Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUH ban smoking on its premises

Options
  • 20-02-2012 12:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

GUH is to ban smoking on its properties at UHG and Merlin Park from this week. Noticed lines of blue paint decorating the threshold of the UHG entrances over the weekend.
    Does anyone know how this will be policed or are there sanctions?
    Given that approx a third of adults smoke, does this mean we will be witnessing a line of citizens strung along Newcastle Road & gathering at the westside roundabout at all hours and all weathers in wheelchairs, nursing uniforms & dragging drips with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Your 1/3 figure is too high. It is less than 1/4 and falling.

Will they be wearing all that gear together?

Smokers are jokers my man. Move with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

That may be the case Yeehaw but it is pretty unfair to make people go the distance to the hospital entrances in the kind of weather we get in Galway to have a smoke!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Don't think GUH are going to be the last. A few of the major hospitals are looking into trialing this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I wonder how successful it will be.

A sizeable minority of smokers will still light up, no matter what.

Are there any plans to provide nicotine replacement threapy (patches / gum / etc) for patients?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

dilallio wrote: »
    I wonder how successful it will be.

A sizeable minority of smokers will still light up, no matter what.

Are there any plans to provide nicotine replacement threapy (patches / gum / etc) for patients?

Hospitals already do that if patients want them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It common in other countries, e.g. Sweden, Australia, ... to have smoking prohibited on hospital grounds.
    Staff are often given free advice on how to stop smoking. I suppose hardcore smokers can still buy and use e-cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

As someone who doesn't smoke but is in the hospitial regularily, I think this is a good thing.
    There is nothing worse than having to force your way out the door through a crowd of people smoking as close to the door as possible.
    UCHG did have a gazebo beside the main door for smokers just around the corner but i once heard a group of smokers outside the main door complain that the smoke in the gazebo was terrible so they wouldn't use it.
    If smokers aren't willing to be beside other smokers why should non-smokers have to put up with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I'm a smoker and I support this.

It's horrible having to walk out doorways where there's 10 people huddled around having a smoke, I can only imagine what it's like when you're ill.

I don't really agree with how much smokers have been criminalised in recent times, but a lot of the leeway afforded to them is ridiculous. Fag breaks at work should be made illegal, I don't know any other addictions that employers are happy to support in such a way.

Sad state of affairs when someone who likes to unwind with a few friends smoking a joint is a criminal, but it's ok to go and get your nicotine hit every few hours on company time.

I think the issue of people having cig breaks while on work time is a separate issue and has nothing to do with the people who are temporarily resident in the hospital having a cigarette:confused:

By all means introduce a ban on employees smoking on their work time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'd be very much in favour of this.

I believe this was introduced in James hospital in Blanchardtown a few years ago.

• Advertisement

See, I'm a smoker and to be honest I don't smoke much during the day at all so a ban of this sort would not bother me at all......

however, if I was stuck in the hospital for any considerable length of time and had to trudge out to the main gates of the hospital for a cigarette I would really hate it. I just think it's pretty excessive.

Why not enforce the rule that smoking is limited to the gazebo thingys which i'd imagine would take the same effort as to enforce the rule of no smoking on the whole property??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So what happens if someone decides to light up behind a hedge or crouch down behind a car and are noticed by enforcement (who are they?) ?
    What if you are walking through the property taking a short-cut and light up?

snubbleste wrote: »
    So what happens if someone decides to light up behind a hedge or crouch down behind a car and are noticed by enforcement (who are they?) ?
    What if you are walking through the property taking a short-cut and light up?

I dunno......I suppose they will be fined!! That's usually the penalty for these kind of things.

I wonder too if people will be sitting in their cars puffing away.

Car park will look like multiple stacks of little chimneys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

however, if I was stuck in the hospital for any considerable length of time and had to trudge out to the main gates of the hospital for a cigarette I would really hate it. I just think it's pretty excessive.

If you are sick enough to need to be in hospital, then surely smoking - which has no health benefits, and a lot of very well documented negative side-effects - is the last thing you should be doing.

IMHO the only negative is that we don't actually have enough mental-health professionals with the training to treat substance abusers who need to get off nicotene.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fag breaks at work should be made illegal, I don't know any other addictions that employers are happy to support in such a way.
    Maybe but with most jobs your supposed to take a 10 minute break every hour. Especially if your sitting in front of a computer, so it makes no difference you should be on a break either way.

If you are sick enough to need to be in hospital, then surely smoking - which has no health benefits, and a lot of very well documented negative side-effects - is the last thing you should be doing.

Good lord, I wondered how long it would take for someone to fire in with this old debate.............:rolleyes:

I'll be sure to pass that on to the 85 yr old I may possibly see in the lashing of rains out on University Rd if this banning happens.

I'm sure they'll be terribly appreciative of it!!

Again I'll ask>>>>>>>>>>
    Why not enforce the rule that smoking is limited to the gazebo thingys which i'd imagine would take the same effort as to enforce the rule of no smoking on the whole property??

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

ScumLord wrote: »
    Maybe but with most jobs your supposed to take a 10 minute break every hour. Especially if your sitting in front of a computer, so it makes no difference you should be on a break either way.

Go on out of that. Surely that 10 minutes is your lunchbreak? 1 hour off= 6 hours work plus 20 minutes @ 11am = 10 minutes break for every hour of an 8 hour working day. This does not mean you get an additional 10 minutes every hour to smoke.

