Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truma heater - question for Aidan

• 20-02-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

hi Aidan,

I notice in the other thread you mentioned you repaired Truma heaters, but i didn't want to hijack the thread so i'm starting this new one.

I have a 1990 vw t25 with a Truma heating system that has never worked since we bought it over 3years ago. We never really needed the heating as we only used the van during summer, but I'm now planning to extend our season and I would like to get the heating system working if I can.

The power to the heating system controls appear to be dead. There's a 3.15A 20mm fuse on a circuit board which is some sort of controller board. This fuse is blown. It continues to blow when I replace it and it seems to be the programmable timer unit that is blowing the fuse. When i disconnect the connector on the back of the timer unit i can power up the board and the fuse doesn't blow and the led on the main on/off panel will now light up and i can hear a fan engage if i turn it on.

The timer is identical to the unit in the photograph in the thread here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=454444&start=0

In fact both controls in the picture are identical to my van, so i'm hoping these are not rare systems.

The markings on the rear of the timer unit are

Hella 8EU 005 579-06
    Made in W. germany

Would you have a replacement unit I could purchase off you or would you know where i could get one? I'm struggling to find any information about it.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

you never really see them fitted with timers... tbh , I'd disconnect that and just run it off the Stat . what model Truma is it? Blow heater only? like say an E2400?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

thanks Aidan,

I finally got to expose the heater itself and its a Trumatic 1800 Heater.

When i switch on the stat the fan inside the heater runs and it seems to be trying to fire. There's plenty of air being blown into the van. Should this model have the fault light sequence you describe in the other thread? I can't see any lights on the heater itself or should i be looking at the controller board?

There is a 3 wire connector (red, brown, and red wires) running to the faulty timer from the controller. Do i just leave this disconnected or do i need to short any of them together to make a complete circuit? I assume the timer is closing a connection and shorting 2 of the wires to make something happen? Not sure what though.

If i can't get it going i'll drop it down to you to have a look at. As soon as i get it through its DOE and complete any work required.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

no , Truma didn't introduce the fault light til the new/current range of Combis . I would try running it with the Timer disconnected .

Advertisement