Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seville Marathon

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Anyone done this previously? Can you remember if you were sent an info email in advance? Trying to find out information regards the expo etc and it is not very clear. Just trying to check in advance as I don't arrive until the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Anyone done this previously? Can you remember if you were sent an info email in advance? Trying to find out information regards the expo etc and it is not very clear. Just trying to check in advance as I don't arrive until the Saturday.

From the FAQ

WHERE AND WHEN ARE THE BIBS AND THE GOODY BAGS TO BE COLLECTED?
    Bibs and goody bags will only be handed out in the runners exhibition MARATHON EXPO (FIBES, Avda. Alcalde Luis Uruñuela, 1, 41020 Seville), on Friday 19 and Saturday 20 February 2016, between 10:00 and 20:30 (uninterrupted). Access is free for runners and accompanying persons.

This is not where the start but is quite close to the Airport so get a taxi when you land and do the expo first.

ger664 wrote: »
    From the FAQ

WHERE AND WHEN ARE THE BIBS AND THE GOODY BAGS TO BE COLLECTED?
    Bibs and goody bags will only be handed out in the runners exhibition MARATHON EXPO (FIBES, Avda. Alcalde Luis Uruñuela, 1, 41020 Seville), on Friday 19 and Saturday 20 February 2016, between 10:00 and 20:30 (uninterrupted). Access is free for runners and accompanying persons.

This is not where the start but is quite close to the Airport so get a taxi when you land and do the expo first.

thanks, don't know how I missed that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

What are you targeting TRR?

El Caballo wrote: »
    What are you targeting TRR?

in or around 2hrs 40 mins all going well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

in or around 2hrs 40 mins all going well

i'd be delighted to come in an exact hour after you....#whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

They are putting a lot of posts on FB about this. I got an email. If you dont have it i can copy paste. Def taxi from airport. From Expo you can take buses to wherever you are going... Best of luck!

UPDATE

Some Frequently Asked Questions one month before the Marathon

The Zurich Seville City Marathon 2017 will be held in Seville City on 19 February 2017 at 8:30 am. The start of the race will be in Avenida de Carlos III, in the vicinity of La Cartuja Stadium. The maximum time to complete the marathon is 6 hours, so the finishing line will be closed at 14.30.

Bibs and goody bags will only be handed out in the runners exhibition MARATHON EXPO (FIBES, Avda. Alcalde Luis Uruñuela, 1, 41020 Seville), on Friday 17 and Saturday 18 February 2017, between 10:00 and 20:00 (uninterrupted). Access is free for runners and accompanying persons.

To collect their bibs, runners will have to show their registration receipt/copy of the registration and their Identity Card/Passport or other document that identifies them.

To collect a runner's goody bag, the runner must show his or her bib. If a runner cannot collect his or her bib, it may be collected by another person provided that they have the registration receipt or a copy of the registration and a photocopy of the runner's Identity Card and an authorisation signed by that runner.

No bibs or goody bags will be handed out on the day of the race.

The chip of the 33rd Zurich Seville City Marathon will be a bib-chip, i.e. the bib comes with the chip already placed on its back. The chip must not be returned at the end of the race.

The Organisation will provide a baggage/cloakroom service. It will be located inside La Cartuja Stadium (Gate N) close to the North Tunnel.

The Organisation will make available portable toilets. They will be located in the start and finish areas and at different points along the course (km 5, 10, 15, half-marathon, 25, 30, 35 and 40).

There will be starting boxes for ELITE times, sub 2.45h, sub 3h, sub 3.15h, sub 3.30h, sub 3.45h, sub 4h and over 4h.

There will be pacemakers for the following times: 2.45h, 3h, 3.15h, 3.30h, 3.45h, 4h, 4.30h and 5h. They will be at the front of the corresponding boxes depending the time to achieve and they will be identified with a balloon and a customised t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck to those going to wonderful city. If you have time on Monday definitely book the turkish baths. Your legs/body will thank you no end

Turkish Baths. Its hard to find so you may need to get a taxi to them.

Also those looking for some italian carb loading the night before.

Book this place NOW!!!

http://www.ocagiuliva.es/index.php?lang=es

If I recall TBL put on 3 stone the night before in here and had to pull out after 16 miles

Ger, I booked that Italian.....

Whats the story in relation to the finish and meeting family afterward? I wont be bringing my phone.

Is there a meeting point outside the stadium?

Dont think my answer came out previously

Did you see this?
    https://issuu.com/maratonsevila/docs/gu__a_3_idiomas_maraton_sevilla_201

As well go to Zurich Maraton de Sevilla on FB and the info is in english too.

You arrive to an stadium and everyone can watch. I believe you run around the track so plenty of time for your family to spot you. They can come down to the track, and meet you there. I think and I guess!

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Start time is at 8.30 now... according to their FB page. Better! 30 mins less of heat ;0)))) Apparently rain is coming.;0S

and pretty much done! feeling the odd niggle here and there, but hopefully getting to the start line in decent shape. I've probably run my longer runs a little quicker than optimum (between 5.15 and 5.30), but as its my first, I'm allowed make mistakes :cool::cool:

2q8yij7.jpg

going to target sub 3.40 with a plan B of 3.45 and Plan C of JFF (just f**king finish).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to all running on Sunday.
    It's a fantastic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Good look to all doing this. I was in Seville in the autumn and ran most days. Figured it would be a great spot for a marathon, lovely city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

2.38.06 for TRR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Nice. He said, 'in and around 2.40' so I'm guessing he'll be happy!

Itziger wrote: »
    Nice. He said, 'in and around 2.40' so I'm guessing he'll be happy!

I am thanks! A great marathon, I'd definitely recommend it. Nothing negative to say about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I am thanks! A great marathon, I'd definitely recommend it. Nothing negative to say about it!

