Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interrailing

• 20-02-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey,
    I am going interrailing in September for a month with one friend. No idea where we are going (yet). But hopefully ye could supply me with hints, tips and good old fashion advice. Also if anyone else will be travelling we would love to meet up with you if our paths cross.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Went a few years ago. Amsterdan, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Munich, Vienna, Zurich, Milan, Venice and Rome. In that order I think, in about 30 days or so. Got a night train in from poland because the trains there are quite slow.

If I was going again, I'd skip Rome I think becaus it was quite far away. I kinda rushed it and ended up with a week in Italy. I'd almost not go to Italy full stop, it was lovely, but I should have gone more easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

do u have any tips for two females traveling about? iv done a j1 to america and i learned a load from that but id love to hear any tips from someone who has already done it. when u were gettin ur trains did u reserve ur tickets before hand or did u just jump on. were there any trains that didnt take the interrail ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lydiac

I went interrailing with a group of girls 2 years ago went on a J1 last year.
    went Amsterdam, prague, krakow, berlin, budapest, lake bled (slovenia) and then pag island off croatia :)

what i learnt
    - sometimes you have to pay reservations for trains, never more than about fiver, check when you arrive in the train station and reserve for your next train. we used to travel at night where we could because we were saving money that would have been spent on acc and wasting a day sitting on a train.
    - dont plan to be cooking too much in hostels, because a lot of them don't have kitchens/great facilities. we always used to look ahead on google for hostels just to get idea's of good ones, but we only initially booked the hostel for the first place we stayed, as you may decide to spend less/more time in a place.
    - watch your spending, some places such a amsterdam very expensive could end up blowing budget.
    - taking out money i didnt have a problem with huge charges with my aib laser but ive heard stories of 10euro charges.

low down on where ive been::D
    amsterdam: expensive
    berlin: slightly cheaper than amsterdam, the generator is a GREAT hostel on landsberger alles. good pub crawl and day tours.
    Prague: cheap place, stayed in Prague plus, nice place had swimming pool. GREAT PUB CRAWLS, make sure to get to the 5 story nightclub amazing ;)
    Budapest: again cheap like prague, some good trendy clubs Morrisons, Dokk beach. make sure to check out the baths.
    Krakow: cheap place, great hostel the Giraffe :) make sure to check out austwisch
    Lake Bled: in slovenia, great place, filled with tourist if you dont know it google it well worth the trip. water sports and activites galoree.
    PAG: best hidden place ever, get a train to Zagreb in croatia and then a 1hr bus to PAG island, couldn't say enough good things about the place. cheap, nightclubs on the beach international acts preforming in these clubs throughout the summer such as Avicii, sweedish H M , tiesto :)

sorry long post but just wanted to fill you in with my knowledge, hope it helped :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lydiac

oh and sorry forgot to mention that there are some places you cant travel to, but not many you will find that information in your interrailing guide when you book your ticket

thanks so much for all the info, i will look up PAG island. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stephenmario

The biggest thing I can say is depending on where you are going it might work out cheaper not t have the pass. I would also say don't try to pack too much in because you end up rushing around.

I've been interrailling twice and my favourite country was Croatia, cheap and nice weather. you don't need to book accommodation for anywhere there really because every local that has a free apartment will be hanging around the train stations trying to let it. They're trustworthy even though it might seem a bit weird.

"because every local that has a free apartment will be hanging around the train stations trying to let it"

ya that sounds very weird lol but thanks for the heads up, peg island sounds very good and im researching how to get there ... thanks for all the help :)

Advertisement