Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia c202 -how to disable internet usage on h/s

Options
  • 20-02-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Have a nokia c2-02 prepay vodafone handset. its using credit ,(even when switched off) roughly 99c per day in 2c decrements. Have free texts and dont make calls . Called VF, they confirmed its internet usage but couldnt help as to fixing issue. Tried renaming access points, cant seem to delete them. but no luck
    Anyone have same issue and have managed to resolve it?? I know i could ask VF to disable it altogether but Im told this would mean I cannot receive pic msgs?

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

delete apn and it has no way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

i know but how spongebob?

settings>internet I think. it will be called live.vodafone.ie or similar, change that to *x* and it should not work anymore.

hmmm ,yeah delete or edit options not available..weird!

add a new APN and make it default.

settings > connectivity > destinations > add new apn

make it internet , then go into options , organise change priority and make it higher priroity than the other one or move the other one from intenet leaving only the new apn as an internet 'destination' or apn

• Advertisement

right ted! Il try that...thanks :)

tried that...thought it worked, but lo and behold, credit decreasing in decremements of 7 & 25c !! gonna take out the sim...its only happened since weve started using this phone...and no matter what i do, it seems to default back to the VF settings. :(
    thanks anyway spongebob..il take it to VF shop but i dont hold out much hope !

You will have to 'debrand' the phone to get generic firmware onto it instead of whatever hack vodafone have done to hide the data APN settings.

Fancy doing that. Need laptop and cable.

tell me more spongebob..have both ready !!

Debranding ( on a Nokia) is as simple as changing a downloaded generic firmware name to the unique Vodafone Ireland firmware name and it will upgrade the phone.

Lets say Vodas unique branding code is 12435 on a C202

Eg if Vodas last approved firmware version is c202-v20-12435.file and the latest generic filename is c202-V31-12999.file you rename the generic filename downloaded by you on your pc to read c202-v31-12435.file and it will upgrade the phone overwriting the older non generic version.

Apart from overwriting Vodafone crapware that came with the phone it will give you full control.

Read this for more details.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76947849

• Advertisement

great one, thanks spongebob, gonna hold onto that ! for now theyve disabled APN from their side, via vodafone.ie forum, and they're refunding "lost" credit. pity the agent on the other end of the line couldnt have advised of same....thanks for all your help spongebob !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

vodafone should be able to disable data access on your account from their side - i know o2 were able to do it for me previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

readmylips wrote: »
    Have a nokia c2-02 prepay vodafone handset. its using credit ,(even when switched off) roughly 99c per day in 2c decrements. Have free texts and dont make calls . Called VF, they confirmed its internet usage but couldnt help as to fixing issue. Tried renaming access points, cant seem to delete them. but no luck
    Anyone have same issue and have managed to resolve it?? I know i could ask VF to disable it altogether but Im told this would mean I cannot receive pic msgs?

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

I'm not sure of that handset, but on my e7 I had a similar problem (although I have a decent gb bundle that doesn't really affect quota) so I just went to settings - connectivity - settings - turn data to wlan only and switch it back to automatic/home network only when I want to use data. You could always use the always ask option if you prefer.

yeah, turned off APN from their side and promised to refund credit as it was a factory setting that they cudnt even switch off from the handset....still waiting on credit tho !! Vodafones "now! and my now are obviously two different things !!

Advertisement