Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i buy a beware of dog sign

• 20-02-2012 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

hi folks i don't know if i should be posting this here but dose any one know where i can buy a beware of dog please close the gate sign,in either limerick or cork i have a post man who just keeps forgetting km close the gate after him

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭chasm

Most hardware stores sell those sort of signs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I have two large dogs hence hence the reason i want my gate kept closed

Get a big lock for the gate. The postman can just launch the mail over it, just leave a window open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

get one of these so the postman doesnt have to come in?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outside-Lockable-Letter-Letterbox-PostBox/dp/B000RE5ER8

or change the hinges on the gate to self closing ones, would cost more but would do a better job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got mine on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

put a spring on the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I agree that a spring would probably be easiest.

AFAIK having a 'beware of dogs' sign can be seen as an admission that your dogs may be agressive and could land you in legal hot water. Better would be a 'Dogs running free' sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

All the above suggestions would solve your problems but if you want a sign as well, you can get ones made really cheap in most home value hardware stores with whatever you want written on them.

I would just add that Kylith has a point. We have 3 RB dogs and looked into the 'Beware of Dog' signs, it turns out, there's a whole legal minefield involved:rolleyes:

we settled on a sign from PetMania, that just says

My(breed of dog) Lives Here, with a picture of said breed, so the illiterate can understand(IYKWIM).

While my situation is different from yours, my dogs are never out front, It has done the trick and now I have no problem with unwanted guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

An easier solution might be putting a post box on the wall outside the gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I got mine in Kinsealy pet shop a couple of years ago.

Like Kylith said, I wasn't sure if Beware of Dogs would be an admission of anything so I got one that said Dogs Roaming Free. You can't see all of my garden through the metal gate so if someone came in they could be well into the driveway before they realised I had 6 dogs booting down the garden barking. Not a situation I want to be in.

You can get a different wording

72462.jpg

Or get a bungee cord and tie to gate and some weight, that'll hold the gate shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I saw signs for 1.50 in a shop in the ilac centre dublin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Homevalue Hardware have them and probably most hardware stores even the 2 Euro shop has them sometimes. But they don't work lol I have some and noone pays attention to them (regular visitors do but not delivery folks) they will still leave a gate open.
    Only answer is to padlock but the spring on the gate is a really good idea.
    Padlock works wonders, you can use the dogs bark or get a wee door bell beside the gate and a wee postbox.

Naughty postie should know better, if a gate is closed when they head in they should close it after, between dogs and small kids they should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Pet Mania have a wide range of signs, including ones with the breed picture, which can be either mounted on the gate or placed in the window. We had a problem years ago with the postman giving the dog the post and we would find it all over the garden, so we put up a postbox on the inside of the wall, so its not visible to everyone but the postman knows its there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I got mine in Kinsealy pet shop a couple of years ago.

Like Kylith said, I wasn't sure if Beware of Dogs would be an admission of anything so I got one that said Dogs Roaming Free. You can't see all of my garden through the metal gate so if someone came in they could be well into the driveway before they realised I had 6 dogs booting down the garden barking. Not a situation I want to be in.

tbh i was told it was an admission of liability to have one up

Advertisement