Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to CAO for the second time.

Options
  • 20-02-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

When I was in 6th year (2010) I applied to CAO to do computing level 7 in DKIT. I got offered the course but dropped out after failing exams in first year. I was recieving the maitenence grant. When I left college I signed onto the dole and i'm currently doing a FAS course atm.

I'm aware that the CAO application time is running out. When is the next time I can apply for CAO?

And becauce I recieved the maintence grand last year Will I be entitled to any other grant next yr should I go to college? otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford the fees and I'd rather be at college than on the dole tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

As far as I'm aware, the CAO deadline for this year is probably closed until next school year, the CAO website will probably tell you more though.

As for your grant, I'm fairly sure you won't receive it for the first year of a new course, but you should be eligible for it for the remainder of the course. It might be worthwhile trying to save what you can to get by without a grant for first year, as you should receive it in the following years.

I think that's the situation anyway, but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

http://www.cao.ie/apply.php

You can apply again from 5th of March.

Last deadline is 1st of May. I'm not sure about the grant situation, maybe someone more knowledgeable here could answer that. If not you could try citizens information they provide free advice on education issues as far as i'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

elvis99 wrote: »
    http://www.cao.ie/apply.php

You can apply again from 5th of March.

Last deadline is 1st of May. I'm not sure about the grant situation, maybe someone more knowledgeable here could answer that. If not you could try citizens information they provide free advice on education issues as far as i'm aware.

CAO is opening back up tomorrow when is it shutting again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

James__10 wrote: »
    CAO is opening back up tomorrow when is it shutting again?

The CAO website has all the dates.

Just to note: You cannot apply to many colleges as a mature student after the end of February (whatever that round is called. I found this out the hard way :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

As far as im aware you are not eligble for a grant until the remainder of the time you would have been in the original course. So if it was a 4 year course you wont be eligble until the 4th year is finished. Thats what I was told when i applied for a grant on my second time in college and I wasn't even in receipt of a grant the first time i was in college.

Also for your first years college, as you have already done/registered for one year you may have to pay additional tuition fees on top of registration fees, depending on where you study the cost will be different. Last year and this year cost me 4 grand each.

(really regret leaving in the first place!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement