Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing infraction from Soccer forum

Options
  • 20-02-2012 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I was given an infraction for this post and the thread was locked. I asked why the thread was locked and the mod didn't give me an answer for that. That's for another day though, but just to make it clear that I have no idea why the thread was locked. The thread was even created before Dalglish embarrassed himself in an interview yet again (at old trafford), which was a massive talking point that weekend. It was clearly a valid talking point, and there was no point bringing it up in the Liverpool thread as most LFC fans are biased towards KK so healthy debate would no ensue IMO.

I was given an infraction for saying Dalglish comes across as a gimp. Now this type of post is covered in the soccer charter here.
    There is a misconception on soccer that calling someone a name is bannable. It isn't. Calling someone a name for the sake of abuse is bannable. We all like to use exclamations when we're making a passionate case, If someone said, "I think Delaney has acted like a dick for doing X, Y and Z", then personally I woudn't ban the person. If on the other hand they posted "Delaney is just a dick" I'd probably warn if not ban them.

The difference is, one case the poster is giving an opinion on the actions of Delaney, the other is outright namecalling. We have a place for one and not the other. In the same we say attack the post and not the poster for boards users, attack the actions and not the person for non-boards users.

Now how can he infract me for saying 'Dalglish comes across as a gimp in interviews' when the above is in the charter? It's a clear mistake.

When I first PMd the mod, he conveyed that it was a clear infraction and then tells me to 'stop acting the maggot in the forum'. I then sent him another PM once again explaining why it's not an infraction and I even gave him an example of a current soccer mod saying that there was 'an air of wanker off Ferguson' which is much harsher than saying someone comes across as a gimp in interviews. I also asked him to explain what he meant by posting that I was 'acting the maggot' in the forum and again, no response to that. It's my understanding that mods have the ability to infract posters for trolling, and I do not have one infraction in the soccer forum for trolling so how I could be acting the maggot is beyond me. My posting style has caused a few heads to roll but I think it's clear that I post what I think and not with the intention of winding people up. I felt aggrieved when he said 'stop acting the maggot' and more annoyed that I got no response on that accusation.

The mod then gets back to me and tells me he will discuss the infraction with the other mods. He then sends this to me
    Yeah, I talked it over with the current mods. I stand over the infraction. It was done in an tone and in a context which was excessive and not really required. With that, in light of your general posting style, makes me stand over the infraction.

Very unsatisfactory response that wreaked of him looking for anything possible to stand over the infraction. The 'tone' was not that bad at all. 'Acting the gimp' is tame in comparison to 'air of wanker' or 'acting the dick' (the example in the charter!) The fact of the matter is that I was infracted wrongly for abuse and it directly contradicts the forum charter.

I would like this overturned, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I then sent him another PM once again explaining why it's not an infraction and I even gave him an example of a current soccer mod saying that there was 'an air of wanker off Ferguson'

Can you link me this please? Initial search doesn't find it.

I have said this before but it's worth re-iterating: Posts in soccer fall under the radar. Here is an example of someone being carded for using "air of wanker" and the same person again not being carded for using the same phrase. That just means that the second instance either wasn't reported or wasn't seen by a mod. It's a busy forum and so that's to be expected. It's therefore not reasonable grounds for removal of an infraction to point to an equivalent post that hasn't been infracted. It's just not possible to infract every post that is worthy of an infraction in that forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Khannie wrote: »
    Can you link me this please? Initial search doesn't find it.

I have said this before but it's worth re-iterating: Posts in soccer fall under the radar. Here is an example of someone being carded for using "air of wanker" and the same person again not being carded for using the same phrase. That just means that the second instance either wasn't reported or wasn't seen by a mod. It's a busy forum and so that's to be expected. It's therefore not reasonable grounds for removal of an infraction to point to an equivalent post that hasn't been infracted. It's just not possible to infract every post that is worthy of an infraction in that forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69628069&postcount=54

Im not calling for that post to be infracted, im really not now because although it has been before, I dont think it's worthy of one IMO and its old anyway.

It's not entirely relevant to my case anyway, it was an extreme example. I could honestly list out tons of posts that say things like ''he comes across as a dick/idiot/etc. because...'' and no infraction. Why would there be infractions given for it when it says your allowed do it in the charter?

Saying Dalglish comes across as a gimp in his interviews is tame by any standards TBH, I could have put it in a more inflammable way but didn't.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for that.

Ok...I'm upholding the yellow. Yellows (rightly) get handed out for very little in the soccer forum. For the mods in there they are a useful way to help keep track of potential trouble. God knows they need all the help they can get. That thread to me looked like it was either started to deliberately rub Liverpool fans up the wrong way or started knowing that it would rub Liverpool fans up the wrong way. While the post you linked wasn't the finest example of posting in the world, I don't think United fans would be overly upset about it ("bottom line, the man is a legend"). I don't think the same applies to your post.

Advertisement