Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Bill and Dogs

• 20-02-2012 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask or if it's allowed, delete if necessary.

The bill that was passed for home owner defence, would it cover your dog biting/attacking a burglar.

My GSD is just a pet, not trained in anyway for defence/guarding and would most likely run away if a burglar threw him his ball:rolleyes: but all dogs can be protective of their owners. The JRT would probably put up a fight:pac:

I am just curious, a man in the midlands lately was defended by his old GSD that was a pet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

well a guy just recently got aquitted of shooting a buglar so im sure they'll have a clause in the bill that makes it non-applicable in criminal circumstances. hopefully :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

^^^True, point taken, it's a pity they wouldn't pass a bill then that can prevent a criminal suing you for damages incurred by their own actions when breaking the law.

Although being Ireland, they will probably make you put down the dog yourself, take out a full page apology in the paper to the burglar, pay them a large sum of money for their inconvenience and ban you from ever owning a dog again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I was wondering the same thing myself recently but never got around to asking.

As far as I am aware any dog that bites in Ireland by law has to be put to sleep regardless of the circumstances. I do not know if there is a special pardon for a dog protecting its owner but I highly doubt it. I would certainly hope if it was the case that a dog who had bitten a burglar protecting their owner was going to be put to sleep then the country would rally around and protest.

personally if a burglar came into my home, between myself and dolly he'd be very lucky to make it to the police. bill or no bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware any dog that bites in Ireland by law has to be put to sleep regardless of the circumstances.

The only way you can be made have your dog PTS would be through a court order I think. Although I could be wrong there too. :) I do know that you don't automatically have to put your dog down for biting.

• Advertisement

exactly. if that was the case every personal protection dog trained to 'grip & hold' would have to be PTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Do whatever you need to do to protect yourself, your family and your property. Use whatever means are at hand - dog, golf club, baseball bat, gun, (car??) etc.

Worry about the technicalities after you are safe.

It's not the postman who'd be getting bitten here, and it would be up to the DPP whether to prosecute and up to the judge/jury to decide the reasonabless of the home defense.

Hope it never happens though - I believe a dog in the home is the best deterrant of all - prevention over cure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

We got our GSD as a deterent and it has worked wonders. I was having problems with diesel theft but not any more. My rottie is the best and we never intentionally decided to have one, it was a rescue/rehome, she just throws a dirty look out the sitting room window and like magic, those of whome we don't speak disappear;)

Advertisement