Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation Clinics (Weight Management)

Options
  • 19-02-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,
    Ive been thinking about trying to lose weight lately... I wont bore you about why I wanna lose it etc.

I'm just curious to know what to expect at a Weight Motovation Clinic.
    Have you or anyone you know been?
    How much is it? How does it work? Are they really a sucess?

Any info would be very welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Motivation is based on a belief that all overeating is caused by underlying psychological issues, and by working on these issues you can tackle your overeating.

They also include a VLCD (very-low calorie diet) which means that you drop weight very quickly.

You will lose weight very quickly due to the diet, and you go in regularly and have a nice chat to someone about your worries and your childhood. So they make you feel good about yourself and the weight is stripping off you. Result!

Your main concern is what happens afterwards. Most people will not continue attending the clinic after the initial 12 (?) weeks. So you leave the clinic and switch to a normal diet after having been on a strict prescribed diet for a number of months. Unless you're used to controlling your diet yourself, this is very difficult. They do give you information, but information isn't really enough if you don't understand it.
    On top of that, your support structure is removed. So you may be confused and have difficulty managing your diet, but you have no-one to talk to.

I've never done it, and I'm not saying it doesn't work. But I can't see any real benefit above a normal diet. While it's certainly true for many people that they eat due to underlying issues, many others don't. So counselling is of little use and Motivation becomes a very expensive fad diet.

I know someone who has done similar things (I don't think it was motivation) - ridiculously low-calorie diet, counselling, etc. Lost ridiculous amounts of weight, size 24 down to 14 in about 9 months. Went so far as to have surgery to get excess skin removed.

Once she stopped attending the sessions, she lost control of her diet and 4 years later she's now 2 stone heavier than she was originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

HI OP

I started with the motivation clinic over 2 years ago and i did 2 sessions of 12 weeks with them, so 6 months in total. The first thing ill say is that its expensive, i cant remember exacts but it aint cheap, but at the time i didnt care, i would have paid anything, and at the time i needed someone to be accountable to on a weekly basis.

I dont think you need a big long winded post but here are my basics from my 6 months there

1, I did lose weight
    2, the diet wasnt too bad and very manageable
    3, the weekly check in was invaluable to me
    4, Some of the self help books/cd's you get are a bit.....out there:)
    5, i learned a lot about how are bodies process food and how differant foods effect our brains.
    6, after i joined a gym and started seeking more knowledge i outgrew motivation clinic very quickly.
    7, as of today motivation clinic is one of the best things ive ever done, I'm now firmly on my way to single digit BF% and i have clearly defined goals for myself, all using stuff that i started learning in motivation clinic!!

To finish, if you can afford it and you think you need a weekly kick up the arse to get you going then you could do a lot worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stevyb

Hello

I've used it and recently. Firstly it’s expensive, I think to join it was about 600 euros (off the top of my head). That gets you your first consultation / assessment and 20 weekly visits plus Folder full of things you fill out on a weekly basis, a book and CDs, lots of sample supplements. Then every week you need to buy supplements. There are 7 per box and you’ll need 3 boxes a week, so 45 euros a week. That’s the down side.

I recommend it if all else has failed, If you have a stone and a half to lose go to weight watchers, if you have 4 stone or more this is definitely an option. I lost three and a half stone and still went for a few drinks at the weekends. The better you kept it obviously the better or faster you’ll lose the weight, but it’s not one of these diets that turns you into a food Nazi.

The meetings are helpful, they help you identify patterns in your behavior and moods that lead to over eating and help you break them. There not really about going into your childhood and there always positive even if you hadn’t a good week.

The diet itself is restrictive but balanced, but they encourage you to not go more than 4 hours without eating something, so you’ll be hungry for a day or 2 but after that hunger shouldn’t be an issue. Most of the supplements are nice but you may have to experiment a bit to find your favorites.

As regards going off the supplements and meetings. They wean off the supplements and build up on your balanced diet and you can always space out you meetings as far apart as you like. I’m going once a month now.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision. Unlike the other poster I’ve done the diet and I’m not speculating about what I think it’s about or tell you horror stories about friends putting back on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Been through it myself a few years ago,it cost a fair few bobs but I had to get myself sorted.I benifited from the first 20 weeks and then jumped ship and went solo.I could not buy into the mental side of things.The long and the short is eat less carbs(potatoes,bread and beer are the enemy) and eat more protein(fish and chicken are great buddies),stay clear of the fats,dont cut out dairy completly,drink more water and exercise more.I'm sure a nutritionist or other professional could provide this advice for half the cost.Check out the link below for the protein bars and also use the over the counter protein shakes,alot cheaper than the bars.
    If you are worried about not sticking to a weekly weigh in then swallow your pride and agree to be weighed in front of your partner or friend or family member same bat time same bat channel every week.Definitely keep a food diary and right everything down.Other than that you can make the cheque out to batman gotham city.

http://www.avidlite.co.uk/acatalog/Avidlite-DietiMeal-mrp-Bars--Box-of-7-ALK125Y.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Can someone tell me the cost for a month, and what you get? Number of sessions, extras/products etc...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Quiet

Hanley if you find out please let me know thanks

Advertisement