Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for new laptop please.

Options
  • 20-02-2012 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Complete dope when it comes to computers.
    I want to stream golf and connect it to t.v. Very little other use for computer. Want to pay as little as possible. Think I know I need something with a HDMI connection. Currently have an old desktop , streaming perefectly, but in differant room from T.v. ( COLD), and without sound ( an advantage sometimes ,I know) Have broadband and wireless router. Break out in a sweat when I talk with these guys in computer shops who tell me I need a powerful processor . Whats the bottom line on this ..... ? How much and where ? Probably dont need to be told to buy a sound card and run cable. Still have my communion money, so can buy new. galway based.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Ever thought of a little home theater PC? Dual core Atom processor paired with nVidia Ion graphics will do.

Probably cheaper than a laptop (komplett.ie is selling some Asrock HTPC for €369) and easy on the ESB bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 terry0

Nice one, Torqay. Will look at that. Thanks. T.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 terry0

Decieded against home theatre job, laptop allows more flexability.
    Saw an Acer 17.3" on Komplett for e417.; or in P.C. World a H.P G6 15.6" for E439 and on P.C. World a Toshiba c660 15.6" for E469.
    Any guidance lads and lassies ??:confused:

I would highly recommend you go closer or maybe above the €500 mark, as most laptops under that price range tend to have some very slow AMD processors in them. A laptop with an i3 processor will generally be much much quicker, in fact, here's a Intel core i3 Toshiba for 469.99 here.

My personal recommendation would be this, a Lenovo for €490 with an Intel Core i3 processor and metal chassis, I reckon it's a great buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Since TV connectitivity seems to be of importance, you should look for HDMI out.

The Acer does have HDMI out and discrete Radeon HD graphics. The AMD Fusion CPU isn't exactly a powerhouse though.

HD video playback is no challenge for the Core i3/Intel HD 3000 combo but VGA only is a drawback if you want to hook it up to the big screen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement