Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what type of chilli I have here?

Options
  • 19-02-2012 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

The first one is yellow and elongated, but not as long as a "normal" chilli

The second one is orange and pretty non-descript, it's not as crinkly as the yellow

the third one is red and I think is a scotch bonnet

the fourth one is purple, and bigger than the red one

what do I use them in?

DSCN0176.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

they look like habaneros to me but im not too sure! they're very hot i put them in Mexican food like chilli

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

You've been to Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Orange could be habanero, the red one a pimento, and the last one is a scotch bonnet.
    Not sure about the first. Could be a habanero also.

Google images to see typicals.
    Either way, these are all going to be hot, so i'd go with chili

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The last one looks too big and too smooth to be a Scotch Bonnet, imo.

First two are habaneros. Very hot, Des, so make sure you cook 'em long and slow if you haven't built up a fairly high heat tolerance. To put it in context, I'd usually use four finger chillies in a curry or chilli, whereas I'll only use half a habanero.

And for the love of crimony, wear gloves when you're chopping them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Record yourself eating them and put it on youtube.

Seem to be the most popular usage for chillies now!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

longshanks wrote: »
    You've been to Aldi?

LOL, yes he had been :D

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Honey-ec wrote: »
    The last one looks too big and too smooth to be a Scotch Bonnet, imo.

First two are habaneros. Very hot, Des, so make sure you cook 'em long and slow if you haven't built up a fairly high heat tolerance. To put it in context, I'd usually use four finger chillies in a curry or chilli, whereas I'll only use half a habanero.

And for the love of crimony, wear gloves when you're chopping them!

it's not neccessary to wear gloves when chopping chillies,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just don't go wiping your eyes afterwards:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

sponge_bob wrote: »
    it's not neccessary to wear gloves when chopping chillies,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just don't go wiping your eyes afterwards:(

It really is, if you're going to be handling the membrane. Chop and deseed and couple of habaneros with your bare hands and then come back to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My hands tingle for a day or two after chopping chillis. I am extremely sensitive to the heat though :o.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I used lots of red chillis last week, washed my hands twice and about 4 hours later, touched my eye.

I will be wearing gloves from now on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

ElleEm wrote: »
    I used lots of red chillis last week, washed my hands twice and about 4 hours later, touched my eye.

I will be wearing gloves from now on :p

A couple of weeks ago I was making a kind of tandoori chicken and grated a couple of chillis into the mix. A couple of hours and handwashes later I was in the sauna and rubbed my face. Bad move.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Don't they give you a card in the packet you get in Aldi with the names on it?

I think they're from left to right: Fresno, habanero, don't know, scotch bonnet.

If there are any scotch bonnet fiends out there, they're dirt cheap in any African food shop. I used to get 10 for a euro.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Random chilli note: the heat is concentrated in the cream membrane that attaches the seeds to the inside of the chilli. (Which is why people say to remove the seeds to take the heat out - even though the seeds usually aren't particularly hot, but if you take them out you usually get most of the membrane too).

I chop chillis using a sharp knife and a little espress spoon with a thin edge - I half the chilli and use the sharp little spoon to scrape the seeds and membrane out. Doing this I can normally manage to chop a chilli without ever touching the interior of the flesh.

I quite like to make dip with chili without seeds but with the heat, and the spoon lets me take out the seeds and membrane and then I can separate them and return the membrane to the board for chopping and putting into the dip. (Usually with long chillis though like jalapenos or birds eyes etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I chop chillis using a sharp knife and a little espress spoon with a thin edge - I half the chilli and use the sharp little spoon to scrape the seeds and membrane out. Doing this I can normally manage to chop a chilli without ever touching the interior of the flesh.

I quite like to make dip with chili without seeds but with the heat, and the spoon lets me take out the seeds and membrane and then I can separate them and return the membrane to the board for chopping and putting into the dip. (Usually with long chillis though like jalapenos or birds eyes etc.)

This is how i do it, except i only touch the outside when chopping

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »

This is how i do it, except i only touch the outside when chopping

Must try that. When using scotch bonnets though I always wear gloves, it's too dangerous not to.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement