Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennants want out then changed their minds

Options
  • 20-02-2012 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Some one suggested that I post here as both of us just had similar experiences but on the other side of the fence.

Basically I got a registered letter from a tenant saying they want to break the lease 3 months in to it (12 month fixed lease). I explained to them that it simple wasn't a case of them handing in their notice and leaving. Both parties have signed a one years lease with the tenants also got a guarantorto sign (not requested). Tenants are resisted with PTRB.

I was happy for them to quit provided they found a new tenant to take up the lease. If they couldn't find one I said that I would get the estate agent to find one but at their expense. I also reserved the right to take the issue to the PTRB (I believe these are the correct people) for the remainder of the lease.

I explained that I hoped things didn't come to this as I just wanted the issue resolved and protect myself.

They have since come back to me and said they now want to stay. At this stage I think they maybe more effort than they are worth. Do I have to accept their cancellation of their notice to quit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Well considering you are bound to the lease in the same way that they are then Id say the lease hasnt been broken by them until they hand you back the keys. I could be wrong but Id say you will have to accept their decision to stay. However you would be within your rights to recoup any expenses you might have incurred in trying to replace them after they gave you notice.

Did they give a reason why they wanted to break the lease? Could be a perfectly valid reason such as them losing their job and being afaid of not being able to afford the rent, but subsequently found a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

No, you can't evict them.

Advertisement