Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I add another router to my internet?

• 20-02-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I currently live in a bungalow and my Eircom-supplied Zyxel router is at one end of the house. This means my bedroom at the other end receives a slow connection. I was wondering could I buy another router from my local computer shop and place it in a room (or the attic) at the very center of the house so that the rooms up this end could get a good signal? BTW please be as noob friendly in your answers as possible as I'm not very familiar with technical jargon :o. btw I cant move the other router to the center of the house because I need the connection to my xbox up that end to be wired, so it must be close to it.

P.S if this is all possible what would be my best way of going about it? Should I call Eircom to send out a technician? can/should i buy the router from Eircom or my local computer shop?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You'd be better off getting a pair of "homeplugs". You plug the eircom router into one of them, and you put the other one next to your laptop/PC. You can get a wireless point or a normal point.

Picture of homeplug (from another thread)
    97621.JPG

Basic pair: http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEN150186

Not-so-basic pair: http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEN150258

The advantage about the not-so-basic pair is the one you don't plug into the router is wireless, so can be placed near your laptop, and your laptop can connect to it wirelessly. It also has ports if you wish to connect it to the PC, and is faster than the basic one.

They can be placed anywhere in the house, and will work very well once the electrics in the house are anywhere in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

the_syco wrote: »
    You'd be better off getting a pair of "homeplugs". You plug the eircom router into one of them, and you put the other one next to your laptop/PC. You can get a wireless point or a normal point.

Picture of homeplug (from another thread)

Basic pair: http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEN150186

Not-so-basic pair: http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEN150258

The advantage about the not-so-basic pair is the one you don't plug into the router is wireless, so can be placed near your laptop, and your laptop can connect to it wirelessly. It also has ports if you wish to connect it to the PC, and is faster than the basic one.

They can be placed anywhere in the house, and will work very well once the electrics in the house are anywhere in the house.

Thanks, but I'm unclear on how they work. how does the signal travel from the router to the homeplug in my room? Can I connect my laptop to the homeplug wirelessly? Can I connect to my homeplug with an ethernet cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

fusuf wrote: »
    Thanks, but I'm unclear on how they work. how does the signal travel from the router to the homeplug in my room? Can I connect my laptop to the homeplug wirelessly? Can I connect to my homeplug with an ethernet cable?

Yes essentially they use the wiring in your home as a network.

If you get a wireless homeplug then you can connect wirelessly...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

bealtine wrote: »
    Yes essentially they use the wiring in your home as a network.

If you get a wireless homeplug then you can connect wirelessly...
    Wow I didn't know they could send data through the electrical wiring in my house. I think I'll go for the wireless ones, it's a pity they're so damn expensive!

Advertisement