Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Netopia modem

Options
  • 20-02-2012 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I have a Netopia 2247NWG modem and I've been trying to change the DNS settings on it. But when I log into the modem and click 'configure' I immediately lose my internet connection. The same thing happens when I click on the 'statistics' link. I have changed the DNS settings before so I know this didn't always happen. I have tried restarting and resetting the modem but this isn't making a difference. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

MollyZ wrote: »
    I have a Netopia 2247NWG modem and I've been trying to change the DNS settings on it. But when I log into the modem and click 'configure' I immediately lose my internet connection. The same thing happens when I click on the 'statistics' link. I have changed the DNS settings before so I know this didn't always happen. I have tried restarting and resetting the modem but this isn't making a difference. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

Hi MollyZ,

Thanks for your post.

Try connecting your computer to the modem with your Ethernet cable first. This will rule out if you're having a local wireless signal issue.

If you're still experiencing intermittent connections after this, then please take a look at our Broadband Checklist, below :

Broadband Check

If you need to log into the web interface on the Netopia modem, please see our Support site :

www.eircom.net/tutorials - Find the Security Key, etc.

Let me know if this helps.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Hi Ant,

Thanks for the reply. I have the ethernet cable connected and it's not making any difference-I still can't get to the page where I can change the DNS settings.

I can log into the web interface without any problems, it's just when I go to expert mode>configure or expert mode>statistics, the internet connection drops immediately but it does come back shortly afterwards - so I don't think it's a connection problem. I think what actually happens is that the modem restarts itself every time I click either of these links. I can get to the statistics through basic mode>troubleshoot>statistics and I have looked at the connection log there which seems to confirm that the modem is rebooting whenever I click these links - ie last reboot is only a few minutes earlier if that makes sense. This makes me think that the problem might be with the modem rather than with the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

MollyZ wrote: »
    Hi Ant,

Thanks for the reply. I have the ethernet cable connected and it's not making any difference-I still can't get to the page where I can change the DNS settings.

I can log into the web interface without any problems, it's just when I go to expert mode>configure or expert mode>statistics, the internet connection drops immediately but it does come back shortly afterwards - so I don't think it's a connection problem. I think what actually happens is that the modem restarts itself every time I click either of these links. I can get to the statistics through basic mode>troubleshoot>statistics and I have looked at the connection log there which seems to confirm that the modem is rebooting whenever I click these links - ie last reboot is only a few minutes earlier if that makes sense. This makes me think that the problem might be with the modem rather than with the connection.

Hi MollyZ,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.ie

IIt sounds like you're stil experiencing intermittent connections. If you have not yet tried the broadband checks advised, please do so before you might need to call into eircom Technical Support.

Broadband Check

Remember to Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test your connection again.

If you need to call into Technical Support, ensure that you have your modem connected as advised above, as they may need to do some quick checks while you are on the phone.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

I would also advise possibly hard resetting the modem, but only after you have tested your modem as advised on the broadband check above.

Before you hard reset your modem, please save your personal settings first; for e.g : your wireless key, or your personal NAT settings, etc. If you are unsure about this, please call into Broadband Support (below) :

Reset the modem:
    • Keep the power on the modem
    • Locate the reset hole (usually on the back of the modem, beside the power on /off switch)
    • Push a pin /or paperclip, into the reset hole and hold this for around 7 to 10 seconds
    • Release the pin from the pin hole
    • Wait for a few minutes for the lights on the modem to go steady.
    In the case of the newer Zyxel router all the lights may flash or momentarily go out /or power light may turn red. Simlarly, the lights on the Netopia modem may flash for a few minutes.

Lights on the modem:
    • Power : Green - Solid
    • LAN /Ethernet : Green - may Flash when traffic is going through modem
    • Wireless /Wifi - Green - may Flash when traffic is going through modem
    • DSL - Green - Solid
    • Internet - Green - may Flash when traffic is going through modem

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).
    Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement