Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time : Expansion of The Universe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

gkell3 wrote: »
    Now there will be a time when ex-empiricists will clean up their own side of things and they will do so because they will come to their senses.

This is because of the fact that a 24 hour day and one rotation produces all the effects you will experience today,it will do so tomorrow,the day after that and there is no day they will fall out of step so that the 24 hours of May 10th 2012 as one rotation will turn into the next 24 hours and one rotation of May 11th 2012 and all the other days and rotations to follow.

You must fight your way out of that fog which is creating an imbalance between days and rotations by interpreting what your own body is doing in experiencing the effects of rotation.However hard it may be initially,the struggle to take notice of your surroundings will eventually catch up with you and you will see things in a new way,that much I can promise you.
    Again, nothing in this post addressing anything I said.
    Now you are telling me to also ignore what I experience. And you are trying to create more fog by ignoring the questions I'm asking.

So one last chance gkell, answer the questions or explain why you are dodging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gkell3

King Mob wrote: »
    Again, nothing in this post addressing anything I said.
    Now you are telling me to also ignore what I experience. And you are trying to create more fog by ignoring the questions I'm asking.

Don't worry if you lose the fight today,there is always a chance that empirical fog will clear when you catch a glimpse of the basic cause and effect we all experience.

Try the 3 day rule - the Earth turned once yesterday,once today and will turn once tomorrow,when you wake up tomorrow keep the same thing perspective of one rotation yesterday,today and tomorrow and eventually you will find it so comfortable to determine that one rotation keeps in tandem with a 24 hour day that you won't be able to imagine differently.Then and only then can you keep the company of astronomers.

There are many,many challenges out there,one of them should not be explaining that the Earth turns once in a day and 365 times in 365 days.

Don't worry if you lose the fight today,there is always a chance that empirical fog will clear when you catch a glimpse of the basic cause and effect we all experience.
    Then help it to clear. Outline what your theory actually is. Answer the questions we're blue in the face asking you.
    Cause right now it looks like not only are you not willing to discuss anything but also that you're willing to act dishonestly to spout your own dogma.
    Either that or you're not sharp enough to catch the irony.

So I'm willing to listen to your claims and am asking you to outline them and clearify stuff. You are the one spreading the fog here.

So again:

How long does it take Dubhe to complete one circumpolar circle? What causes Dubhe to complete one circumpolar circle?

What is the speed of light in a vacuum?
    Try the 3 day rule - the Earth turned once yesterday,once today and will turn once tomorrow,when you wake up tomorrow keep the same thing perspective of one rotation yesterday,today and tomorrow and eventually you will find it so comfortable to determine that one rotation keeps in tandem with a 24 hour day that you won't be able to imagine differently.Then and only then can you keep the company of astronomers.

There are many,many challenges out there,one of them should not be explaining that the Earth turns once in a day and 365 times in 365 days.
    You keep rattling this off but we've tried to explain it to you.
    It does not take exactly 24 hours for the earth to turn a full 360 degrees.
    It is not exactly 24 hours between each sunset or each sunrise.
    The earth does not turn the full 360 degrees exactly at the time of the sunrise or sunset.
    Solar noons do not occur exactly 24 hours apart, nor do they occur after exactly 360 degrees of a turn.

The only thing that does occur with each rotation is the movement of the stars, which tells us the exact motion of the rotation of the Earth, which occurs once just under 24 hours.

Your problem is that you don't understand these basic, observable facts.

Your problem is that you don't understand these basic, observable facts.

Take as long as you need,count as many days forward or backward to any event and you will discover the equivalent amount of rotations of the Earth and if eventually you take special notice of February 29th as another day,24 hours and as the 1461st rotation in 1461 days/4 years you will find yourself in a better place.

The human mind is not capable of maintaining an imbalance between days and rotations no more than it can support a creationist view.It is astonishing that the central fact that a 24 hour day and one rotation is challenged as a principle insofar as it literally represents a rebellion against the experiences of the human body and the mind contained in it.Act as though your life depended on it ,when you do discover that the Earth turns once in a day you are home free and a different type of astronomy will open up to enjoy and develop.

Stay with a 1465 rotation/1461 day imbalance and the curtain comes down on your experiences and the ability of your intelligence to interpret them properly,a sullen,narrowminded entity that hijacks the imagination and sends the mind in directions no person should go.Remember that the central theme of this topic is the most fundamental experience and cause/effect of all so I do appreciate your courage in maintaining the topic front and center in the face of pandemic cowardice as it is just one of those things which require a straight answer to a basic question - does the Earth turns once in 24 hours and keep in step day after day ?.

Stay with a 1465 rotation/1461 day imbalance and the curtain comes down on your experiences and your intelligence,a sullen,narrowminded entity that hijacks the imagination and sends the mind in directions no person should go.
    Yea, it's pointless to try anymore.

Your the one who is narrowminded and confused, and even after me all but begging you to outline your position and answer questions, you're abjectly dishonest. Pretty much all the things you accuse your imaginary conspiracy of being.

Anything I post is just an excuse for you to vomit out more of your inane dogma, so this will be my last.

• Advertisement

Yea, it's pointless to try anymore.

Your the one who is narrowminded and confused, and even after me all but begging you to outline your position and answer questions, you're abjectly dishonest. Pretty much all the things you accuse your imaginary conspiracy of being.

Anything I post is just an excuse for you to vomit out more of your inane dogma, so this will be my last.

Stick with it,don't mind me ,anyone else or anything you read or heard before,it is just the experiences of your body and how your own intelligence interprets the daily cycle and all the experiences in it.

It is easier to use the 3 day rule which bounds one rotation and 24 hour day to today and bookend it with one rotation yesterday and one rotation tomorrow thereby leapfrogging by one rotation/24 hour day always maintains the connection between one previous one with the current one and on to the next one.All this is really unneeded as you already know it yourself but indoctrinated reasoning has such a grip that it is hard to let go.But let go you eventually will.

You will see how much it is worth the effort for you will discover astronomy as it really is but that requires a point of departure with a stable narrative and a clear understanding of the most primary cause and effect of all.It is not an act of submission,it is simply getting rid of conceptual junk that you don't need and that you can look back on as disruptive.

As for circumpolar motion,it is based on the average 24 hour day within the 365/366 day format and the watchmakers used to calibrate their watches for accuracy using that observation,it is great for affirming constant axial alignment of the Earth in its orbital circuit however the average 24 hour day is based on the Lat/Long system which refers the motions of the Earth to the AM/PM cycles as a 1461 rotation/4 orbital circuit proportion.You will come to understand all this later but it is not going to happen until you keep the 1461 rotations in step with the 1461 days corresponding to 4 orbital circuits of the Earth.

Tomorrow is April 10th and the Earth will turn once as it did today and it will continue that way for as long as you live.One rotation in step with 24 hours is a make or break observation and conclusion which makes astronomy possible or impossible,even if you lose the fight today,it will still be here tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Wh1stler

The Earth and the Sun are not connected or "meshed" together like two cogs, there is no friction in space and they are independent bodies. The Earth is spinning at 366.25 revs per year and if the Sun disappeared it would continue to spin at this rate, it doesn't magically loose one rotation just because it is circling around another object.

I don't see the problem with using a 'cog' analogy and I am not disputing the number of stellar days per solar year.

And on the last point, the number solar days is equal to the number of stellar days minus one which is entirely due to the fact the earth is circling the sun.

And in the moon's case, the number of stellar days is one and the fact it is orbiting earth results in a noon to noon cycle, with respect to earth, of zero - which is equal to stellar days minus one.

But it isn't magic though.
    If you started a satellite spinning at a set rate and then put it into orbit around something without changing the rpm, do you think it somehow looses one rotation just because it is now circling around something?

No, but from the persective of the object being orbited, the orbiting object will appear to rotate at a rate equal to its number of stellar days minus one.

In the case of retrograde motion then the apparent rate would 'magically' increase by one, of course.
    Get rid of the image of gravity as "a string" holding two things together, instead think of an independently spinning body frictionlessly moving around a "dent" in space caused by a bigger (heavier) object.

But in the case of tidal locking, the image of gravity as a string is fitting.

It seems okay to think of the tidal bulge of the moon as being an anchor point.
    Tidal locking is not two things "glued" together by gravity, it is when a bodies rotation has been slowed till it rotates only once per orbit.
    As has been explained this is because at one rotation per orbit no more tides are raised, consequently the slowing stops when this rate is reached.

Consider a non-rotating moon-like object that is falling toward the sun when it is captured by earth's gravity causing it to orbit earth at around 250,000 miles away. From earth's point of view, this new moon would take around 27.3 days to orbit the earth during which time it will appear to rotate once in a retrograde direction.