And it's you're.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ScumLord wrote: »

10 minutes away from the computer is not the same as 10 minutes not working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Again I'll ask>>>>>>>>>>

I presume it is symbolic, to reinforce the health implications and general incompatibality of smoking in relation to healthcare provision.
    This time next year, we'll be wondering how we ever thought it acceptable for people to smoke in hospital car parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

UHG is officially part of the Health Promoting Hospital Network, AFAIK.

IMO that should mean facilitating people to quit smoking, rather than to continue doing so.

That gazebo is ugly, as is the sight of people huddled in or near it. The smoke drifting up the corridor towards the Maternity Unit is also vile, in my experience.

I hope HSE West is offering nicotine replacement and smoking cessation support as a matter of routine. (They're already plying mothers with free infant formula in the maternity ward, BTW, but that's another story).

Smokers have to do without inhaling tobacco fumes on long haul flights, for example, so why not in a hospital?

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Smokers have to do without inhaling tobacco fumes on long haul flights, for example, so why not in a hospital?

The main problem i would see with this is that there are not many long haul flights that would be longer than 1-2 days or even in excess of weeks......

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Good lord, I wondered how long it would take for someone to fire in with this old debate.............:rolleyes:

I'll be sure to pass that on to the 85 yr old I may possibly see in the lashing of rains out on University Rd if this banning happens.

I'm sure they'll be terribly appreciative of it!!

Again I'll ask>>>>>>>>>>

This was the exact situation with my nan (82) getting a hip replacement in Limerick. Look if you dont smoke,fine fair play to you, but you have to realise that everone has some vice and this is unfair at best. In my nans case the nurses let her smoke out on the balconey and said nothing (most nures I know smoke btw) At least have one designated are out the back where people can go and not get drenched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The main problem i would see with this is that there are not many long haul flights that would be longer than 1-2 days or even in excess of weeks......

Perhaps, but in the past much BS was spouted by smokers about how they were being criminalised and how their rights were being trampled on when smoking was banned on flights of any duration.

There was a bit of hoo-ha when the workplace smoking ban was introduced here some years ago, but in fact many smokers supported it. I doubt that many smokers -- including long-term nicotine addicts -- are truly happy with their state of dependence.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Perhaps, but in the past much BS was spouted by smokers about how they were being criminalised and how their rights were being trampled on when smoking was banned on flights of any duration.

There was a bit of hoo-ha when the workplace smoking ban was introduced here some years ago, but in fact many smokers supported it. I doubt that many smokers -- including long-term nicotine addicts -- are truly happy with their state of dependence.

Again you keep missing my point..............

I have no problem with smoking not being allowed on planes and right into the faces of non-smokers. To expect to be able to smoke in such a situation is ridiculous in my opinion and so you may move on for that side of your argument....

Whether longterm smokers are happy with their state of dependence is frankly not the issue here as I've already said to Just Mary:(

The issue is that the hospital could enforce a "smoking only permitted in the gazebo" rule just as easily/efficiently as they seem to be planning to do with the "no smoking permitted on the hospital grounds" rule.

It means
    1. The smell of smoke won't be wafting up to the maternity unit up that very very long long corridor as one poster suggested

2. The hoardes of smokers huddled at the front doors could be eliminated and thereby allow the non-smokers unhindered access to the hospital building

3. Smokers will then not have to stand outside the hospital in the Galway weather we all know so well. (today being a prime example)

I cannot see in which way that would not suit smoker and non-smoker alike??

Also, what about residents in hospitals such as Merlin Park......How in blazes could you expect to enact such a rule with the distance there a patient would have to venture in order to smoke if they wished????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm an out patient in St. Vincents University Hospital in Dublin and they have had the policy for years, signs up all over the place saying smoking is banned on hospital grounds, doesn't stop people just crossing the road from the front door, sitting on a bench and lighting up.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm an out patient in St. Vincents University Hospital in Dublin and they have had the policy for years, signs up all over the place saying smoking is banned on hospital grounds, doesn't stop people just crossing the road from the front door, sitting on a bench and lighting up.

Hi Seaneh,
    I'm not familiar with St. Vincents.... but do you mean that they are still within the confines of the hospital property or do they actually leave it?

Hi Seaneh,
    I'm not familiar with St. Vincents.... but do you mean that they are still within the confines of the hospital property or do they actually leave it?

The signs say "Smoking is prohibited on hospital grounds", the grounds are huge and go all the way from the front door to Merrion road on one side and Nutley lane on the other. and then the other two sides are the elm park golf club and Gowan motors.

People don't leave the grounds though, they just walk across the road from the door to the the benches.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The signs say "Smoking is prohibited on hospital grounds", the grounds are huge and go all the way from the front door to Merrion road on one side and Nutley lane on the other. and then the other two sides are the elm park golf club and Gowan motors.

People don't leave the grounds though, they just walk across the road from the door to the the benches.

I see, maybe the same thing then is to happen in Galway......Thanks:)

I honestly have no problem with non-smokers not wanting to breathe in cig fumes (Why would they?) but to suggest a patient would have to walk from the doors of a unit in Merlin Park hospital to the gates out the front is a bit ludicrous!

Oh, and by the way, I feel the Hospital is not only within their rights to ban smoking on their grounds, but I think it's a great idea and hope they enforce the ruling a lot more efficiently than I've seen the lads in St. Vincents doing so.

Nothing worse than the smell of stale smoke when walking into or out of a building. It's already annoying that nowhere in the country enforces the law (no smoking within 10 meters of the enterance of a public building).

Next up should be bus stops.

I f*cking hate sitting at a bus stop and having to move because some gomey c*nt lights up a fag instead of pissing off outside where the wind will carry the smoke away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Coming soon:

MIKOMS car window tinting service.
    Find us across from UCHG.

Advertisement