Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom socket wiring

Options
  • 20-02-2012 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

firstly get violin out i only have crappy one meg line.

been mad to get an upgrade for a while but was told that my line can only support 1meg. Sooooo one day in passing conversation with eircom engineer i was told that often its the lines in the house and socket that can be problem. He gave me wall socket (new) to hook up and said that depending on what i already had in house this may make a difference.

So question is this i removed my old socket from wall and saw two wires blue with and white blue hooked up to L1 and L2 connectors. the old socket was telecom eireann. anyone in the know as to if this old wiring 20 plus years old is my issue?? as well as the 2 wires there were alot more not hooked up

I want to hook new socket but seems slightly complex for a person who can just about wire a plug :) while it may and may not help my speed i just want to know that this two wire system is preventing faster speeds in general?

Yes yes i already foresee "why don't you just hook it up and find out" and i will just gotta figure out what i am doing first :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The unused wires are for additional lines - a single phone line is just two cables. Disconnect from old socket and reconnect to corresponding pins on new socket. If you Do a search as there are previous threads asking similar questions where people have replied posting diagrams and instructions on wiring Eircom boxes.

Be careful if you are fiddling though, you can get a fair belt if you're touching the cables and someone tries to ring - not dangerous but enough to force out some strong language :D

It possibly won't help your speed, worth a try though. That 20 year old wiring is all you got between you and the exchange, you'll want as good a quality termination at the socket as possible.

Advertisement