Now, this moon has zero rotational energy and can lose no more rotation at all but tidal forces begin to have an effect on its rotation.

From earth's POV, and over time, the rotation of the moon will appear to slow down and at tidal locking, will appear to stop. But it hasn't slowed down, has it? It's speeded up from zero to one rotation per month. A force of acceleration was applied that overcame the inertial mass of the moon and it began to rotate. And that energy came from earth.

So the moon was 'forced' to turn; its tendency to move non-rotating in a straight line is being 'overcome' by some external force. It didn't turn itself.

But once tidal locking occurs that energy doesn't disappear; it is still being applied today.

Suppose you were waliking in a straight line down the street when someone who was stationary grabbed your left wrist causing you to turn immediately to your left; did you turn or were you turned?

And upon release, would you continue to turn?

What makes you so sure that it is not the same for the moon?

And in the case of a skater who is spinning while holding his partner by her hands, can it really be said that she has her own rotation? Look what happens if he drops her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Wh1stler wrote: »
    Consider a non-rotating moon-like object that is falling toward the sun when it is captured by earth's gravity causing it to orbit earth at around 250,000 miles away. From earth's point of view, this new moon would take around 27.3 days to orbit the earth during which time it will appear to rotate once in a retrograde direction.

Now, this moon has zero rotational energy and can lose no more rotation at all but tidal forces begin to have an effect on its rotation.

From earth's POV, and over time, the rotation of the moon will appear to slow down and at tidal locking, will appear to stop. But it hasn't slowed down, has it? It's speeded up from zero to one rotation per month. A force of acceleration was applied that overcame the inertial mass of the moon and it began to rotate. And that energy came from earth.

So the moon was 'forced' to turn; its tendency to move non-rotating in a straight line is being 'overcome' by some external force. It didn't turn itself.

But once tidal locking occurs that energy doesn't disappear; it is still being applied today.
    You have just explained perfectly how a body through the action of tidal forces is brought to synchronous rotation, one rotation per orbit. Whether the body is slowed down or speeded up is irrelevant.
    Suppose you were waliking in a straight line down the street when someone who was stationary grabbed your left wrist causing you to turn immediately to your left; did you turn or were you turned?

And upon release, would you continue to turn?

What makes you so sure that it is not the same for the moon?

And in the case of a skater who is spinning while holding his partner by her hands, can it really be said that she has her own rotation? Look what happens if he drops her.
    Flawed analogy again.
    A better one is someone grabbing your arm and spinning you around in a circle about your own axis, as this is what happened in your description above with the Moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Stick with it,don't mind me ,anyone else or anything you read or heard before,it is just the experiences of your body and how your own intelligence interprets the daily cycle and all the experiences in it.

My experience outside of the empirical fog suggests, as it suggested to most of humanity, that the Earth is static and the Sun revolves around it. The empirical fog ( i.e. scientific evidence) says other wise.
    It is easier to use the 3 day rule which bounds one rotation and 24 hour day to today and bookend it with one rotation yesterday and one rotation tomorrow thereby leapfrogging by one rotation/24 hour day always maintains the connection between one previous one with the current one and on to the next one.

it's not that much easier as that makes no sense.
    All this is really unneeded as you already know it yourself but indoctrinated reasoning has such a grip that it is hard to let go.But let go you eventually will.

I doubt it, in fact I learned in this thread about the solar day, read about it, and understood it ( thanks thread!). So I personally would have to abandon sanely written science with insanely written gibberish, which I feel reluctant to do. However I can hardly be called "indoctrinated" as I came in as innocent as a child of solar rotation. You would have to try harder to convince me that the rotation of the Earth is not 23h 56' 4"

Sure it is 24H local noon to local noon, but that tells us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

gkell3:
    Please answer the direct questions that were asked. You deflected circumpolar motion, yet that is exactly the same as solar rise/set or stellar rise/set. It's clear that you may be confused as to what you are trying to say.

Also, please re-state exactly what your point is, in simple bullsh|t-free short sentences so that we may try to understand what you are trying to say, and to avoid any possible confusion. This will allow those of us that do have a good and in-depth understanding of celestial mechanics to either refute your points accurately or to see where you were coming from.

