Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription Mask Recommendations?

• 20-02-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭

I am short-sighted and looking for a prescription mask that won't cost a fortune. Here's the info I have so far:
    • I could get a Mares X Vision plus the drop-in lenses for about €110 from scubastore.com
    • I could buy a mask alone from scubastore and get Specsavers to fit lenses to it (they said over the phone that this would cost about €60)

I've heard that drop-in lenses are a better job than getting lenses attached to a mask so at the moment I'm inclined to go for that option. The mask will be used for freediving so it needs to be fairly low volume.

i'm looking for anyone with experience buying prescription masks to tell me what they use or if there are any good deals out there.

Thanks in advance.

[note to mods: I don't think I'm breaking any advertising rules if I keep this an impartial discussion? If I'm wrong I apologise]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 seandive

Hi
    That price for the Mares with lenses is very good compared to uk online.
    I have used a Tusa liberator plus for a good few years, when the mask gets too old, you can reuse the lenses with another Tusa liberator mask.

If your prescription is bad, soft contacts would be the way to go.
    I have used daily disposables with zero problem.
    Hope that is of some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Thanks for the info seandive.

I found that scubatoys.com sell these same lenses for about €30 so I filled out the "minimum price guarantee" form on scubastore and I'm hoping they will match the price so I can order the lot all together.

I'm still interested if anyone has any more tips or information about prescription masks in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Nathan no really comment on presciption end of it but the X vision is a little big volume imho for freediving, are you pure freediving or spearing? Spearing I'd say fine pure freediving look for minima or similar. Also it was prob just me but I found the liquid skin skirt on the mask irritating in comparison to a load of other masks I have tried using regular soft silicone. try it on if you can somewhere but like I say might have been just me.

I guess I'd hope to move to spearing later on. I'm just starting off at freediving I've only done a bit of snorkeling so far.

I think I'd love the minima but that doesn't have an option for drop-in lenses so I steered away from it.

The X Vision comes in liquid and regular versions and I hadn't really decided which one to go for yet I just heard it was a good mask. Thanks for the input. I'll try to find a shop to try it on or maybe someone in my club has one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Check this out:

https://www.apnea.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1405

Prescription lenses are available

Seadeuce

• Advertisement

That's actually not a bad price: about €95 including shipping.

Thanks seadeuce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

If it helps, I'm short-sighted too and use disposable contacts under an 'ordinary' mask. Only intended this to be a temporary thing when I first got into diving a couple of years ago, but I've never had a problem with it and so haven't seen any real reason to change.

Thanks Duffryman. Glad it works out for you but I'd rather not take the risk. I've heard a few horror stories about infection from swimming with contacts. Maybe those people didn't use disposable ones though.

I actually just ordered a Cressi Focus mask from Francis Jenkins at NorthWest Dive Shop. He's been very helpful I must say.

Advertisement