Well done chief

Will we get a report on it?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Congrats on a Fantastic time!!

It was brilliant. Organisation amazing. A bit hot in the end for me which killed my PB but only for 2 mins.. but I take a lot longer! Very happy!! Well done TRR! And everyone else who did it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice running Dave

Came in at 3.36:18, will write a race report later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Came in at 3.36:18, will write a race report later.

Super debut, JF. Box ticked or will you do another? ;)

Race report and some tips on Seville as a marathon!
    Finished in 3.36:18

So this was my first marathon, probably not my last (to answer your question Denis).

I started running properly about 12 months ago, I trained for the Glendalough adventure race and followed on from that with a half marathon in July in Killarney. The plan was to do a marathon before I was 40, so I decided it would be easiest to train over the winter (golfer) and I might get a weekend out of it! So with the help of my neighbour, I got an 18 week plan together. It went pretty well, had the odd niggle and was probably running a little too fast on the longer runs, missed about 4/5 runs out of the whole thing, so beforehand I was happy enough.

Taper:
    This is bollox. Its a horrible time really, I started feeling all sorts of niggles, my neck was sore, I couldnt sleep well, I rang the doorbell in my office about 2 weeks ago and my back spasmed. WTF was going on? Thankfully, this was all normal apparently and to be fair about 3 days beforehand, there was no pains anywhere, bar a thuddy knee. My neighbours advice was if you werent limping, you were grand!

So onto Seville. Woke at 2.39am on the Friday night for a 5am taxi and 7am flight. Delightful. 4 hours kip on the night before the night before. Arrived in Seville, taxi driver charged us E24 for a 6 minute taxi ride to FIBES, where we picked up the number/goody bag. That was chocker so got out of there fast and into the city. Had booked L'Oca Guiliani, as per Ger's recommendation, and had a lovely meal. Got to bed around 11.30 and prayed for a good nights sleep. Woke at 5.30am and was delighted, total score, more sleep than I had had all week. Got some really terrible greek yoghurt with my aldi muesli (cant do porridge) and stuffed it down with some toast and coffee. Out the door onto the street to find a taxi. Unfortunately, 14000 other people had the same idea, so zero taxis. Started walking with these Portugese lads and about 15 minutes later totally struck gold, finding a cab. Glad we did, because it was a horrible long walk (id say 4-5k) and lots had to do it.

Got to my 3.30 - 3.45 pen and stuck on some Godspeed you Black Emperor on the headphones, get charged up like. This was it, lets do this.

Off we go and theres loads of dudes out here, its packed! watched my step very carefully, started nice and slowly with a 25:40 first 5km, first gel at 8km and we're through 10km in 51.14. Right on schedule. Felt fine, nice pace. Bar having to pee (sorry) at km 17, every single km, I did between km 1 and km 37 were between 5.00 and 5.10. At halfway (1.48:48), it was more of the same, felt decent, was making sure I was taking water on at every stop (which becomes a right pain in the hole). Couple of long stretches of boring running between km 22 and 32, so stuck on the headphones intermittantly, worked a charm, I was still hitting those even paces. So over 30km (2.34:17) and im feeling the calves tighten a bit, but still knocking off the kms at the right pace. Back into the city and it becomes narrow in places, annoyingly having to slow down a bit at times and threw in a 5.21 at km 37. Followed some guy with a red top and he was moving. I had always planned to pull the trigger if I felt anyway able at the end and put in the fastest 4 km's for the last 4km. Was really feeling it in the last km, but pushed on, down the tunnel and onto the track into the stadium and left it all out there.

Across the finish line, started heaving and was a little emotional, I genuinely had put alot into this and it was done.

Looking back on it, I was probably a little conservative as it was my first and I was delighted to finish, but felt I left a bit out there (im a golfer, remember?). My pacing was scarily even and I even ended up running a negative split which was nice. I passed a thousand runners after the half way point (ended up being 3,800th odd, after being 4,800th at halfway), which goes to show that lots of people ran way too fast too early.

Big thanks to Murph_D for all his sage advice the whole way through, it was a great help. This whole boards community are a fantastic resource!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great going JF. A negative split on your first marathon! Fastest 4 kms were your last 4? You're a natural at this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Singer wrote: »
    Great going JF. A negative split on your first marathon! Fastest 4 kms were your last 4? You're a natural at this :)

+1, you made that sound easy... congrats and well done, great debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Big thanks to Murph_D for all his sage advice the whole way through, it was a great help. This whole boards community are a fantastic resource!

You didn't take my advice about losing the headphones anyway! :pac:

Never mind, very impressive execution and time. There's a lot of emphasis here on boards on just getting around and enjoying your first marathon, and while that is good advice for many, I think your performance is a great example of the alternative: if you're fit, healthy, and have shown some potential in shorter races, why not target a more ambitious time and see what happens. Your plan was essentially Hal Higdon Novice 2 so nothing too fancy required either!

You'll probably knock a good bit off that time next time around too, based on your second half performance. And yes, big negative split: great stuff.

Murph_D wrote: »
    You didn't take my advice about losing the headphones anyway! :pac:

Never mind, very impressive execution and time. There's a lot of emphasis here on boards on just getting around and enjoying your first marathon, and while that is good advice for many, I think your performance is a great example of the alternative: if you're fit, healthy, and have shown some potential in shorter races, why not target a more ambitious time and see what happens. Your plan was essentially Hal Higdon Novice 2 so nothing too fancy required either!

You'll probably knock a good bit off that time next time around too, based on your second half performance. And yes, big negative split: great stuff.

Headphones were great to have at that point when it got boring, I was singing away to myself. The plan was pretty much the HH Intermediate 1. Heres my second half splits.... 246nmlu.jpg

Advertisement