Also please be very clear as to the points of reference that you are using for the measurement of the length of days. This is important, and it appears to be poorly understood by you.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Flawed analogy again.
    A better one is someone grabbing your arm and spinning you around in a circle about your own axis, as this is what happened in your description above with the Moon.

When the spinning moon cult is faced with their own absurdities they see it as an attack on their imaginative ideology and not as a chance to escape the mental fog which creates a spinning moon and likewise 'big bang'.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=MfU3AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA27&dq=moon+does+not+rotate&hl=en&ei=Ywt5TPu7DJDGswbJ58SyDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFgQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

It is not the proponents of a spinning moon or that the Earth does not rotate once in a day and day after day,it is people who are gifted with common sense who I look for.The unfamiliarity with astronomical scales of motions,time and space outside individual human experience is all that prevents people from approaching astronomy with a new and better perspective and this must begin with the education system and what students are taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

One rotation in step with 24 hours is a make or break observation

Why do you think the stars appear to make circles around the pole?

Because the Earth is turning on its axis. How long does it take to go around once? Well, every single star in the sky, even Polaris, makes one circumpolar circle every 23 hours 56 minutes. So if the Earth is not turning all the way around once in that time, the stars must be turning by 4 minutes in the opposite direction, around the Earth.

Yes folks, gkell thinks the fixed stars are turning around the Earth, once a year! He's a Geocentrist after all!

Popoutman wrote: »
    gkell3:
    Please answer the direct questions that were asked. You deflected circumpolar motion, yet that is exactly the same as solar rise/set or stellar rise/set. It's clear that you may be confused as to what you are trying to say.
    Thank you.

I have seen what indoctrination does so this is no surprise,the central fact is that a reasonable person with common sense is aware that the 24 hours of yesterday,the 24 hours of today and the 24 hours of tomorrow each represent one rotation of the Earth,when they move ahead one day/one rotation they can apply the same principle backwards or forwards one day/rotation without the slightest hesitation and there is no divergence.

You can't do that as your ideology insists on a 1465 rotation/1461 day imbalance.The Lat/Long system is based on 1461 AM/PM events enclosing 4 orbital periods of the Earth,the total length of the natural noon AM/PM cycles vary in length but as equalized to a standard 24 AM/PM cycle.

If you can find a way to cut Ante Meridiem/Post Meridiem from the rotation of the Earth and the 1461 times it occurs in 4 years/4 orbital circuits then good luck to you and especially the 24 hours of Feb 29th as one rotation of the Earth,one 24 hour AM/PM and another day everyone experiences as the 1461 rotation in a 4 year cycle.

It still amounts to one rotation and a 24 hour day keeping in step day after day so the challenges against this principle are extraordinary by any standard in history.The people driving 'big bang' and human control over global temperatures can't match the effect where the temperatures go up and down within a 24 hour period with the cause as one rotation of the Earth so the situation is chronic with no discernible platform other than these forums on which to contend with what is effectively a total collapse of basic reasoning in astronomical and terrestrail matters.

Why do you think the stars appear to make circles around the pole?

Because the Earth is turning on its axis. How long does it take to go around once? Well, every single star in the sky, even Polaris, makes one circumpolar circle every 23 hours 56 minutes. So if the Earth is not turning all the way around once in that time, the stars must be turning by 4 minutes in the opposite direction, around the Earth.

Yes folks, gkell thinks the fixed stars are turning around the Earth, once a year! He's a Geocentrist after all!

There are only two stars to consider,Sirius and our central Sun.

The orbital motion of the Earth puts Sirius behind the glare of the central Sun for roughly a few months.The ancients noticed that it appeared behind the glare at dawn and coincident with the flooding of the Nile but they also noticed that after 4 cycles of 365 days it didn't appear but appeared on the 1461 st day.This sets the proportion of days to annual cycles as 1461 days to 4 years which the Egyptians formatted as 3 years of 365 days and 1 year of 366 days.

Then you have the 1461 AM/PM cycles which are enclosed in the 4 annual cycles where the Earth turns to noon each day,the Equation of Time equalizes the variations in natural noon to 1461 cycles of 24 hours which are then used as a steady progression of 24 hour days.The fact that the steady progression of 24 hour days substitutes for steady rotation in tandem with the known fact that the 1/4 rotation's worth of orbital motion is left out in non leap years and picked up by the 24 hours of Feb 29th rotation/day is supposed to alert readers to the fact that although daily rotation is an independent motion,it is also combined with variable orbital motion so there is no external reference for constant rotation.The idea of steady 24 hours days and steady rotation is the closest we get as an observation.

