Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Advice moving tank

Options
  • 20-02-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

so ive always wanted an aquarium and tuesday i take the big leap been reading up the past few days trying to get as much info as possible, no doubt in coming days/weeks i will plague ye lot on here:D but main question for know is best method of transporting tank with fish, im getting a 60l tank already established and has been for a few years so i need to transport it down the road about 90min drive, what is best method remove 50% water and leave fish in tank then refill with original water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd say you'll need to bag the fish and filter, and drain the tank. Remember that a litre of water weighs a kilo, so even if you half empty it that's 45kg, plus the weight of the tank itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

yeah id be taking the fish and the water out, but do transport as much of the water with you as you can. Also try not to let the filtration medium dry out during the transport, chuck it in one of your water containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I was actually on here about 3 months ago asking the same question, the way I did it was to get a few bags from the petshop (the one they give you when you buy your fish) gave it to me for nothing! then do as they do in the shop and bagged them up, 3 to a bag, and then kept my filter media in other bags with the tank water. I then pumped as much water into smaller containers as I could, I had a few of those containers they use for water coolers. I left a small bit of water in the bottom, just enough to cover the gravel, and then left the bags of fish and filter media in the tank. I had to carry the tank down 3 storeys and was nackered by the end of it, the tank still weiged a ton even when empty! and it was only a small bit bigger than yours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

thanks all for advice ill call into local aquatic store first and get some bags and try find some containers to take as much original water as possible, ill report back how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

just an update all moved and in place, got a large 25l water drum and filled it with original water then drained remainder to just above gravel, then bagged up fish in original water and transported, been set up now nearly 4 days and all is good will upload pic tomorrow:D thanks again for info and advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement