 years. Used train on a daily basis for the last 7 years.

- Train service does have it's issues but ~95% of the time it's fine
    - Maynooth is first stop on commuter service - Means you get a seat 99% of the time (Only time you wouldnt is when it's a sligo or long ford train)
    - Woodlands isn't really a student estate. It's mostly settled in my experience
    -2 Dublin bus services, Nightlink & Bus Eireann links.

Maynooth beats any of the local towns (Celbridge,Lexlip,Kilocok) in terms of public transport. It's got better shops & services as well imho.

Train noise - Wouldnt worry about it. You are on the Sligo side in woodlands & you adapt pretty quickly to not notice it even if you do hear it.

Creche - Friend of mine use "Kinder Creche" on the straffan road(Just beside the Maxol station) & speak highly of it.

Those prices you method are high but bear in mind a 4 bed detached is top end. There is still a bit of price delusion going on in terms of some prices. I know you can do a lot better.

Traffic. It can vary & i dont drive so im not a good source. I'd take a drive around yourself tbh.

It's generally a nice place to live imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

Most sellers in Maynooth still seem to be delusional - there hasn't really been any dramatic drops in asking prices like inm other similar areas.

The train service is pretty good - there are very very occasional disruptions.
    If you're getting on in Maynooth you get a seat 99% of the time.

If you're commuting to Tallaght it'd be alot easier/quicker to drive using the outer ring road - just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 21 marber1978

Thanks for all the info it is appreciated!

Had a look at the houses, but the layout of the bungalowsa is pretty bad - all the living area to the front (north facing) and south facing back bedrooms... would need to remodel substantially to avail of any of the back garden for living purposes which wouldnt come cheap! And by the current asking prices it just wouldnt be worhwhile to spend that money as I doubt you would make it back in re-sale.. saying that its a really nice estate..
    Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Trainline behind Woodlands has minimal services compared to, say, behind Parklands (as many terminate in Maynooth) and no longer has any night freight.

Your biggest risk is the occasional protestors outside Rody Molloy's house as he lives in Woodlands IIRC ;)

The prices here are being artificially held up by the assumption that students will forever be willing to pay a grand a month between them for a poor condition house. Seeing as apartments are now falling rapidly here to realistic prices, the houses will follow (I hope!) edit: another large % cut across the board at one of the new apartment-estates today in fact.

I wouldn't take the Outer Ring Road to Tallaght as you can spend prolonged periods getting through the section with frequent lights in Lucan. M4/M50 inbound is always fine and on the way home you may have ten minutes delay getting off the M50 on to the M4 outbound but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Have to agree the rents in Maynooth are pretty mad. We just moved out to celbridge. For a bigger place we're paying 170e a month less with extra space! Plus we're only about 4 minutes from maynooth and 6-7 from the leixlip louisa bridge train station.
    These high rental prices mean that house prices are still very high in the town

Have to agree the rents in Maynooth are pretty mad. We just moved out to celbridge. For a bigger place we're paying 170e a month less with extra space!

I disagree about the rents. I've seen( & paid) some significant decreases over the last 4/5 years. I'd expect them to be slightly higher than surrounding towns but i've seen similar 4 beds drop by 400 euro a month & 3 beds by about 300 a month since 2007.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maynooth is a lovely town to live in and to bring kids up in.
    There are few nice mostly student free estates.
    Rockfield and Parklands are worth a look,WOodlands is a long walk from the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Agent J wrote: »
    Have to agree the rents in Maynooth are pretty mad. We just moved out to celbridge. For a bigger place we're paying 170e a month less with extra space!

I disagree about the rents. I've seen( & paid) some significant decreases over the last 4/5 years. I'd expect them to be slightly higher than surrounding towns but i've seen similar 4 beds drop by 400 euro a month & 3 beds by about 300 a month since 2007.

I'm not saying they haven't fallen just that they are high IMO or at least I got way better value in celbridge

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Rockfield and Parklands are worth a look,WOodlands is a long walk from the train.

Rockfield would be about the same distance on foot, remember there's pedestrian access to the station from Bond Bridge also.

Google suggests its far further but Google hasn't got the walkway in to Parklands in so I suspect its only really the same more or less.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Really?
    Woodlands is way down the Rathcoffey road,right?
    I suppose the back of Rockfield would probably be as far and Parklands is 5-10 minutes depending on what part you are in.

Really?
    Woodlands is way down the Rathcoffey road,right?
    I suppose the back of Rockfield would probably be as far and Parklands is 5-10 minutes depending on what part you are in.

First estate *on* the Rathcoffey Road (as opposed to accessed from - the other entrance to Beaufield is about 5 metres nearer the town though).

Distance perception in this town always goes funny, the estates on the Moyglare Road seem a huge distance out but aren't as far as the furthest ones the opposite way - except Moyglare Hall with its ridiculous entrance...

Moyglare hall. For the love of all that is holy avoid avoid avoid avoid.

why?

I live on the other side of town so really have no idea.

why?

I live on the other side of town so really have no idea.

Take spin over there sometime.
    (Or if you are a runner take a jog on by).

It's about 30 mins from main st on foot. You know the entrance to Moyglare village(With the shop/post box etc?) . Its about 15-20 mins beyond that on foot.
    It's a half finished estate as well.

As far as i know there was a stage 3 plan to put a foot path which would have given a direct connection to the main road near the GAA club but it never happened.

IF the estate is ever finished to its full extent (its still officially not abandoned, I believe they've finished a few houses since the crash...) there'll be another entrance much closer

But as it stands you need to go basically all four sides of a square to get out from some of them.

You can see the intended route here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.38961&lon=-6.59425&zoom=17&layers=M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

athtrasna wrote: »
    The Maynooth line train service sucks to be honest. I live in D15 so would be getting on later but the trains are regularly delayed and even if they run on time as far as here, they regularly get delayed at either Drumcondra or Connolly. They are also not particularly frequent outside of rush hour and at rush hour they end up jammed like sardine tins.

:confused:

Are you joking me. They are not perfect I completely acknowledge. But I get into work on them every day with minimal issue, generally.
    You make it sound like they cannot be relied on at all for a commute into town :confused:

Advertisement