Once you have the equal 24 hour day and a steady progression of days in the 365 day/366 calendar format that everyone uses day in and day out,you can then use these timekeeping averages to determine a star returns in 23 hours 56 minutes.As every goto telescope owner should tell you,it doesn't matter where on the Earth you put the scope,the circumpolar tracking will maintain the same speed whereas the Lat/Long system and its origins in the AM/PM cycle is based on a maximum equatorial speed of 1037.5 miles per hour reducing to 0 miles at the poles.

You don't have enough sense to know that right ascension reasoning is homocentric,it draws a dismal conclusion between a watch and circumpolar motion and loses what effectively distinguishes us as reasoning human beings from all other animals - the ability to accept that the Earth turns once in a day and 365 times in 365 days or in a leap year 366 times in 366 days.

It is quite an experience to encounter mass indoctrination yet that responsibility is mine until others engage in correcting this highly unstable narrative where the relationship between one day and all its experiences due to the rotation of the Earth is challenged.

There are only two stars to consider,Sirius and our central Sun.

Ok, take Sirius if you like, it does its circumpolar circle in exactly the same time as Dubhe, for exactly the same reason.

Can you remember how long that takes?

If the earth's rotation is not what causes Sirius to make a circumpolar circle, then what does, exactly?

I have seen what indoctrination does so this is no surprise,

I think you have confused indoctrination with education - something that appears to be sorely lacking by yourself. Not trying to be insulting, but you really do not understand what you are talking about here. You should do something about your ignorance here.

I asked about the points of reference as you misunderstand the implications.

Referencing a point on the celestial sphere (e.g. Sirius), it will pass local south (the other reference point necessary to define a system like this) every 23h 56m 4s, a time period called a Sidereal Day.

Referencing to the "Apparent Sun", this point will pass local south every 24h, a time period called the Solar day.

I fail to see what your overall point is - please clarify.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing."

"A little learning is a dangerous thing."
    Mine or gkell3's? ;)

I think you have confused indoctrination with education - something that appears to be sorely lacking by yourself. Not trying to be insulting, but you really do not understand what you are talking about here. You should do something about your ignorance here.

What is being practiced here is 'groupthink',despite the experience of one 24 hour rotation yesterday, today and tomorrow with the same continuation one day and one rotation after the next without divergence,you will fail to attach significance to it because your indoctrination only accepts 1465 rotations in 1461 days.Far from being an isolated exception,the set-up of this era encourages it -

"Ms Carragher believed it led the production team into a groupthink mentality where they were convinced that the facts verified their assumption"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0410/1224314568737.html

It is disturbing at the level where the primary experience of one 24 hour day and one rotation of the Earth keeping in step is challenged,even more so than the conclusion of a spinning moon or that humans can control global temperatures and so on because the immediate experience of all the daily events within a 24 hour day/rotation is never supposed to exist as a point of contention.The creationists may be a minor group within Christianity and they are essentially harmless, on the other hand,the crowd driving the 1465 rotation/1461 day imbalance dominate the education system and it should be a massive concern for everyone.

I asked about the points of reference as you misunderstand the implications.

Referencing a point on the celestial sphere (e.g. Sirius), it will pass local south (the other reference point necessary to define a system like this) every 23h 56m 4s, a time period called a Sidereal Day.

Referencing to the "Apparent Sun", this point will pass local south every 24h, a time period called the Solar day.

The Lat/Long system in tandem with the AM/PM cycle is exceptionally straightforward in that the equatorial Earth turns at a rate of 15 degrees/1037.5 miles at the equator in 1 hour and a complete 24901 mile circumference in 24 hours.The system works off the averaging process which converts the total length of natural noon into 24 hour AM/PM -

"Draw a Meridian line upon a floor and then hang two plummets, each by a small thread or wire, directly over the said Meridian, at the distance of some 2. feet or more one from the other, as the smallness of the thread will admit. When the middle of the Sun (the Eye being placed so, as to bring both the threads into one line) appears to be in the same line exactly.. you are then immediately to set the Watch, not precisely to the hour of 12. but by so much less, as is the Aequation of the day by the Table." Huygens

http://adcs.home.xs4all.nl/Huygens/06/kort-E.html

Once they created the equal day using the 1461 natural noon AM/PM cycles in tandem with the 24 hour AM/PM cycles across 4 orbital periods,and a full set of Equation of Time tables to take account of Feb 29th was created by John Harrison,they could use the system to time the return of a star in circumpolar motion as a convenience within the 365/366 day calendar format.It is almost a trivial observation that would normally act as a convenience for predicting lunar and solar eclipses but they went too far and decided that watches could model the motions of the Earth and they have been trying to bury the Lat/Long system in tandem with the AM/PM cycles ever since.The wreckage of modeling planetary dynamics with clocks or rather,trying to reverse engineer the 24 hour day to support circumpolar motion, is antecedent to this era which tries to model everything with computers with disruptive consequences insofar they do not model climate,they conclude that humans can control planetary temperature and create the inputs to support that assertion.

There are no two ways about the conclusion that 'groupthink' is being exercised on a phenomenal scale and by different groups as there is no way to account for the attack on the primary experience of one 24 hour day and one rotation of the Earth keeping in step.I have discovered that the normal approach of compromise to the magnification guys to treat Ra/Dec as a convenience doesn't work nor the empiricist community who are hellbent in following Newton's toxic strain.

Irrespective,the daily experiences of one 24 hour today will follow another one tomorrow, the day after that and continue on,this and this alone is the foundation of astronomy and the most immediate human experience of it,nothing more and nothing less.Maybe people refuse to accept that the correspondence between a 24 hour day and a rotation is challenged as it is something so obvious that people don't give it any thought but that it is challenged then perhaps people should give it some thought.

Again,groupthink is nasty -

"..the term groupthink as a quick and easy way to refer to the mode of thinking that persons engage in when concurrence-seeking becomes so dominant in a cohesive ingroup that it tends to override realistic appraisal of alternative courses of action. Groupthink is a term of the same order as the words in the newspeak vocabulary George Orwell used in his dismaying world of 1984. In that context, groupthink takes on an invidious connotation. Exactly such a connotation is intended, since the term refers to a deterioration in mental efficiency, reality testing and moral judgments as a result of group pressures" Groupthink commentary

gkell, don't forget about Sirius, will you? How long does one circumpolar circle take? What causes one circumpolar circle?

• Advertisement

gkell3:
    You've completely ignored my point. Care to actually answer it this time? Please stay on-topic, as you appear to do a lot of handwaving away from the question.

What is your point overall, given that there is one thing known as a Sidereal day, measured as the time difference when a star is due south to the next time that a star is due south; and there is another thing that is known as the "apparent Sun" that gives a slightly different time to being due south.
    One is 23hr56m4s ,and the other is 24 hrs.

What is the cause of your confusion about this? What can we try to explain that will alleviate your confusion?

Again, please try to keep it short and on-topic.

Please answer without diverting away with your handwaving about christianity, Newton, planetary temperature, "groupthink" etc. These are not relevant to my point.

Please explain your confusion about the fact that there can be different lengths of days, depending on the point of reference you choose to define your start point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

GKell or any variant thereof, won't be replying to anyone questions anymore as he has had his forum access removed.

Cheers

DrG

You have just explained perfectly how a body through the action of tidal forces is brought to synchronous rotation, one rotation per orbit. Whether the body is slowed down or speeded up is irrelevant.

Flawed analogy again.

Does a photon acquire rotation when its path is curved by a strong gravitational field?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Does a photon acquire rotation when its path is curved by a strong gravitational field?

A photon as a particle generally has a spin characteristic anyway.

shizz wrote: »
    A photon as a particle generally has a spin characteristic anyway.

So it spins faster (or slower) in the presence of gravity?

If the moons spins as it goes around the earth then a photon must spin as a result of gravitational lensing.

So it spins faster (or slower) in the presence of gravity?

I'm not sure but I've only ever heard of the direction of it's spin being a characteristic not how fast or slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Spin in regards to particle physics doesn't have much to do with a particle actually spinning (I think).

In fact, I dunno if talking about electrons spinning (physically) even makes much sense. It's thought that the electron doesn't have any volume (it's a point particle).

Something with zero volume can't really physically spin. Or at least it wouldn't make much sense as it has no sides.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was wondering about this problem myself, but any time I seen a description of a particle spinning they always showed it actually spinning and said that for example one might spin clockwise and the other anti-clockwise (with regards to quantum entanglement). So unless they are dumbing down the term I don't see what they could mean.

Advertisement